A project that needs help
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A project that needs help

-Hi
    I am currently trying to work on a project that would inform students and others about the issue of Iraq and trying to start some kind of drives or find different ways to support the troops in Iraq. However, I have little information on about doing this, so any help or information would be gladly appreciated. Thank You!

Love always..
    ..Sophy..

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Please check usmc.mil or search for the DOD (Dept. of Defense)website. In any of the two you will discover links to questions that you might have in regards to your project. The DOD website has alot of ways to search and seek (Armed Forces etc.)
    Good luck.
    Gary

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good luck Soph and thanks. It is a wonderful thing you have planned. Web sites are good ways of getting things out. Posters, etc. Care package drives are cool. A friend of mine is making care packages, and funding them by selling those Support our Troops magnets. She is taking the difference from what she paid to what she is selling them for, and putting it into the care package. Her son is in Iraq now.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank You guys soo much.. I'm just thinking of how and what to do to help support them.. I'm just not sure yet on what to do and I'm really excited in getting this project going because my boyfriend is in the Marines and so are his Brother and Cousin... His Cousin is in the middle of Fallujah right now and I'm sending all my prayers to him and his family and to the rest of the troops over there.. So I figured it would be good to create an awareness to people about the War on Iraq and to inform others that its not just for the oil but for the sake of helping others... Any ideas on how about I should do this project would help.. and Thanks Gary and cjwright for the website input.. Any more would be very helpful to me since this is my first time actually starting something like this. Thank You

-Sophy

Credits
    Savings
    Angel,
    There is a website named Marine Moms Online and also a group called "The Lejeuner's"(Camp Lejeune). I believe that both sites were founded by women and include, I'm sure, projects that you might need help with or advice. Also each Marine Division/Battalion/Regiment (I hope that I didn't screw up the order.), to my knowledge has a contact person and also a support link. If you know your boyfriends Division/Battalion/Regiment and then his Company I am sure that you will be able to find some sort of support group that can help you. Don't be tentative about asking for assistance. Support groups thrive on these kind of matters.
    It's www.defenselink.mil for the DOD site and www.usmc.mil for the United States Marines.

hey there! Long time no hear. i would love to help out! i dont know how that would work! But i have been thinking of doing something like that myself. Seeley may get a medical discharge, however, i support him and hope that he gets to stay in. And even if he is discharged then i am still a fan of the Marines and hope to join myself... let me know what i could do!

oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL YOU MARINES!!!!!!!!!

amanda

Sophy,

I think that what you are doing is a wonderful thing for our troops! There is a section of USMC.mil that you can and it will tell you exactly what they need and what they don't need

Here's one idea:
    Toys for tots, but for the troops.

Toys for tots is gift giving program that helps unfortunate children during the holidays. Marines are there every year excepting toys. Why not do this for the Marines themselves? I think this would be a great way to cheer up our guys during the holidays away from their faimlies. Just a quick suggestion. Happy happy birthday!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Sgt. Morales thanks for the idea and I was actually thinking of that! But another idea that popped into my mind was the Operation Hero Miles program that was put up to help the returning or wounded troops and their family back to one of the 3 airports in the United States for free by donating their Frequent Flyer Miles Award to the participating airline. I think this would be a great idea because I know how it feels for those whom are waiting for their love one return and some doesnt return because they worry about the cost in returning. So I was thinking of starting an organization that would help collect money or have people donate some of their Frequent Flyer Miles to one of the Airlines.. I'm just thinking of how about I'm going to do this.. But wish me Luck! and Thanks Gary for the website! I found some very very interesting idea on what to do!

-Sophy

Sophy,
    These are the items that the USO is asking for. What they want is corporate sponsored stuff (in bulk). What you can do is go to these company's, or write them, and see if they would help you with your program. That's if the frequent flyer mile thing doesn't work out. Either way...this is a great thing that you are doing for us!!!

Items needed:

Pre-paid Global Calling Cards
    Playing Cards and Board Games
    Toothbrushes Compact Discs
    Toothpaste Current Movies on DVD
    Tissues
    Crossword Puzzle Books
    Shampoo/Conditioner
    Disposable Cameras
    Shower Gel Small Footballs, Softballs
    Sunscreen Stationery and Journals
    Baby Wipes Sunglasses
    Hand Lotion CD/DVD Cases with Zipper
    Lip Balm
    Individually Wrapped Snack Items
    Cotton Swabs Shoe Polish Kits

Credits
    Savings
    Angel,
    I once sent a package to my son using two frisbees as the box to contain the goodies. You'd be surprised what you can put between two frisbees. I then sealed the frsbees together with clear packing tape and then put the pakage into a non-tearable postal envelope and sent it priority mail. Everything arrived in Kuwai/Iraq in fine condition and the son said that everyone had fun with the frisbees. (Just an idea)

Credits
    Savings
    Wow thats such a great Idea! now i'm debating on whether to raise money to donate to the frequent flyer miles award or to write to big companies to help send care packages to the troops..

Another issue that I'm concern with is how actually am I going to inform students and those who does not see the whole cause of the war and what we are doing to help out the world..

When I was in college I was the chair to our 8th annual Youth conference that motivated kids to go college. We would go to all the high schools in the Los Angeles area and speak with 11th and 12th grade kids. The first thing was getting the permission of the school. I would talk to the counselors and ask if Me and my club could talk to the teachers and kids about my program. Once I got the access from the counselors, it was smooth sailing. We had over 500 kids attend our conference. It takes hard work and time to do something this big. If you have the help of high school kids, you can target more companies to help you. Make flyers with information, write down a script with issues that you want to discuss.
    You don't have to make it a big debate. Just tell them what you are doing and what you need from them. You don't have to debate on the cause of the war, just tell them that there are thousands of servicemen and women out there fighting and will continue fighting during the holidays. Even though they are in terrible conditions, a little care package will bring them great joy!!!

Good luck

Angel,
    NIce to hear about what your doing. Just a thought but if you can contact your local marine Reserve unit or Recruiter, they may have something going that you can help out with or better yet, talk to the commanding officer and let him know what you would like to do. He can go as far as getting some Marines together to visit schools and inform students or get Marines together to start some sort of drive for gear. Toys for tots is starting up so Reserve units will be busy but I'm sure help can eb given for a good cause.
    Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Car thats such a great idea! I never thought of that! Thank You so much for that input! Now all I have to do is write a proposal on it! Thank You guys! anymore Ideas will be appreciated! You Guys are the Best!

Love always
    -Sophy

Originally posted by Sgt Morales, AM
    Sophy,
    These are the items that the USO is asking for. What they want is corporate sponsored stuff (in bulk). What you can do is go to these company's, or write them, and see if they would help you with your program. That's if the frequent flyer mile thing doesn't work out. Either way...this is a great thing that you are doing for us!!!

Items needed:

Pre-paid Global Calling Cards
    Playing Cards and Board Games
    Toothbrushes Compact Discs
    Toothpaste Current Movies on DVD
    Tissues
    Crossword Puzzle Books
    Shampoo/Conditioner
    Disposable Cameras
    Shower Gel Small Footballs, Softballs
    Sunscreen Stationery and Journals
    Baby Wipes Sunglasses
    Hand Lotion CD/DVD Cases with Zipper
    Lip Balm
    Individually Wrapped Snack Items
    Cotton Swabs Shoe Polish Kits

And don't forget the quality of life things for grunts!!!!

-Gatorade (powdered, comes in cylindrical orange containers if memory serves me right)

-stateside Copenhagen ( cardboard can)

-Wet Naps or similar

-Envelopes

-Stationary for letters home

-Books (military history/action or military fiction usually )

-Toilet paper (Charmin or other soft ones, government issue toilet paper is horrible )

-stateside Copenhagen again

-Gatorade again

-

Thread Information