Boot Camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot Camp

Originally posted by MarineMom5
    We will support him in any way possible. He won't want to quit, he is athletic, proud and well....stubborn! He said he is going to be a Marine and I have no doubt that he will make it.

drillinstructor What do you mean by "pick up"?
    Hopefully you are correct. Just let me know if you want to see how he is doing..........

Yes, "pick-up" can be a bit frightening, confusing and full of chaos. However, there's also a strange sense of relief knowing that you are finally in your "tribe" and on your way to training day one. My platoon was the first to arrive for our series, so we were in processing for almost three days. There is a sense amongst most recruits (those who have a clue) to "get on with it."

Registered User Free Member vc5by5's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It is great to see parents supporting their son's decision. especially in this liberal day and age. I have to tell you though, the time for worrying is over. He is now in cruise control. The gentleman that have responded to you speak from expirience. You have, in fact, the privalidge of speaking to an icon of our Corps. The Drill Instructor! He is not mearly the unstoppable force that barks commands at your son until his throat is bleeding, but he is the mentor who has taught each of us how to BE a Marine! How to ACT like a Marine, and above all else how to carry on the Marine Corps tradition so that others who are man enough to step up to the challenge learn why there is, and will always be, a Marine Corps.

We do not do post cards anymore. you will get a letter from his Senior DI and info about our base such as parade deck rules etc. The letter will be written in the next few days and sent out. It will also have his address on it. I do have his address now if you want to get one of those care packages in the mail now. AHHH I love moms.................I am pretty sure your son likes chocolate chip cookies and snickers.........

Registered User Free Member ALLENR's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    MarineMom5

I know you were proud of your boy when you saw him leave, but know in your heart that the boy you sent will return as a MAN, a US MARINE . Be proud and support him. Write letters daily with good news NO BAD STUFF.

SF

Again, thanks for the response.

Originally posted by ALLENR
    I know you were proud of your boy when you saw him leave, but know in your heart that the boy you sent will return as a MAN, a US MARINE . Be proud and support him. Write letters daily with good news NO BAD STUFF.
    YES! FOCUS ON GOOD THINGS!!! Let him know how PROUD you are of him! He needs that encouragement. When people are in the "training" state-of-mind, it is VERY easy to forget that there are people who love you and there is life outside MCRD. It doesn't necessarily matter what you say (but keep it positive). It's the fact that YOU took time out of YOUR day to write.... let's him know you're thinking about him.

Also, if he has a girlfriend, make sure she doesn't write all lovey-dovey trash about how much she misses him. First of all, if it smells girly at all, he will be ragged on for awhile and second of all, the last thing he needs is to be reminded of how much he misses her.

I can verify that Mail Call is one of the highlights of the day...along with chow and taps (sleep!)

No worries about how he's doing, though. I'm sure he's good to go and if not, well, his DIs will make sure he is!

Positive letters from home can be very motivating. I still have one that my mom wrote to me, and that was 22 years ago!
    And make sure he writes back (when he has time).

That was the problem with my older brother who went in two years prior to me (he was three years active). He was at MCRD SD, despite the fact that we both processed at MEPS Cincinnati, in 1981. My mom wrote all the time, but he never wrote back. My twin brother and I went out there with our parents to see him graduate only to learn from his Series Gunny that Recruit Crotty had been recycled to another series because of some "discipline problems" while on the range.

I'll never forget the look of shock on my mom's face. When his Senior Drill Insructor found out that he never bothered to write home and inform his parents of his "situation" he was thoroughly thrashed up on the quarter deck.

Anyway, he evetually graduated (my twin and I flew back home for school; my parents stayed out there), came out a Corporal in supply after three years with an Honorable Discharge. But then he never wrote home the entire year he was at Camp Kinser in Okinawa. Showed-up at the front door with four tattoos! Once again, shock and tears from mom.

Sorry to go on and on. It's just that the subject of writing from boot camp brought back a flood of funny stories and memories.

Positive support is the key. Even if he doesn't write back.

I already have a few pages written and can't wait to get his address to send them off. I know he will write. It will not be prolific but it will come.

HEY CPLCROTTY

THATS WHAT MY BROTER DID, TO MY WHOLE FAMILY. HE WROTE A FEW LETTERS HOME FROM BOOT AND NOW HES AT KINSER ALSO. LOL. WE HAVENT HEARD FROM HIM SINCE HES BEEN THERE. AND HE CALLED MY MOM OUT OF NOWHERE LAST NITE AND SAID- HEY IM GOING TO IRAQ AND THAT HE HAD A SUIT MADE FOR 400 DOLLARS, WHICH IM SURE IS GOING TO BE WORN WHEN HE MARRIES HIS GF, THE GIRL THAT WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH USMC= SHE HASNT EVEN SEEN HIM IN UNIFORM!!!! SHE REFUSES!!!! SO, MY MOM HAD TO LEARN OF MY LEAVING FOR BOOT AND HIS LEAVING FOR IRAQ PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TIME. HOPEFULLY ILL BE ABLE TO SEE HIM BEFORE HE LEAVES. THIS WOULD BE THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW HER FAMILY WILL BE TORN APART. LAST YEAR MY BRO, BF AND DAD LEFT FOR BOOT-DAD 4 IRAQ- AT THE SAME TIME AND LEFT US TO BE ON OUR OWN. SO NOW, THIS YEAR, RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS HER OLDEST DAUGHTER AND SON WILL BE LEAVING. IM SURE MY PA WILL BE FINE, BUT NOT AS ALONE AS MY MOM AND SISTER AT HOME. ( MY DAD STILL HAS TIME TO GO IN THE ARMY) MARINEMOM5- WRITE EVERYTHING YOU CAN THATS POSITIVE!! MAIL MEANS ALOT- IVE BEEN THROUGH THE BOOTCAMP PROCESSES 3 TIMES NOW- MY BROTHER, CURRENT BF AND MY EX BF. TEGAN

I am getting off this site and writing another page right now!

MarineMom5, glad to hear you support your son and the Corps 100%. I also encourage you to have fun with the threat of care packages. You might want to ask how many guys are there with him and how many bosses. Without using the Marine lingo it won't sound as if you are being coached by us. Again have fun with it, it will give you something to talk about in the future when he will look back on it fondly. You might also want to encourage family members and friends to write letters. Mail is a recruit's best friend.
    Take care
    Semper Fi!

I was planning on running with the care package threat! I just can't wait to actually send him a letter. I can't wait to here back from him. The more that I read about the Corps, the more proud I am of what he is doing. As soon as I get his address I am passing it to friends and family so all can write. I have been told by many that mail call is an important part of a recruits sanity!

hear...oops

Brings back memories of years long ago. Mom dont worry he will make you proud.

Thread Information