A Wonderfull Change In America - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    And its not just in America.

At our Native American Pow-Wows this summer, we Veterans received the same praise and recognition. Despite the current Canadian politics, our family of Natives recognize who the warriors are.

The Master of Ceremonies would call out our names and service organization. When he would announce, "And Representing the United States Marine Corps, Michael Kannon!", you could feel the electricty! Freakin' awsome and humbling at the same time.

When we would circle the gathering four times with our flags and Eagle Staff, I always thought of our Marines in Iraq. I could feel myself trying to send that good will and praise over to them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

The Circle Is Complete

Awesome Yellowwing Simply Awesome Brother.

Sempers My Brother
    Jim

I can vouch for the respect that verans get at Native American events. Although I'm not a Nez Pierce, I grew up on the Nez Pierce Indian Reservation. At every powwow or school event or whatever, the old warriors are wearing their military ballcaps, jackets or whatever. It's surprising to see how many of them are Marines. At all the powwows (and at football games), they have a flag ceremony to start it off. Some of the elders will be carrying flags, and more often then not, the Marine Corps flag is there too.

There is a lot of respect in Native America for veterans, usually more than you'd find outside the reservation.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The Native American tribes have always historically revered the warriors when returning from battle. In today's society they hold a special place in the tribe and as yellowwing stated honored with ceremonies at the seasonal or yearly pow wow.

Veterans do not hold that special place in the U.S. of A.. By "most" of the people,yes. By the government,no.We are used then put out to pasture to await the glue factory. In America a retiree or veteran is promised certain things, then the promises are reneged or the spending cuts freeze most benefits,or cut them out completely. I don't believe in handouts,however I do believe in the leadership trait of integrity.I don't believe in using the system for everything just because it is there.When a verbal or written contract was made there should be no discussion,no debate,no argument ,no committees formed,it should be done and the contract honored. In this civilian world if I did not honor a verbal or written contract for services rendered I would find myself in the legal system maize and the verdict would not be in my favor.

In the bittersweet sea of life and death, the government hopes that the veteran falls off the boat and cannot remain afloat.The active duty personnel are kept afloat only by the bare necessities that the budget allows.Patriotism for the most part has advanced in this country in the past decade and a half by a great majority of the people.But notice since the months following 911 how many flags of our country are now flown? And how many that are being flown are tattered and torn? I have been traveling in the past seven,eight months and have run into allot of people in rest areas that have seen the USMC sticker on my vehicle or have looked at my cover or jacket and have given the "Thank you!" for serving this country. I have also done the same in my travels and daily life,when I see a memento of any branch of service,on a vehicle or person.

The active duty men and women deserve our respect and I believe that they are doing a fantastic job in this country and this world. I for one also believe in defending their honor,from the protesters and the ignorant! Yes, the U.S. government honors it's active duty men and women for the great job they are doing with parades and pay increases. And they hold that special place when the grandiose speeches are made in front of a crowd or press conference. But,when the speeches for the living are over and the last echo of the lone bugler for the dead becomes silent,another battle pursues.One that all ready has been fought.

I think the original post was great and yes,something to brag about and I by no means I am not trying to detract from SSGT Nelsons post.

The United States government could learn a lesson from this tribal custom of honoring it's veterans and warriors. In the United States,how long after WW II did it take for this country to honor the code talkers of the great Indian nations?How long for memorials to be erected to honor the fallen,living and heroes of all wars,conflicts and missions?Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Thread Information