U.S. Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool U.S. Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home

U.S. Soldier's Uniform Hangs From Noose In Front Of Home

POSTED: 10:58 am EST February 9, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Nestled in a quiet Sacramento neighborhood is a very loud political statement that is testing the very foundation of the right to free speech.

Hanging from a house in Land Park a soldier's uniform in a noose dangles from a rooftop. The words "your tax dollars at work" are scrolled across the chest.

In this community, this homeowners' view of the war in Iraq has not gone unnoticed.

"I think it's the ultimate sign of disrespect. We have troops dying for us," Land Park resident Mark Cohen said.

"(I'm) annoyed and disgusted. I think if this is the way someone feels they can find a better way to vent their opinions," Land Park resident Pete Miles said.

The homeowners behind the controversy are Steve and Virginia Pearcy. They released a statement saying, "There will always be people who are offended by political speech, and the most important forum of all ... is one's own residence. The First Amendment is meaningless unless dissent is allowed."

Some neighbors agree.

"Even if you don't agree with it, he has the right to state his opinion. I don't find it offensive at all," Land Park resident Cece Williams said.

The tension in the neighborhood has escalated into more than just a political feud.

The matter has been reported to the police department and to the city attorney. The City Council has even heard about it, but said they can't solve the problem.

"Unfortunately or fortunately, this is protected speech by the First Amendment ... so there is nothing we can do about it," Sacramento City Councilman Rob Fong said.

Do You Find Display Offensive?

Ellie

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Disgusting and pretty un-f*cking appreciative. There is an online poll on the NBC News Page.

I hope these types of people dont reproduce.......

LT

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And wouldnt you know it this is happening in my state. Maybe now you all will have a better idea of the liberal mindset that is all over this place. Sacramento is not known for this extreme type of demonstration though and I would expect it more from Berkeley. This is very reminiscent of the Vietnam War period. I am severely out numbered out here send in an extraction or reinforcements .

Sempers
    Jim

As much as I loathe admitting it, and despite the fact that I personally think they are a couple of idiots, all of us back to the beginning served to ensure that even the idiots can have their say. I see this bit of news on several gun boards I frequent and most there are just livid about it, some even believe that these folks should be shutdown etc. Or shot down either way. LOL But we have to remember that if we take away their right to speak their opinion even though it is an abhorrent one..that we hurt the rights of all of us and make useless the blood our brothers have spilled to give them that right.

scopekill26
    Guest Free Member
    Keep your heads up Marines!!!

Above all remember that this is one civilians oppinion, and they do not fully understand the sacrifices that are being made for their freedom!

Proud to serve...........

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    I have to agree, that we ALL serve(d), so that their right to do just this is preserved. It is part of the essence of OUR Constitution.

It's too bad that they don't realize that they are spurning the very system that 'supports and defends' their right to do so. Are they breaking any LAWS would be the question. I'm not sure if stuffing MY Flag into the uniform like that is a violation of the Flag code or not.

Narrow minded people... intent upon their own justification, instead of the common good.

Am I happy about it .... HE!! NO.
    Will I defend their right to do what they see fit on their own property... YES.
    Would I like to meet them in a dark alley one evening... YES.

Terry

Land of the free... BECAUSE of the Brave !!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sacramento? Someone should move the Capitol back to Stockton. I wonder if those folks would like likeness's of themselves hung out of everyone's window with the same words attached? A tit- for-tat. First Amendment rights for all.

Hey, I'm offended. Maybe I should contact the ACLU and sue. God knows that's what these m@&*@%f*@&$&# do when the shoe is on the other foot.

I agree it is very offensive.... But seems to me completely within their rights to do. Can't have it both ways we either have this level of freedom of expression/speech or you don't. I happen to believe and support free speech no matter how outrageous or offensive. Of course I would encourage others to stand around in front of the house and support contrary points of view too. I can also appreciate how many would like to meet these folks off site and express your/our contrary points with much vigor....

Credits
    Savings
    This display is totally disgusting . A better show of our tax dollars at work are the pictures of the Iraqi people on 30 January 05 showing the purple ink on their fingers signifying their voting.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm

Registered User Free Member B A Hall's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Somebody needs to torch the house.The F#$&&%#@@ Idiot.

The absolute worst part about freedom has to be the fact, the very best give their blood, sweat, and lives to protect what at times can only be described as the very worst scum freedom can produce, I have no problem with free speach, I have a problem with morons total and complete lack of respect for things a great many of us hold very dear to get nothing more than a shock effect, I say they want shock effect.. OK let them have it, FIX BAYONETS!

Originally posted by vfm
    This display is totally disgusting . A better show of our tax dollars at work are the pictures of the Iraqi people on 30 January 05 showing the purple ink on their fingers signifying their voting.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm
    This is what we need to focus on.
    The display is disgusting, even more so because it is a reflection of a soldier. There are less offensive ways to express ones sentiments.

Still....it is an example of America and its freedoms paid for by all who have gone before us.

Registered User Free Member THATFEMALE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't give a crap about free speech! That display is a total sign of disrespect. That really ****es me off because my brothers and sisters are over there dying to protect dirtbags like this. Next time I go visit my parents I think I'll take a little trip! That crap belongs in the garbage. Stay up my fellow Marines.

Thread Information