Are US Marines the 21st century Samurai?
Create Post

Are US Marines the 21st century Samurai?

I'm curious about this- maybe it would be worth writing a research paper.

Both the Marines and the Samurai are warrior poets. They defend to the death what they believe in: honor, courage and commitment. They are extremely idealistic, noble and rooted deeply in tradition. Heck, the Marines even carry a sword with the dress blues.

It seems as if the two cultures have many similarities, as they are both built around making war and preserving their ideals. Not to mention that they are both known historically as elite fighting forces.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It seems to me that the Marines are modern day Samurai. They are the best, as the Samurai were.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In some ways, your characterization is quite correct. Perhaps somewhat romanticized, but still not off base. One of the big places you'll notice this is in the way the MCMAP program is implemented. The tagline that's attached to it is "One Mind - Any Weapon." It's a way of thinking, and really the only truly "martial" art still left in the world, as it is dedicated solely to the study of war. The warrior culture, the code, the brotherhood... all of these things are quite similar to the samurai. Not a bad thought.

Registered User Free Member Sgt Ski 2/7's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The Marines follow some of the same teaching of the great warrior Sun Tzu. The writing date back over 2000 years by a Chinese warrior philposopher. I think it is a must read for any Marinewether in the Corps or just joining. Some of his great words are still applied today.
    Some examples of his writings include:

A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear ineffective.

one of my favorites is : Do not attack an army on its way home.

This is a man who wrote about tatics followed today.

I've read most of the Art of War by Sun Tzu. Also on my reading list is the "History of the Polypennesian Wars"

The Persian wars have some amazing examples of tactical efficiency- the battle of Thermopylae comes to mind, when Greeks used a choke point in the rocky beach to built their forces against an army of one million Persions who so underestimated them that they originally hoped to take all of them alive. They lasted for 2 straight days of combat until a traitor led the Persians to their flank- they fought until there were only 300 men, forming a defensive perimeter surrounding their king and were offered surrender. These remaining men fought so hard that the army eventually had to pull back and use archers and spears to finish them off. The loss of the king as well as the stories of these heros enraged the Greeks. The bitter victory came at such a cost that the morale of the Persian army was gone. They were defeated later on.

I'm not all that much of a history buff, but the Persian wars as well as some of the history of the Samurai is simply inspiring.

Credits
    Savings
    The Persian Wars utilized many tatics described in the Art Of War.The Greeks had many scholars who lectured about love and freedom but few about War. The ones who followed War followed the writings on Tzu. I think every Marine should read Tzu, it is a valuable lesson on how to lead and govern your troops.

Marines are less "samurai" then they are a "warrior class." Comparing Marines to samurai may be romantic and fun and all, but I think that it comes off as somewhat childish. Try www.realultimatepower.com, I think that's how people like Pritchard come off sounding, although not on purpose like the guy who runs that website (which is hilarious, I might add).

Samurai were the tools that the shoguns and daimiyo used to subjugate their people, and fight their petty wars between clans. They followed Bushido, which among other things, advocates the complete and blind allegiance to your leader and your emporer. The Japanese in WWII followed Bushido, and their brutality and sadism knew no bounds. Too many people admire Japanese culture blindly without seeing the dark side of it all.

Marines are very dedicated to the Commandant, to be sure, but he is no Emporer that we worship. What we follow is higher than a person. Honor, Courage, and Commitment are our watchwords. We are a warrior class that American society keeps around because they want to preserve something hard that is being lost. They want to be able to call on us when things hit the fan. If the Marine Corps becomes like the samurai class of feudal Japan, America will no longer be America.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    (Based on what I had read)
    I am an employed Samurai walking down the road. I begin to think of a martial application using my sword. I see a group of peasants walking towards me. Hmmmm..I think that I will practice my technique as I pass bye. The peasant didn't have a chance but now I know that my stroke was steady and true.
    Yes, Iprkn, there certainly was a darkside but it, I understand, evolved into a rennaisance(?) period whereby the samurai, by using their strict code and self discipline contributed to the evolution of Japanese Culture in a positive way...for the most part.
    I agree that "Warrior Class" best describes, what I have read, heard and understood about the United States Marine Corps.
    Good post. Interesting. Thanks.

Hmnnnnn. toughie. In my mind however, the only similarities between a Marine and the Samurai of the past is the Warrior part. I really don't want to get into it in depth, becuase someone is SURE to take what I say wrong.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I think they are part of the evolutionary steps of warrior class. Yes we can learn many things from the Samurai, and Sun Tzu.

We as United States Marines have evolved lights years beyond what the Ancients had produced to defend their particular interests.

Its not just the technology, but the trained mindset to effectively use what ever we have on hand to get the job done. From an e-tool to an AV-8B.

A mere 13 weeks to learn how to selflessly work together to accomplish any task set before us.

In 1983, I remember when an Army Captain and Major came to visit our squad bay in Parris Island and observed us train and perform. You better believe that we were freakin' flawless that afternoon! Even as maggots we know that Honor was a stake.

As far as doing our job, it doesn't matter who is setting the national policy. We know in our heart, that everyone from the Expeditionary Force CG to the fng PVT just coming in from the School of Infantry, we'll get the job done together.

Semper Fidelis! Whole volumns can be written just on those two vital words. My first thought is that it speaks to the positive side of our elite warrior class.

Credits
    Savings
    The Warrior part I agree with as with the Samurai also. The reason, As in both cultures everyone is trained to fight. Just as Marines are all trained as basic riflemen. Not any other branch of service will the Commandant look forward to get into the fight other than the Marines. If you have ever been around any Senior Marine Officers than you will know that they are just as eager to get into the fight as the Pvt on the front lines.

Registered User Free Member A.P's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    well, sorry to burst your bubble.. were not samurai,

Thread Information