Hair
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair

Credits
    Savings

Hair

I really like my hair long, and don't want to cut it when I ship on June 6th. But I'm not very good at putting my hair in a bun either. Can anyone tell me how long we have to do our hair, and how many hair ties we get? I need to decide whether or not to cut it.

P.S. I'm going for honor guide, my question is to be the honor grad. is it based on the best recuit of the platoon or company?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From the Horse's Mouth- These are the basic grooming regs:

c. The requirement for hair regulations is to maintain uniformity within a military population. Women's hairstyles require non-eccentric styles. Female Marines will be well groomed at all times and when in uniform will abide by the following:

(1) Hair may touch the collar, but will not fall below the collar's lower edge. Hair that would fall naturally below the collar's lower edge will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned. During physical training periods in which physical training clothing is worn, hair will be allowed to fall naturally, without being fastened or pinned. This does not apply when conducting physical training in the utility uniform.

(2) Hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of the uniform headgear. All headgear will fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without distortion or excessive gaps. Hairstyles which do not allow the headgear to be worn in this manner are prohibited.

(3) Faddish and exaggerated styles to include shaved portions of the scalp other than the neckline, designs cut in the hair, unsecured ponytails and styles which are distinctly unbalanced or lopsided are prohibited. Multiple braiding is authorized. If hair extensions are used in the braiding of the hair, the extensions must have the same general appearance as the individual's natural hair. Braided hairstyles will be conservative, and conform to other guidelines listed herein.

(4) Barrettes, combs, rubber bands, etc. are authorized, if concealed by the hair. Inconspicuous hair pins and bobby pins, if required, are authorized. Hair nets will not be worn unless authorized for a specific type of duty. Wigs, if worn in uniform, must look natural and conform to the above regulations.

(5) Cosmetics, if worn, will be applied conservatively and will complement the individual's complexion tone. Exaggerated or faddish cosmetic styles are inappropriate with the uniform and will not be worn. If worn, nail polish and non-eccentric lipstick will harmonize with the scarlet shade used in various service and dress uniform items (i.e. scarlet cord on green service cap, scarlet trim on blue dress uniform, and scarlet background on enlisted insignia of grade), in shades of red, and may be worn with the service, blue dress, blue-white dress and evening dress uniforms. Colored nail polish will not be worn with the utility uniform. Fingernails with multiple colors and decorative ornamentation are prohibited. Nail length will be no longer than 1/4 inch from the tip of the finger. (MARADMIN 199/01)

(6) No female Marine will be required to remove leg hair except where considered unsightly and cannot be covered with appropriate hosiery as described in subparagraph 3027.5. (ALMAR 352/96)

Now, of course, the whole cosmetics and whatnot, that doesn't apply to you while you're aboard the Depot, but it's useful to know. Hairties, I don't know... for all the times I've wished to be a fly on the wall in the 4th BN barracks, I never did get my wish

Each platoon will have an Honor Grad who serves as the guide at graduation. Additionally, there is a Company Honor Grad, selected by process of a company meritorious board.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    In my platoon, recruits with long hair had ten days to have their hair squared away. Squared away as in no fly-aways and your sock bun is tight and neat. On the tenth or eleventh day, recruits with jacked up hair got sent to the "beauty" parlor. Everyone came back with the same haircut-a little longer than chin-length.

Your Drill Instructors will give a class on how to do a sock bun, but if you want to keep your long hair, I strongly recommend you start practicing now and get good at them before you leave for the Island.

Also-it makes you look a lot better than other recruits if you show up with your hair squared away. Get someone to sock bun your hair at the hotel at MEPS if you can. The first guide in our platoon was picked because her hair was not jacked up (that and she knew how to ask to make a head call, something that is also helpful to learn).

Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    How many hair ties do we get to do our hair (I need at least 2)? How long each day do we have to do our hair (don't say 3 sec.)?

I know how to ask permission to make a head call, thank goodness:
    This recruit requests permission to make a head call ma'am!

I want to be honor grad., but with 600 others competing, I have less than 0.2% chance. I'll try my best, I'll have to stand out, not stand back.

Thanks everybody!

Registered User Free Member iowasurfer2's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Look, if you need to know something, your DI will tell you. If you don't do it right, your DI will tell you!! Then she will show you. Etc., etc. You will be fine. You can use as many ties as you need, as long as they don't show. The whole idea with the hair is to do it on your "free" time at night, so you have time to get it right, then you can just touch it up in the morning when you get up. But don't try to overanalze boot camp. If you think you have a .2% chance of being honor grad then that's what you've got. But then again, Smedley Butler had a .2% chance of holding down the fort during the Boxer Rebellion, and he did it. But the secret was that he never did the math!! 800 chinese vs. 25 Marines??? (you'll learn that story in Boot Camp) But what I'm saying is just get out there and do it. If you overanalyze and worry about whether you are doing it just right and all that, you're gonna screw it up! Just go out there and be what you think a leader should be. If you are the fastest person in your platoon at making your rack, good for you. But instead of showing your D.I.'s how proud you are of your accomplishment (they won't be impressed, believe me) go and help your bunk mate make theirs, or someone else who is having trouble. That shows true leadership. Concern for others and willingness to contribute to the team. If you see someone falling back on a run, try to encourage them to keep up, thing like that. Be hard, physically and mentally, but be loyal to your platoon and your fellow recruits, and you should have no problem being Honor Graduate. Good Luck and Semper Fi ! !

Credits
    Savings
    Lorix- you need to request permission to speak first...

"Good afternoon, sir/ma'am/ladies/gentlemen, please excuse Recruit Jones, ma'am (if you know their name, say it here instead of ma'am)."

Then you wait for them to say "what?" or "go away." Theeeennn you say the request part.

Anything you say will start out with the first part.

Ok about the hair...when I went through I had my hair cut short so I wouldn't have to mess with it but started growing it out during deployment to Korea...didn't want the nationals jacking my hair up...anyway here's my point....if you want the hair to stay long then are you completely set on doing the bun thing? Personally, I never liked them because they stick out too far especially on the range and the gas chamber plus what about when you wear the kevlar. My suggestion...teach yourself to do a french braid. Secure it with a black/brown rubber band and tuck it under with 2 long, roller type bobby pins. I was in for 12 had long hair for 10 and it took only two minutes to complete. It looks neater, more professional and doesn't look like some growth sticking out of the back of your head. Hope this helps. Good luck at boot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That "please excuse recruit whoever" part always gets me. I heard that stuff for the first time outside of the WTBN chow hall and d*mn near bit through my tongue to keep from laughing... We definitely didn't do that on the male side of the Island.

I aint never heard that before, for us, its

"Good Morning/afternoon/evening Sir, Recruit dumb@ss requests permission to speak sir", DI-what b!tch? or f^ck you or something like that, lol. Then you request permission to make a head call.

Don't forget the greeting, and make sure it's the right one, that's where recruits screw up the most, saying the wrong greeting. It's morning till u eat afternoon chow, then its afternoon till you eat evening chow, after that its good evening.

well those are some very good tips for me because i'm going to be enlisting into DEP sometime this september.

Credits
    Savings
    USMCGrunt0331--I asked my husband and that's what they had to say, too. Maybe it's just 4th that says it differently.

I also found that they don't like it much when you call a sir a ma'am, or vice versa. haha One day in the chow hall I was bending over to pick up trays and a Drill Instructor yelled "MOVE!" in my ear so loud that my ear popped (I was sick, so it was a favor!). I jumped up and yelled, "Aye, ma'am!" Then saw that it was a male. oops. Our Drill Instructor walked over and said, "Ok, who is the idiot?" ::gulp:: "This recruit, ma'am."

sorry, a correction-At the end you don't say sir if you know the drill instructor's name, So it's ".....requests permission to speak to Drill Instructor Sgt. Smith Sir" That's how you end the request to speak.

exactally what'll happen if you don't say something right?

That's just something you will have to find out when you get there. Depends on the offense. If you don't know what to say and its not necessary, don't say anything.

thanks i'll remember that in the future and hopefully i wont have to say too much.

Thread Information