Death Of General Louis H. Wilson, Jr. 26TH COMMANDANT - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MoH Recipient: Wilson, Louis, Capt. (later Gen.) USMC
    Organization: U.S. Marine Corps, Commanding Rifle Company, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division.
    Place and date: Fonte Hill, Guam, 25-26 July 1944.
    Entered service at: Mississippi. Born: 11 February 1920, Brandon, Miss.

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of a rifle company attached to the 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces at Fonte Hill, Guam, 25-26 July 1944.

Ordered to take that portion of the hill within his zone of action, Capt. Wilson initiated his attack in mid-afternoon, pushed up the rugged, open terrain against terrific machine gun and rifle fire for 300 yards and successfully captured the objective. Promptly assuming command of other disorganized units and motorized equipment in addition to his own company and one reinforcing platoon, he organized his night defenses in the face of continuous hostile fire and, although wounded three times during this five-hour period, completed his disposition of men and guns before retiring to the company command post for medical attention.

Shortly thereafter, when the enemy launched the first of a series of savage counterattacks lasting all night, he voluntarily rejoined his besieged units and repeatedly exposed himself to the merciless hail of shrapnel and bullets, dashing 50 yards into the open on one occasion to rescue a wounded Marine lying helpless beyond the frontlines.

Fighting fiercely in hand-to-hand encounters, he led his men in furiously waged battle for approximately 10 hours, tenaciously holding his line and repelling the fanatically renewed counterthrusts until he succeeded in crushing the last efforts of the hard-pressed Japanese early the following morning.

Then organizing a 17-man patrol, he immediately advanced upon a strategic slope essential to the security of his position and, boldly defying intense mortar, machine gun, and rifle fire which struck down 13 of his men, drove relentlessly forward with the remnants of his patrol to seize the vital ground.

By his indomitable leadership, daring combat tactics, and valor in the face of overwhelming odds, Capt. Wilson succeeded in capturing and holding the strategic high ground in his regimental sector, thereby contributing essentially to the success of his regimental mission and to the annihilation of 350 Japanese troops. His inspiring conduct throughout the critical periods of this decisive action sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

Editor's Note: Wilson remained on active duty following World War II and later served as Commandant of the Marine Corps during 1975-79.

Initially enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve in May 1941 following graduation from Millsaps College, Miss., Wilson received his commission as a 2nd lieutenant six months later and was assigned to the 9th Marine Regiment at Marine Corps Base San Diego. He deployed with the regiment to the Pacific in May 1943, participating in the retaking of Guam 11 months later.

Recovering from his injuries, Wilson returned to duty at Camp Pendleton, and in December 1944, transferred to Washington, D.C., where he served as a Detachment Commander at the Marine Barracks. While in that assignment he was presented the Medal of Honor by President Truman. He was promoted to major in March 1945.

From June 1946 until August 1951, General Wilson served tours as dean and assistant director of the Marine Corps Institute; as aide-de-camp to the commanding general, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific; and as officer in charge of the Marines' district headquarters recruiting station in New York City.

Promoted to lieutenant colonel in November 1951 while stationed at Quantico, Va., Wilson then served consecutively as commanding officer of The Basic School's 1st Training Battalion and later as executive officer of The Basic School.

After a brief tour as a senior school I at Quantico, Wilson transferred to Korea where he served as Assistant G-3, 1st Marine Division. In August 1955, he returned to the United States with the 1st Division, and was named commanding officer of 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division.

In March 1956, Wilson was assigned to Headquarters Marine Corps, serving two years as head of the operations section, G-3 Division. He returned to Quantico, first as commanding officer of the test and training regiment, and later as commanding officer of The Basic School.

In June 1962, after graduation from the National War College, Wilson joined Marine Corps headquarters where he served as joint plans coordinator to the Deputy Chief of Staff (Plans and Programs). He next transferred to the 1st Marine Division and deployed to Vietnam with the division in August 1965.

Upon return to the United States in August 1966, Wilson assumed command of the 6th Marine Corps District, Atlanta, Ga. Promoted to brigadier general in November 1966, he was assigned to Marine Corps headquarters in January 1967, as lLegislative assistant to the Commandant until July 1968. He then served as Chief of Staff, Headquarters, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, until March 1970.

Promoted to major general in March 1970, Wilson assumed command of I Marine Amphibious Force/3rd Marine Division on Okinawa.

In April 1971, he returned to Quantico for duty as deputy for education/director, Education Center, Marine Corps Development and Education Command. He was promoted to lieutenant general in August 1972 and on Sept. 1, 1972 assumed command of the Fleet Marine Force, Pacific.

He was promoted to general on July 1, 1975 and assumed the duties as Commandant.

Wilson died on June 21 at his home in Birmingham, Ala. He is survived by his wife, Jane Clark Wilson; a daughter, Janet Wilson Taylor; son-in-law Jarred O. Taylor II; and grandsons Jarred O. Taylor III and Louis Wilson Taylor, all of Birmingham.

The Wilson family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations in the general's memory be made to the Marine Corps University Foundation of which he was a long-term trustee (P.O. Box 122 Quantico, VA 22134-0122), or other Marine Corps related organizations.

Ellie

I remember General Wilson

I had about a month left on my tour of active duty, and was serving it out with 7th Comm, on Okinawa, after my year in Vietnam. Being a salty short timer didn't stop me from having to stand a CG inspection. The CG of 3rd Mar Div then was General Wilson.

I was in the front row, and, of the twenty or so Marines in that row, he stopped and chatted with me.

He was very tall and skinny, and my eyes were at about the level of his ribbons. So, there I am answering his questions about my job responsibilites, my tour in Vietnam, where I was from, and what not, while all the time staring straight ahead at that Medal Of Honor ribbon sitting right on top of six or seven rows.

It wasn't the first time I'd spoken with a Medal Of Honor recipient (Gunny Howard, MOH in '66, was my first Company Gunny), but General Wilson was the only general officer I ever spoke to, or spoke to me.

God bless, and Semper Fi, General Wilson!

Thread Information