For you COMBAT vets. ( anyone else can answer too) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    what did you DO for those air, earth, tress ?

Credits
    Savings
    Before I went into MCRDSD I was visiting my grandmother in NJ. She had a Sacred Heart of Jesus blessed by a Catholic priest and she gave it to me. I am not Catholic but she was.
    I carried it in my wallet while in Nam and every time I got a new wallet it was put in the new one. I carried it for over 35 years. I lost my wallet in 2002 while in the hospital for by-pass surgery. Guess I should get another one.

Registered User Free Member decuervo's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I laminated a picture of my girlfriend (my wife now) to keep it safe from the rain and carried it in my left breast pocket. Still carry it in my wallet today.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but just saw this HardJedi.
    I'm part Native American and we believe everything has a god so I would give a little prayer to the gods of all the elements to look after us when we went out. Don't know if it worked and not sure I believe it myself but it always seemed to help. At least it helped me think straight and gave me hope even it was false.

Been to Joe's Crab Shack lately, Dave?

BTW, our daughter lives in DC and several years ago when she needed a new car, she went to the Saturn dealer in Gaithersburg and bought a Saturn.

SF
    crate

Quote Originally Posted by HardJedi
    More of my boredome and curiousity at work tonight.

I was just sitting here, doing nothing, and I came up with this question. I apologise if it has been discussed before.

so here goes.

While you were in the theatre of operations of the war or conflict you served in, did you carry a lucky charm of some sort with you? and if so, what was it?

Me personally, Only time I ever carried anything was when I was sent to Haiti in 1994 ( that hardly qualifies as a war or conflict, but there was SOME shooting) ANYWAY, what I carried for luck was a small braid of my girlfriends hair. She had cut a section about six inches long and braided it, and I carried it with me everywhere. Heck. I actually STILL carry it.

what about you REAL combat vets? any good luck charms from those times?
    No.

When I arrived in-country, Viet Nam, I did have some personal effect with me, but when I left left my rear area (Dong Ha) and headed out into the bush to meet up with Bravo 1/3, who I served my tour with, I took zero personal effects with me, not even letter-writing gear.

When I graduated Airborne school in 1984, we got little "St Micheal" charms. I wore that, with my dog tags, until it literally wore through the round hook that held it on the chain. Replaced it with another a few years back, which I still wear.

I'm Irish..so naturally supersticious....lol...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I CARRIED THOSE RED~SILK~PANTIE'S,I LIBERATED FROM THAT FINE;ROUND~EYE~DOUGHNUT DOLLY!KEPT THEM IN AN EMPTY~PRC.25~RUBBER BATTERY BAG!WOULD PASS AROUND TO FELLOW SQ.MEMBER'S FOR A LITTLE SCRATCH&SNIFF(LOL) OOHRAH!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My good luck charm was coming home with my ass intact. I still carry that around too.

A picture of my newborn son and on the other side a 9line laminated inside my left breast pocket. I guess it worked.

Before I left

for Vietnam, I had a Crucifix tattooed on my chest for luck. That's how I got the nickname Preacher.

SF, Preacher

Credits
    Savings
    When I joined the Corps in '63 my grandmother, who was catholic, gave me something called the sacred heart. It was a little bigger than a quarter. I am not catholic. I carried it with me in Nam.
    In 2002 I had heart surgary and my wallet which the sacred heart was in was lost in the hospital.
    My mother-in-law (catholic) got me another on and I still carry it in my wallet.
    I believe it not only got me thru Nam but the surgery too.

wow. can't believe this thread is still around. I started this thing a LONG time ago.

I wore a St. Christopher metal, and also had a small bible that my farther-inlaw had with him when he was a POW in the Philipines.

Thread Information