Non-infantry MOS's doing infantry duties?
Create Post

Non-infantry MOS's doing infantry duties?

Is it true that most combat related MOS's (excluding infantry) aren't really doing their respective MOS? I was just doing some research on artillery and was told that there just isn't much of a use for Arty anymore in Iraq right now since the inital assault is long over, so many artillery units were turned into provisional rifle companies doing things such as patrolling the streets of Baghdad. Same with some of the other non-03 MOS's too, i've heard that many tankers over in Iraq are patrolling the streets in Humvees and whatnot rather than what they're actually trained for.

Is this true? If so, what is the likelyhood that a 0861 (forward observer) or 1812 (M1A1 crewman) would be doing real grunt duties such as patrolling the streets of Baghdad or fighting house to house in Fallujah rather than actually performing their actual job as a forward observer or tanker?

If this is infact true, I guess it would make sense to simply go in as a an 03 so you would have the extra training from SOI.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Registered User Free Member albert torcini's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    EVERY MARINE IS A RIFLEMEN REGARDLESS OF YOUR MOS.

Words of life first a GRUNT and then a desk jocky or a trk driver.think back

First of all your research is a little off.
    I was at Camp Fallujah and we had Arty out there and they were really busy. Alot of counter-fire missions. On a humorous note, RAP (rocket assisted projectiles) and hot coffee don't mix.
    As far as non-infantrysMOS's doing infantry duties, alot of Marines volunteer for those. It's something to break up the monotony of sitting behind a desk and a chance to see something other than the inside of a walled compound. It's also a chance to possible throw some rounds downrange.
    Before the Marines do these sort of things they have to go through classes (refreshers, immediate actions drills, ROE)

I was a 3521(mechanic) and I was "volounteered" to do security in Haiti. They didn't care that I spent most of my time under trucks...they needed Marines ..and it was GREAT..we spent 3 months learning anti terrorism techniques, combat marksmanship from SOTG, advanced MOUT training, how to detain agressors, and we fired about a billion rounds at the range. Then we went to Haiti and performed security for the engineers and SeaBees. We would guard the Militarty Facilities, guard visiting dignitaries, patrol the streets, and we were also the QRF for the carribean/SouthAmerican region....then 6 months later back to reality...under a truck wiping oil from my face. So no matter what your MOS you can wind up doing anything, even patroling streets in Bahgdad.

First and always a Rifleman! The first Marines in the Korean fight were cooks, desk clerks, Even the band, on down. They held the line when Korea needed it most until the regulars arrived.

Since its creation in 1775 the Corps' role has expanded significantly. The Marines have a unique mission statement, and, alone among the branches of the U.S. armed forces, "shall, at any time, be liable to do duty in the forts and garrisons of the United States, on the seacoast, or any other duty on shore, as the President, at his discretion, shall direct." In this special capacity, charged with carrying out duties given to them directly by the President of the United States, the Marine Corps serves as an all-purpose, fast-response task force, capable of quick action in areas requiring emergency intervention.

Every Marine is already an 03, there is nothing new in this Tactic. We all carry a rifle first and foremost.

Thread Information