Hello all
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Registered User Free Member micah24's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Hello all

Hello there. Just signed up yesterday. I am to leave Sept. 3. I put in for CC as my MOS. Anyway, just to let you know a little 'bout myself, I'm 24 years old, and after about 3 years of college I decided I'd take a break and earn a little $$$ and serve the country. I'd like to one day finish up a 4 year degree while in, and who knows, perhaps become an officer one day. Anyway, I realize I'm not a marine yet, but those are the goals.

I've been doing some PT regularly, and right now I've got the 3 miles in about 22:16 and 3 pull-ups, which sucks, but I've just started working on the pull-ups. I can do about 62 pushups in 2 min. flat, and 70 situps in the same time.

Any advice from people "in the know" would be appreciated. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    CC ...??? The Marine Corps now does crunches. The stats that you are giving loooks good of course except for the pullups or course. Ask as many questions as you wish, that is what we are here for. Welcome Aboard and good luck on # Sept. Where are you from and which Depot will you be going to...???

Work on those pullups, concentrate more on the pullups/situps as they are the most important part of the PFT. After boot 100 situps will be a breeze. Increasing your pullups is by far the hardest part

Goodluck

p.s Marine is always capatalized :P

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by GySgtRet
    CC ...??? The Marine Corps now does crunches. The stats that you are giving loooks good of course except for the pullups or course. Ask as many questions as you wish, that is what we are here for. Welcome Aboard and good luck on # Sept. Where are you from and which Depot will you be going to...???
    CC is all the finance, supply, and accounting stuff.
    I had an overall asvab score of 97, and my highest line score was clerical with a 133, so I figured I'd go with what I was best at. I thought about infantry for a minute, and then I slapped myself. I figure I'll get enough infantry just being a Marine. I'm from Alabama, so I get to go to Paris Island.

Originally posted by StefanovicN

p.s Marine is always capatalized :P
    Thanks for the heads-up .

I know the PT will be hard, but the part of boot camp that I'm actually concerned about is the combat water survival training. I'm not that strong of a swimmer, although I can swim. Reading that story about the kid drowning during boot camp didn't help much, but from what I hear, he was kinda mental.

Originally posted by micah24

I had an overall asvab score of 97, and my highest line score was clerical with a 133, so I figured I'd go with what I was best at. I thought about infantry for a minute, and then I slapped myself. I figure I'll get enough infantry just being a Marine. I'm from Alabama, so I get to go to Paris Island.

Thanks for the heads-up .

I know the PT will be hard, but the part of boot camp that I'm actually concerned about is the combat water survival training. I'm not that strong of a swimmer, although I can swim. Reading that story about the kid drowning during boot camp didn't help much, but from what I hear, he was kinda mental.
    I'm not a very strong swimmer myself and I can assure you to pass it's really not that difficult. Even if you have trouble with swimming, seperate instructors will take you aside and give you one on one instruction and you will have a full week to pass. As far as advice for bootcamp, I really recommend you concentrate on physical fitness like you have and don't worry about Marine Corps knowledge(I.E.; general orders, rank structure). You will have more than enough time to learn everything you need to know in recruit training.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You will have more than enough time to learn everything you need to know in recruit training.
    BREAK OUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE! Geez, if I had a nickel for everytime they said that...

Originally posted by yellowwing

BREAK OUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE! Geez, if I had a nickel for everytime they said that...
    The knowledge books are more of a calender than anything to stare at and count down the days. I didn't know one single recruit that didn't make a calender in back of the book.

Hahaha so true miguelito

I remember mine was nice and elaborate - I actually had my mom send me the training matrix, and wrote down what we were doing for each training day, my calender was the "recruit favorite"

Originally posted by micah24

Get enough infantry just being a Marine? WTF! Negative. Have fun crunching numbers while everyone else is busy killing bad guys. Slapped yourself ? Why? Cuz you knew you wouldnt be able to handle a 15 mile hump or was it cuz the fact that you knew you might have to be in shape to be a grunt? LoL. Thats cool your going to be a Marine and all but remember...... if you cant be an athelete , your just a jockstrap .

My 2 cent worth of advice to micah24, I would stick to my studies till you get your degree.
    Than, you could have a choice of enlisted or going to OCS to become an Officer of Marines.
    You might ask why I'm saying all this.
    When I look to the reason you're going to enlist, its $$$ while serving the country.
    After going through boot camp, you will learn that many serve not for money but to cover the 6 (rear end or back) of their fellow Marines.
    I would suggest to you to read "Keeping Faith" by a father and son last name Schaeffer.
    The son's name is John at the time in the book he was a Corporal in the United States Marine Corps.
    In this book, you will read that it took a great deal of time to get a secret clearance because he was born overseas to Americans parents.
    Years from your active service, money will be the last thing on your mind, you will only remember the good and bad times.
    Yes, there will be bad times, as the weather a little rain will fall.
    There will be good Marines, and some that will never live up to the promises of boot camp, dued to their being weak in character.
    I hope that you won't take offence to what I stating.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by outlaw3179

Get enough infantry just being a Marine? WTF! Negative. Have fun crunching numbers while everyone else is busy killing bad guys. Slapped yourself ? Why? Cuz you knew you wouldnt be able to handle a 15 mile hump or was it cuz the fact that you knew you might have to be in shape to be a grunt? LoL. Thats cool your going to be a Marine and all but remember...... if you cant be an athelete , your just a jockstrap .
    I was just referring to the fact that every Marine is supposed to be a rifleman first. I'm not knocking the infantry. I just know that is not what I want to do as my MOS in the Marines.

Originally posted by MillRatUSMC
    My 2 cent worth of advice to micah24, I would stick to my studies till you get your degree.
    Than, you could have a choice of enlisted or going to OCS to become an Officer of Marines.
    You might ask why I'm saying all this.
    When I look to the reason you're going to enlist, its $$$ while serving the country.
    After going through boot camp, you will learn that many serve not for money but to cover the 6 (rear end or back) of their fellow Marines.
    I would suggest to you to read "Keeping Faith" by a father and son last name Schaeffer.
    The son's name is John at the time in the book he was a Corporal in the United States Marine Corps.
    In this book, you will read that it took a great deal of time to get a secret clearance because he was born overseas to Americans parents.
    Years from your active service, money will be the last thing on your mind, you will only remember the good and bad times.
    Yes, there will be bad times, as the weather a little rain will fall.
    There will be good Marines, and some that will never live up to the promises of boot camp, dued to their being weak in character.
    I hope that you won't take offence to what I stating.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo
    No offence taken. However, I have signed on the dotted line, so I intend to fulfill my obligation. I guess only time will tell if the decision was the right one.

Registered User Free Member bobang's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    micah 24 your gonna be in a world of hurt when you get in there,which is good cause it kinda well rounds you in mind and character. you'll always be first,a rifleman no matter about iq's
    or about what you know best. when they run out of grunts in those front lines and looking for someone to fill those trenches,
    well guess what,your going for a ride into hell,so be it.
    when doo doo hits the fan everyone will go,the good,the cripple and the crazy.god bless and keep your head and butt down at all times and that sir,is solid advice.

GOOD LUCK ON THE ADVENTURE MICHA24, WE NEED ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE TO GET THE JOB DONE. JUST LIKE THE COOKS, MOTOR-T , SUPPLY AND WINGERS, YES, I LIKED GETTING PAID WHEN WE WERE AROUND CAMP AT TIMES. LOL P.S. JOB ONE, IS MAKING THRU FOR THE E.G.A.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The best way to pick up on your pull-ups is to do incline pushups with hands wider than shoulder width and position your chest even your hands. Do about 100 a day and you will increase your pull-ups by about 10 in a matter of a month. Also try to practice what is called the Kip method. It's like doing a dolphin kick in the air. I started doing this and went from doing 12 pullups to 50 in boot. And I still maintain 35-40 pullups 10 yrs after being out. Good Luck! Poolee Puke. Get used to the ragging too. Stay motivated

SEMPER FI
    IYAOYAS

When i went through boot camp, they gave me a typing test.
    12 words a min. they said. That first word took 12 min.
    Guess where i ended up? I was a great grunt.

Thread Information