Wartime/Peacetime Bootcamp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wartime/Peacetime Bootcamp

What do you think? Now that we have what appears to be a sustained war going on....Drill Instructors ramping up a little more? I went through boot in war time and it was geared towards keeping us alive by making it hell. Do you think a change is taking place? Do you think there is a difference between wartime and peacetime bootcamp? I think so!!!

Yes Bootcamp does go through its changes along with the times we are in. The attention to detail during the field week and crucible week is stressed, stressed, stressed. Classes taught and taught, gas chmber is longer and more intense, and we prac app the patrols more often......kill kill kill em all

If anyone would know, it would be you drillinstructor. Looks like you will be producing some leaner,meaner combat ready Marines. Now more like the bootcamp I remember. I'm sure these future Marines won't be coming out of boot with remarks like: It wasn't as tough as I thought it was going to be. Kill,Kill,kill is still ringing in my ears after all these years. Thanks for you contribution to the Corps Gunny. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I went through boot camp in 1967 and the Nam was stretching the Corps resources to the max, so they shortened boot camp to I believe 8 weeks. I believe it was more challenging because our beloved Drill Instructors had to instill the same training as the 13 week cycle but at an excellerated rate. What say you out there?

You are right jinelson...boot was reduced to 9 weeks when I went in (Feb 67)....excellerated rate...up earlier and to the rack later.

May of 67 here...that nine weeks felt like 24 hour days of drill, drill, drill and with a little drill thrown in for fun. When we were resting, we had to run and do them damn squat thrusts or push-ups! I grew to hate that particular form of exercise! I must have done a million push-ups...no wonder my arms still hurt!!!

Originally posted by jinelson
    I went through boot camp in 1967 and the Nam was stretching the Corps resources to the max, so they shortened boot camp to I believe 8 weeks. I believe it was more challenging because our beloved Drill Instructors had to instill the same training as the 13 week cycle but at an excellerated rate. What say you out there?
    Aug - Oct 1965 here.
    8 week training for me.
    Condensed training to fill shortages in WESTPAC.
    As gbudd said.....Kill, Kill, Kill is still ringing in my ears and I'm still trying to catch up on shut eye.
    I posted on this subject once before and asked if anyone knew what we 8 or 9 week trainees really missed out on.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Our SNCOs in '83 poked fun at us 'boots.

"There was no 'marching to the chow hall, 'marching out to the rifle range...They RAN our d*cks into the dirt the whole time!"

Bootcamp---war time---quick time---what did you miss?

Did you wash your own gear?

Did you do bucket drill?

Did you dye your shoes and boots?

Did you have hand to hand combat training?

Did you march to church on Sunday?

Did you clean weapons that were already clean?

Did you spend most of your time learning close order drill?

Wondering---I was pre-war.

Registered User Free Member Blindside8162's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Two of our drill instructors had combat experience in Iraq/Afghanistan so they really pounded the concept of situational awareness and attention to detail into our heads. They also told personal stories of buddies they had lost because of stupid mistakes. I belive we will benefit greatly from what we have been taught.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    not sure what a "bucket drill" is. the rest of it sounds familiar from 1969.

Originally posted by greensideout
    Bootcamp---war time---quick time---what did you miss?

Did you wash your own gear?

Did you do bucket drill?

Did you dye your shoes and boots?

Did you have hand to hand combat training?

Did you march to church on Sunday?

Did you clean weapons that were already clean?

Did you spend most of your time learning close order drill?

Wondering---I was pre-war.
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes

And

Yes

Sounds the same to me too.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    ...concept of situational awareness and attention to detail into our heads.
    It sounds like they were interested in training to save your lives!

Dammit, if you read between the lines of CNN and FOX, you can tell that there is a professionally trained and determined foe in 'The Sandbox'.

There has been more than a few Marine Corps sniper teams that have suffered casualties to counter-sniper tactics. That is a definate finger print of intense Syrian or Iranian training.

Kill the b*stards and get your ass and the asses of your platoon 'mates home safe!

Semper Fi!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    wing, wouldn't ya think that at least part of the Iraqi military was well trained? The same military that we summararily dismissed.

Thread Information