Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Very cool Ed, I have often thought og going back for a look see. Google earth helps some....Enjoy !!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    We are numba one on a Google AOL search for "Dogpatch Vietnam"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow cool.

Jim

I was with the phantom outfit that flew into Monkey Mt. It was two planes.We lost both crews.

Quote Originally Posted by rjboehle
    I was with the phantom outfit that flew into Monkey Mt. It was two planes.We lost both crews.

what squadron were you in and when did it happen? I will post it on the 1st MAW Vietnam site as a historical item.

The outfit was VMFA 115 and the date was 27 Oct 1965. One plane was flying on one engine and flew into Monkey Mt and the second plane was flying as his wing man had followed him in.

Both incidents: F4s fly into Monkey mountain and B-57 crash on Danang runway.

I remember this incident, I was with 1st LAAM’s “missile” and had been transferred from Monkey mountain’s B btry to H&S at the airport and I saw the fire and smoke on the mountain. As I recall, it was in the late afternoon I called B btry and enquired as to what had happen and a few minutes later I was informed, one crippled F4 with his wingman also a F4 phantom who was trying to talk his fellow flier down missed their first approach on the runway and was trying for a second attempt with fly around, but both had gone into the mountain. That was fellowship and the buddy factor to the end. What both pilots saw from their cockpit’s point of view has never been released, but their selfless dedication to one another was very obvious and I always wondered what became of this memorable incident. What had caused the cripple I do not know if it was malfunction, or enemy caused.

2.) This F4 incident has nearly the same effect as watching the B-57 that took-off but while on the runway things went immediately bad to worse and the screeching bomber started dropped its bombs as it raced down the runway and before nosing in at the end of the runway and suddenly going to fire, and both pilots were killed. I am almost certain these pilots understood that their aircraft’s bombs could and probably would destroy the runway if they were left on the plane and in a fire. I saw both of these incidents occur and with me they certainly did leave a life-long impression or heroism.

In country "66 with the 1st MAW detailed to herd a crew of locals from Dogpatch into the MAW compound for cleanup. The locals who didn't get to go used to throw rocks at me until I put a weapon on them. No rounds fired, but they scattered like cockroaches in the light. Still feel bad about it.
    They blew up the teahouse with a satchell charge during a football game I was playing in. Wish they would have waited til the end of the game.
    They found about about 15 locals from my crew dead on the wire after they attacked the compound.
    Why they didn't bulldoze that garbage pile of a ville is beyond me.

if you went thru division cp I waved you thru front gate and rear gate at times. if you brought in any indigenous personel through after dark we made some officers pay. it wasn't your fault they couldn't follow the rules was it. they got all of the good stuff, remember!

hey jinelson did that kid ever survive that buker attack. he was a newbee right after tet. by the way the name is Hank. started out in the band became a division mp, then a machine gunner on hill just opposite you guys, on the otherside of the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by redbutcher
    if you went thru division cp I waved you thru front gate and rear gate at times. if you brought in any indigenous personel through after dark we made some officers pay. it wasn't your fault they couldn't follow the rules was it. they got all of the good stuff, remember!
    Went through the front gate twice a day for two months. I'm sure I talked to you 'cause I shot the bull with all the gate guys to kill time waiting for the locals. Did the front gate have an M-60 crew in a raised, sandbagged position next to the gate and a guardhouse? I can't remember. I remember the fence between the ville was chain link, razor wire and corrugated steel and any other junk they could find. Semper Fi.

I was at 1st FSR MTM, from August 67-May 69. Was with Clutch Platoon, 3rd Provisional Rifle Platoon (company). Later I drove for the battalion Chaplain. Anyone serving there during that time give me a shout. Dogpatch was right outside our perimeter and across the road. This thread brings back many memories.
    Semper Fi

I was in Danang in early 65,Security Plt.,3rd Mar.Div.
    We were in the old French barracks.
    Every day or so you would see this little old steam engine chugging along ,laying down a cloud of thick black smoke. Any body else remember seeing this?

SEMPER FI WELCOME HOME

I was there 67-69 1st maw motor transport my name is butch bower I would like to here from you.

Hey Butch,I sent a reply,but didn't go thru.
    It was about liberty in Danang,in early 65.
    Man that 33 beer was as warm as monkey ****.
    After the first few,the rest went down ok.

SEMPER FI/WELCOME HOME

Thread Information