Boot Camp - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Boot Camp

Thumbs up

My son just graduated MCRD SD 7/8 he loved it!!! He did not have one bad thing to say except that he froze his 6 off out there at night. He had nothing but praise for his DI's and said that he holds alot of respect for them as what they've taught him may save his life someday. We took the whole family out for graduation and all I can say is DO NOT miss that if at all possible. It is something that I will never forget. Iam so proud of our new Marine.

We certainly plan on going to Graduation in 74 days! I am glad to hear that your son's experience was a good one. The training is tough for a good vreason, IT MAY SAVE THEIR LIFE. I am so proud of my son right now, I can only imagine how proud I will be when I see him on that Parade Deck.
    Where did you stay in SD and would you recommend it? I had been told HO JO is good.

Registered User Free Member THATFEMALE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good ole "Hollywood" Marines! Semper FI.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Try the Days Inn or Comfort Inn - better mattresses for sleep than the HoJo - Also, bring your comfy walking shoes. Your new Marine will want you to see as much of the Depot as he can show you on Family Day or the day before. Loose comfortable clothing is a must.

Small tip - do not ask him if he'd like to go for dinner. He cannot leave the Depot until after graduation is complete and he only has 6 hours free time each day that parents and guests are on the Depot.

This is the one time it is fine to bring a "care package" to your new Marine ( I hauled a kosher salami to the Island for my kid - his request) and he can share it with no penalties. So, if grandma wants to send him her famous cookies, this is the time.

The young man you sent to the Corps was simple raw material - the finished basically trained product that you will see coming at you across the parade deck is not your baby boy. The Drill Instructors have begun the transformation from boy to Marine - and you will be amazingly proud of your new Marine.

Bring tissues - even Dad will need them at the first sight of the young man. My kid is a Sgt with 3 tours in- and I still get misty thinking about seeing him walk across Peatross on that day.

Enjoy the Depot and the Bayview is now open for your dining pleasure. Visitor Thursday is always fun and yes your kid becomes a man very quickly around here.......

I really look forward to seeing the Depot and meeting the DI's!

And here is a bit of good news :
    My nephew has been trying to sign up for the Marines but had to have another exam on an ankle injury (from a few years back). He got the final OK and starts boot on Dec 6 at Parris Island.

If all goes well this will make 2 Marines in our family!

Hey there Marinemom5 when you go to Beaufort make sure you hit the waterfront. it is beautiful down there....that is one place that I really miss about being down there. If you want to know how to get there from Parris Island you can let me know and I can give you direction if that is something you would like to go to see.

What ever you do, do not run up to the D.I. and ask him if he made a man out of your kid. This was the standard answer when I was on the field. "It's really hard to take out what was put into him in 17/18 years, but we gave it everything we had for 13 weeks".

We stayed at the Ho-Jo's on Rosecrans, the rooms were nice and the staff was very accomodating but the property is under renovation. If I had it to do over (and I do with son #2) I will stay in the Hotel Circle area, your alot closer to the malls, theatres, restaurants, etc.

You can go to entertainment.com and buy a coupon book/card that will save you alot of money on attractions, a rental car and the restaurants. We got one as a gift from my mom and it really helped out alot. Plus if your not from the area you can see what all is out there and plan your trip if your going to make a vacation out of it all.

A rental car is a must so you can see some of San Diego and be able to move around on base. You'll have from 1200-1700 on family day to hang out on base and eyeball your son. We ate, shopped, picked up his dress blues, bowled and played pool within that 5 hours of time. We couldn't of done all of that without a car. As soon as he got in the car he said "find me some tunes ".

The D.I.'s do a fantastic job with these boys and they have alot to be proud of. It must be like "being a new daddy" multiplied by 50 or by however many new marines they lead across that parade deck. Just being on that base in the presence of excellence makes you walk a little taller.

Originally posted by marinefamily5
    Hey there Marinemom5 when you go to Beaufort make sure you hit the waterfront. it is beautiful down there....that is one place that I really miss about being down there. If you want to know how to get there from Parris Island you can let me know and I can give you direction if that is something you would like to go to see.

My son is at San Diego now, my nephew is going to PI in Dec.
    I am sure we will go to his graduation too so I will be sure to keep that on my "to do" list. Thanks.

O sorry about that........must of missed the one where it said he was in hollywood........don't i feel like a azz now

Hey, you gave me a good sightseeing tip when I go to PI so no harm done!

My nephew lives in Ohio and we're in Indiana so....one to SD and one to PI.

71 days to my son's Graduation!

where in ohio does he live at.

Toledo Area, they used to live in Toledo and the rest of the family still does so I tend to group them to Toledo. They actually live just north of the border in Temperence, Michigan

Thread Information