question
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question

Question question

Hello to all from a new member,
    Im set to leave for PI March 21 and Iv got some pre boot camp questions. My recruiter has left for Iraq so I didnt get the chance to ask any questions. What exactly will get you sent home from boot camp(besides the obvious, Fraternization or being a complete dumb a@@) Im looking forward to being a Marine, and truthfully there is nothing I have ever wanted more. Physically I am Ok, average runner and above average body strength. Working on stamina and pullups(biggest concern). Im about 6'6 260. I need to loose a few lbs before I ship but that can be easily done. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will not be sent home from boot camp. Unless you refuse to train. Quickest way off the island is to graduate

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Average runner, that can be easily be changed depending on your motivation. A side effect will be a drop in your body mass. Your pull-ups will also increase.

Think deeply on this. You are joining a lifelong Brotherhood. You now have first hand experience of someone you personally know going off to combat for these our United States.

Thanks for the replies, cant wait to wear that uniform bearing the crucible.

Remember they had someone die on the crucible here recently. But that shouldnt be a problem. You'll be hitting that in june. Its the most fun you'll ever have.

Dam lestat,
    Big Kid! I guess mortars or heavy guns will be looking at you. As for what will get yoiu sent home Lewis is right, as long as you waqnt to train, they work with you. The obvious exceptions are some serious injury. Keep up the PT, eat smart and try to cut mass as best you can safely (don't get silly and hurt yourself). Stay with cardio and calastetics (sp error) ,push ups, side straddle hops, sit ups etc. loose the weight lifting or at least cut it down to high reps low weight. Good luck.

Not to worry the DI's will get any extra weight off ya and if they're good you may even come out like 6'1"

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Yeah, I served in the Cold War Era. Our SNCOs said, "All you 6'4" 250 pound motherf*ckers are just bigger targets for the Soviet Naval Infantry. Only you c*cks*ckers with radio antenaes are nicer targets for them!"

The principal is probably the same these days. Lose the weight and get your 3 mile run time down. Invest $100 bucks in good jogging shoes and put at least 200 miles in them before March!

Otherwise, you will experiece more pain and humiliation than you have ever known.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Oh, pardon me. You actual will experience more pain and humiliaitaion than your have ever known. That I know for a fact.

But if your are more physically prepared you might expierenced less. I was never a Drill Instructor, so its only a thoery.

thanks for the suggestions and replies......my mos is spec security forces.

Ok other then the PT advice you already got from others here on the forum............And if I may add it was very sound advice.

About all I could say to any poolee would be. remember..this is just a heads-up and this is how it was back in the 60's-70's

Never call your drill instructor a DI or refer to a drill instructoe as (You ).............it's always the drill instructor or the senior drill instructor.......The senior will be wearing a black belt.....in boot camp titles mean everything
    Never look him/her straight in the eyes....... Instead look thru them..........Like they are not even there.
    Never refer to yourself as ( I ) ...from the time you reach the island to the time they tell you .........that "you are now a Marine". You refer to yourself as ( the private )
    And most of all remember this.............the job you want and you want it like you've not wanted anything more in your life is Platoon Guide............. not always but most of the time the guide recieved. dress blues. ......like I mentioned earlier perhaps this is all old news. Maybe someone who went thru boot camp not so long ago can fine tune this some. I hope this helps you out....Semper-Fi

Thanks.....how to refer to the Drill Isntructors was the next question i was gonna ask.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Lestt - one word of advice from a mother - try to get as much sleep as you can the night before you leave and on the trip to the Island ( also, never refer to it as "PI"). If you can nap at MEPS whle waiting for transport, and at the airport, do it. Those first 24 hours are killers.

Also, check your wallet - take out pictures of the girlfriend - no keys, and do not get a haircut before leaving - trust me on this one.

Originally posted by marinemom
    Lestt -
    Also, check your wallet - take out pictures of the girlfriend - no keys, and do not get a haircut before leaving - trust me on this one.
    I can attest to this one.
    I don't know about now, but back in '65 only minutes from the yellow foot prints and in the recieving barracks we were told to empty our wallets.
    The DI's rifled through the contents and had some ripe remarks about pictures of girlfriends, relatives and other contents.
    One of the first of many tests.

Originally posted by abel
    thanks for the suggestions and replies......my mos is spec security forces.

Ahhh, don't mean to burst your bubble, but your MOS is INFANTRY. for 18months you will fill a billet in security forces, but thats about it. ( except in very RARE cases) and when if your DI's ask you what you MOS is, tell them Infantry with a security forces option, otherwise they are just gonna correct you.

Originally posted by Sgted

I can attest to this one.
    I don't know about now, but back in '65 only minutes from the yellow foot prints and in the recieving barracks we were told to empty our wallets.
    The DI's rifled through the contents and had some ripe remarks about pictures of girlfriends, relatives and other contents.
    One of the first of many tests.
    So do they let you keep those pictures during training?

Thread Information