What Is An "Honorary Promotion" In The Marine Corps???
Create Post

What Is An "Honorary Promotion" In The Marine Corps???

Can't find any reference/authority for this.

Nofi's book, Marine Corps Book of Lists, Albert A. Nofi, 1997, Combined Publishing, page #176, indicates that there have been "Four Honorary Marines" --Bugs Bunny--Stephen Crane, War Correspondent--Bgen James G. Harbord, USA--SgtMaj Jacob Vouza of the Solomon Island Defense Force, WWII.

Hmm...but nothing on "honorary promotions," now that's strange....

http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/ErmeyArch.htm

Re: What Is An "Honorary Promotion" In The Marine Corps???

Originally posted by gunnyg
    Can't find any reference/authority for this.

Nofi's book, Marine Corps Book of Lists, Albert A. Nofi, 1997, Combined Publishing, page #176, indicates that there have been "Four Honorary Marines" --Bugs Bunny--Stephen Crane, War Correspondent--Bgen James G. Harbord, USA--SgtMaj Jacob Vouza of the Solomon Island Defense Force, WWII.

Hmm...but nothing on "honorary promotions," now that's strange....

http://www.mca-marines.org/Leatherneck/ErmeyArch.htm
    Might wanna mess with the WORD "Honorary" The rest should fall in place.

Not gonna mess w/it....

it serves my purpose well as is!

Honorary
    a : conferred or elected in recognition of achievement or service without the usual prerequisites or obligations

I was suggesting You check the meaning Marine. and Like I said the rest falls into place.

I already know the meaning of honorary...and what is is, for that matter.

now...try reading between the lines of my initial post and you will get my drift, Marine....

Just Plain Dick

Of course, we all know the meaning of "brevet," right?

OK....

THE BREVET RANK

The innovation of the brevet rank was adopted subsequent to the War of 1812. It was to be awarded to officers who had distinguished themselves in action or had served ten years in grade. Such commissions in the Marine Corps, date from April 16, 1814. In essence, this amounted to an honorary promotion, w/o any increase in either pay or seniority.
    Navy Regulations did not permit the award of a Medal of Honor to an officer before 1916, therefore, it was common practice in the Marine Corps for an officer to be awarded a brevet in lieu of a Medal of Honor.

THE BREVET MEDAL

In 1921, CMC John A. Lejeune proposed that surviving officers who held brevets be given a special decoration. This was approved, and all living brevet holders were awarded the Brevet Medal, which resembled the 1917 version of the Navy Medal of Honor, a gold cross pattee, with a red ribbon seasoned with gold stars. The Brevet Medal was second only to the Medal of Honor in precedence.

Re Marine Corps Book of Lists, Nofi, Combined Publishing, 1997

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 1:37 PM
    from IP address 66.133.134.222

Re: I already know the meaning of honorary...and what is is, for that matter.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gunnyg
    [B]now...try reading between the lines of my initial post and you will get my drift, Marine....

I'm in the drift now Marine

FYI,

MARINE CORPS ORDER P1400.32C

Subj: MARINE CORPS PROMOTION MANUAL, VOLUME 2, ENLISTED PROMOTIONS
    (SHORT TITLE: MARCORPROMMAN, VOL 2, ENLPROM)

5. There are no provisions to issue a temporary, honorary or
    probationary enlisted appointment.

Semper Fi,

Outstanding!

That's what I want to hear, Top!

Strange, a publication (see URL above) that will not print a word about Sgt Ray Jacobs--the now recognized radioman in SSgt Lou Lowery's Iwo Jima Flag photos (THE Flag-not the "replacement" flag)one of the now two living survivors of Lt Schrier's 40-man combat patrol up Suribachi--can just go ahead and write-up a non-existent "honorary promotion!"

A Comedy of Errors A-Z--IMHO!
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/764804/posts

Registered User Free Member Havelka's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There's a large group of Former Marines in Naperville,Illinois that have a Marine Corps ball every year for over 20 years now.They call themselves The Naperville Marines.
    They have an opening ceremony which one of the members is a Corporal under four years.He gives all the orders and is sort of the M.C. Well they decided to make him a Gunny with 3 hash
    marks.
    I resent this practice and along with other Marines complained.
    Nothing has been done about this and he shows up at a lot of Veteran function's as this phony Gunny.
    A lot of people quit going to this ball.

Yeah....

I've decided I prefer the term....pseudo-gunny --or more honestly, ssgt medically retired 12 years!--in this case.

Thread Information