so there's only 2 pft's?

Registered User Free Member rockhopper's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations!

Registered User Free Member magicalx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry I took so long in responding to the posts. I had to leave for MCT/SOI. I finally graduated MCT today and I am actually at St. Louis International Airport waiting to go to my MOS school. There is a wonderful USO Lounge here that caters to all military personal and provides sleeping quarters, Internet access, free chow, and a good 'ol big screen to watch movies.

Well...where should I begin...
    Swim Qual:
    I didn't know how to swim when I went to boot camp but when I got to the swim qual. they seperate the people who don't know how to swim and they spend alot of time with them. The swim instructors are extremely qualified (most of them are Recon) and safety is a number one priority. However, not only are they swim instructors but they have to go through DI school as well...so don't disrespect them because your learning experience can either be awesome or it can be miserable. If you act like a child or start to panic they really get on your case. I had a traumatic experience as a child in the ocean so I would panic. Needless to say they "motivate" you just as much as your drill instructors so if you leave there not swimming...that means you're not putting out max effort on your part. I must emphasize though that safety is their number one concern and the chances of you drowning are almost impossible.

Regrets:
    Looking back in time I have very few regrets. One regret I have is wishing that I had prepared more physically. I was a little overweight and I didn't run as much as I could back home. The first few weeks of training where hard on me because I was physically weak. However, I had a set of Drill Instructors that motivated me and were relentless in their motivation. I lost 35 lbs and left Parris Island with a 1st class PFT score. Thank the Lord it worked out in the end.

As far as my promotion...I have 4yrs years of college going into boot camp but I didn't want to get the easy promotion. I went in a PVT. and got a meritorious promotion out of boot camp. I wasn't guide or squad leader but my Senior Drill Instructor believed I was the most improved in the platoon and requested that I got promoted.

MCT...
    For all of you guys not in Infantry...you have to go to MCT. Here's a some advice about MCT. The environment is more relaxed but don't let that be a reason to act nasty. During MCT, you start to see all the young DevilDogs that are squared away and all the ones that are going to be dirtbag Marines. Yes, there are dirtbag Marines...but there's always rotten apples at the bottom of the barrel. Don't let that demotivate you. The training you recieve in MCT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TRAINING YOU WILL EVER RECIEVE IN THE MARINE CORPS. The infantry skills they teach WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE WHEN YOU GO TO IRAQ. BECAUSE YOU WILL BE GOING TO IRAQ SOONER OR LATER. You recieve classes on squad tactics, hand/arm signals, squad attack drills, land navigation, basic machinegun training (m240g, m249 SAW, Mark 19, .50 cal), grenades, and various other skills. You also get to spend alot of time humping a pack and travelling for long periods of time on your feet. MCT is a fun experience but don't ever confuse fun for useless. If your MOS is Admin, Aviation, or anything non combat related don't think you'll never use infantry skills. Guess what, right now in Iraq there are artillery Marines, legal admin, cooks, postal clerks, mechanics, and even females providing perimeter security and patrolling the streets of Iraq. Everyone is getting a chance to GET SUM in Iraq right now, so don't join my beloved United States Marine Corps if you don't want some sand in your boots for a few months.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Outstanding, magicalx! Semper Fidelis

Wow Magicalx thats an amazing way to put it ... I respect your decisions and wish you Good Luck in the Corp and hopefully I'll be joining you soon enough and be allowed to serve along side you and fellow brothers of the Corp!

OooRah!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    magicalx,

Welcome aboard Marine. I know that you do not take the title lightly. You have now earned the respect that most people take a life time to achive. Good answers on your recruit training questions. You must be able to swim as you pointed out. Anyway, I am sure that you are getting settled in at MCT.

Semper Fidelis

Welcome to the brotherhood Marine magicalx! Semper Fi

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations on your accomplishment(s), magicalx. By the way, you write very well. Take care and do what you were destined to do.
    Adios.

Welcome to the brotherhood Marine..

Registered User Free Member boss302's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations.

Credits
    Savings
    HEY HARDCHARGER I COULD'NT AGREE WITH YOU MORE IT ALL STARTS WITH 03'S MARINE.

Credits
    Savings
    SEMPER FIELD DAYLIS!

Thumbs up

Magicalx,

Welcome to the brotherhood, Marine. Keep that great positive attitude!!!

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

Thread Information