Marriage In The Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Marriage In The Corps

TRUST ME.... I've heard it a thousand times, literally.

"Break up with your girlfriend before you leave for basic"

But for the sake of my year long relationship and true love of my life. I need everything about getting married while in the corps.

I leave for basic Sept.6 and i should graduate on Dec.2. This will leave me with about a month long leave before SOI (Holidays). So I plan on getting engaged during this time. I need to know if I will get a leave after SOI, and sense i will be going infantry I understand that I will probably be deployed right out of SOI.

I am trying to put together some sort of time table on when i would have oppurtunities to have the wedding ceremony. If anyone has any information regarding marine marriage or has gone through this before your help would be much apreciated.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD IDEA! Look, unless you are being sent overseas out of SOI, you won't get leave. ( at least, you didn't used to) not sure WHERE you get that you get more leave because of holiday's, but ok. As far as I know, you get 10 day's boot leave, and then you report to your school. ( once again, used to be that way)

now, as far as getting MARRIED while in the infantry? BAD IDEA! give it about a YEAR after you have served with an ACTUAL line unit. if she has stuck around and put up with all the BS that comes with being gone for training and being in the field and Deployments, it's still a bad idea, but go ahead and get married.

I personally never saw a first time enlistment marriage in the infantry last. not once. all the women ended up sleeping with someone else while their Marine was deployed, or the Marine ended up sleeping with someone else while they were deployed, or the woman just up and got tired of never seeing thier husband and left.

in addition to THAT, I PERSONALLY think it is a bad idea to get married before at least 25 years of age, but that's just me. at younger ages, people just haven't had enough time to actually learn enough about life yet.

but, like I said, that's just me.

Andy,
    Where's your bio information?
    As for marriage, the standard up to about E-6 is, "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one."
    Take it to the bank. Young love is wonderful but not for enlisted Marines. Too little money, too much expenses and that's a recipe for disaster.

YES I AGREE WITH THE OTHER 2 JARHEADS......IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ALITTLE STORY PM ME AND I WILL TELL YOU ALITTLE BIT ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH BEING MARRIED MY ELISTMENT.......

wow, this is really encouraging, at least now i know not to be hopeful. Thanks for the help guys.

Semper Fi

well.....Semper Fi, unless your married then i guess its only sometimes Fi.

it's not MEANT to be encouraging. it's meant to be the TRUTH.

I am sorry if I sound a little gruff, but your reply came off a little smart a$$.

If it was not intended that way, then I apologise.

Look, if you were gonna be an office clerk, or mail room orderly who got to go home everyday at 5-6 pm, then I'd say fine, get hitched. ( though still a bad idea at a young age)

but here is your scheduale in PEACETIME as an infantry Marine.

5-5:30am, report for muster, PT various training and weapons cleaning, ect ect. go home about 6-7 pm unless it's field day, then you get to go home about 11pm or midnight ( if not in the field)

If in the field? 2-15 day's out in the field, no contact with wife. then home for a couple day's, then hang out in the barracks for a few day's then repeat.

then, go to a 4-10 week CAX in 29palms. ( VERY limited contact with wife on the phone ONLY)

2 week work up for float ( no contact with wife)
    minimum 6 month float or deployment ( minimal contact with wife, on phone and through letters)

come home from float, and do it all again.

OR if you are stationed overseas, like in Oki, you do NOT get to take your wife along. 1 YEAR without her.

does that sound like a good idea?

Lightbulb

Dude if she is still around when you get back then go for it, if you do it now you might come back to nothing, alot of ppl get marrind and go on deployments and there spouse go on one with whomever they come in contact with (they will play while you are away), I have had too many of my soldiers come back and there GF or wifes sell everything and move on. think twice and just live each day till you come home.. the old saying!
    "If you come back and she is still there then it was ment to be.."

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    We proudly serve our Nation. And we gladly give up many of our rights for the priveledge to serve in our Corps.

There is no room in Our Corps for it to bend over backwards for an individual's marriage. I saw a Sgt see the birth of his son, then two days later he was off to Okinawa for a year long unaccompanied tour.

The initial three month's of separation from your woman will be a good first test run. See how it goes.

Then wait some more. Go to advanced training. See how the relationship goes.

If you are immediately deployed see how that 7 months goes.

A year long marriage-engagement is not much to ask for both lifetime committments. To your beloved and your soon (if you graduate) Beloved Corps.

Besides, you can save up some money during that year. You will need it if you do end up getting married!

I understand the sacrifice, I guess I will have to wait it out and just see what happens.

Thanks for all the help guys

AN ONE OTHER THING ABOUT THE OVER SEAS TOUR, THEY ARE IN THE MAKING OF CHANGING IT TO A 2 YR TOUR WITHOUT FAMILY OR A 3 YR TOUR WITH THE FAMILY...AND FIELD DAYS MARRIED MARINE DON'T HAVE TO BE THERE AT FIELDS........

DA*N I LEFT OUT THE LAST PART.....BEEN ONE OF THOSE DAYS ALREADY..........BUT MARRIED MARINE DON'T HAVE TO BE AT FIELD DAYS ON THURSDAY NIGHT.......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had a girl before I went the Island. Things were great, she was certainly the kind of person, I thought, that I could have a nice, stable relationship with. Three months later, I came back, she'd changed, I'd changed, we broke up a month after my return. Now she's getting ready to get married to ANOTHER Marine... which is kind of disturbing since she's only 18! Live and learn, poolee. Take it from the ones on this site who've been there and seen what happens. Once you get started on a career in the Marine Corps, it won't leave time for a family for quite a while.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Indy_Owns,

I don't know your back ground or where you are from. I just know that we speak from eperiences while serving in the worlds finest fighting force. Trust us when we say thing that they are from the heart. I can't remember how many times I saw things go back for couples. Hardjedi said just about what I wanted to say but he beat me to it. I would wait, I know that you are getting a little bit of pressure or maybe a lot of pressure. In my opinion waiting for your training, etc,..would probably help you out even more by getting you adjusted first to the Corps, then bring on your new bride. It will be great at times and depending on where you go, maybe a culture shock to your new bride. Please do not forget one thing. The Marines Corps is based on needs of the The Marine Corps. It doesn't matter about your persanl problems. You are a Marine 24/7.

As far as I know boot leave is only 10 days. I think somebody else said that in here to.

Well, good luck in whatever you deceide on.

YES LEAVE BOOT LEAVE IS 10 DAYS, THEN IF YOU GET LUCKY AND GET RECT. ASSIT. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET ANOTHER WEEK OR SO DEPENDING ON WHEN YOUR MOS SCHOOL STARTS. I SEEN A MARINE GET A MONTH OF IT BECAUSE WHEN HIS MOS SCHOOL STARTS.

Thread Information