Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 20
Create Post
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

What makes some vet go back there ? didn't you have enough of that place.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMarine View Post
    I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
    55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
    dapasc@imonmail.com

I had a easy tour compared to many. Working in the Comm Center afforded me a few outs...I was one of a very few who could decode off-line messages, therefore I was not allowed to go on patrols around our area. We had our share of rocket and mortar attacks, but that was nothing compared to what you others had to face out in the field. Since my name was already on the disclosure sheet of those messages, it did appointment me as first choice to go on the courier runs to all the major HQ throughout the DaNang area. The only place where I ever ran into "trouble" was in Happy Valley. Being the middle of the night and on the road, I never saw more than a few flashes during the six-months had the job. Heard the shots coming my way, but the driver wouild just speed up and we got the hell out of Dodge...we all had our missions, but mine didn't include close combat. Salute to those of you who spent the time in the bush.

Was at MAG11, VMCJ 1 from Oct 1967 to Oct 1969, went through Dogpatch a bunch of times. Kind of brings chills sometimes thinking of those days. China Beach, Hill 327, Monkey Mountain, Bob Hope Show, R&R to Bankok, Japan, and a few other places. Yea the dump blew up , there were some not real fun times & the Air Force blew out of town a few times too when things looked a little spooky but we also had some really good times too.

SEMPER FI

i was with mass-3 magg-18 on hill 327.your right ,many bad times ,but there were some good times,went to ghina beach and red beach,was at the bob hope show,went through dog patch many times,yes i remember when the dump went up,i was on hill 200 when that happened.never took an r&r.someone has some pictures of dog patch on here ,i remember it well,better than i can remember names. joe semper fi

dog patch

Hey Leather neck,

I remember Freedom Hill(Big PX), Dog Patch, 4 Corners, The Ice factory, steam and cream and South China beach. I was @ Mag 11, VMCJ -1 in Danang 70-71, Have a lot vivid memorys, wow how time flys.

Thanx for sharing, Big sarg, Retired, USA

The Ice Fatory - If I recall, we had to go to I Corps Hq - they are the ones that put cement in the sandbags and then clear coated the bunkers after the cement dried.
    S&C - wasn't that near I Corps and located on an Army installation - I remember going to China Beach one day and we stopped there on the way back...
    been so long I can't really remember...

Hey Big Sarg,

You sound like you were there yesterday, It is hard to beleive that over forty years have gone by. What was your mos and when & where did you go to boot camp. I just signed up here and it is so great to hear from an old devil dog, I went to parris Island on the 2nd of Sept. 1968. I was in 1st batt. #1022. Stayed in the usmc till 1974. Got out never to return, In 1986 I went in the army and just retired last year. It was hard to find another soldier around with as many campain metals/patches. Chesty would have been proud. Stay in touch,

Semper Fi, Don Chambers

I was there too. email me please

Hello there I was 1 MAW 1st LAAM echo Btry , I did boot camp at MCRD 1966 Plt 3349 MOS 2532 Radio Relay Operator. We may have been there at the same time.

Hey BVD, did boot at MCRD SD, 6/65, Plt 242. Was on Hill 327, FLSG "A" DaNang, ASP#1. Looks like I was a bit ahead of you.
    S/F!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layman View Post
    Was at MAG11, VMCJ 1 from Oct 1967 to Oct 1969, went through Dogpatch a bunch of times. Kind of brings chills sometimes thinking of those days. China Beach, Hill 327, Monkey Mountain, Bob Hope Show, R&R to Bankok, Japan, and a few other places. Yea the dump blew up , there were some not real fun times & the Air Force blew out of town a few times too when things looked a little spooky but we also had some really good times too.

SEMPER FI
    Hey Tim, I was in country from Feb 69 to Mar 70, I was a Radio Relay Repairman with 1st MAW HQ Group. MAG 11 was across the road from us, next to the USO building, I use to get burgers there. I remember when the dump blew, if I remember right it was in April of 69. After 4 months at Radio Relay Central, I was outpost to MCAS 4 on Monkey Mountain. Did you ever seen the Navy Jet that augered into the side of mountain right next to the road?

I did enjoy when I had off going to China Beach for a swim and R&R in Sydney.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings

Yes, I was there....Should have know better

I was with 2/5 out of An Hoa and on an operation in late '68 when we lost about 200 to malaria. I spent a month in the hospital *NAMRU) in Da Nang and had to make several return trips to the hospital after release. I don't know how I found my way there, but had a wonderful afternoon with a beautiful local (with Momma Son & Pappa Son in the next room). Anyway, obvioulsy, no bus service, but got picked up by some senior Marines, kinda of on patrol in a jeep, who took me back to Da Nang. Said there were bad guys in the neighborhood. Glad I didn't have to kill them! Great Escape!

dakadaka1;598430] I was by dog patch it was across the fence. I was in 1st maw h&hs hq motor transport from 1966 to 1969

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going. I responded to it 5 years ago. I was with 1st 8" Howitzers attached to the 12th Marines. We landed as part of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade in March of 1965. Spent first two weeks in country on the airbase, then we relocated to a position near the base of Hill 327. We were the only ones out there for a few weeks. The pictures I see on here of Dog Patch don't look anything like I remember it. The dirt road through the village wasn't very wide. I think the guns were about 12 feet wide. We had to go pretty slow passing through Dog Patch so as not to tear the roofs off of the little shacks on each side of the road. I also don't remember any bars or *****houses being there. No telephone poles or power lines either. I remember the VC blew up the fuel dump north of Da Nang by the river in July of 65. I was on an outpost that night and it lit up the night sky and the surrounding rice paddies for quite some time that evening. Also remember when the two Phantoms plowed into Monkey mountain. You could see the brown spot from our position near hill 327. Also the Bomber that crashed on the south end of the runway on takeoff. I had always heard that the Marines on the perimeter outposts pulled the crew from the wreckage before it blew up. But I must have heard wrong. Time does fly. It will be 45 years next month that we landed.

I was there too 1 st maw motor transport 1966 to 1969,Dale

Thread Information