SMP rides the rapids on whitewater rafting trip
Submitted by: MCLB Barstow
Story Identification #: 200492317100
Story by Lance Cpl. Ashley Warden

MARINE CORPS LOGISTICS BASE BARSTOW, Calif. (Sept. 23, 2004) -- Ten Marines participating in Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow's Single Marine Program took the challenge and rafted the Middle Fork American River, in Foresthill, Calif. During the 9-hour endeavor, Marines rafted through class III and IV rapids and a 30-foot waterfall Sept. 15 through 17.

Tents, sleeping bags and most importantly coolers containing food, were grabbed and hauled into the mountains of Foresthill as Marines camped for two nights. Cold mornings and nights brought the 10 Marines together around a fire, which soon warmed everyone enough to tell jokes and ghost stories.

"I really had a lot of fun myself, but I would have to say the best thing about the trip was the camaraderie among the Marines," said Staff Sgt. Travis Snyder, a tracked vehicle repairer for MCLB Barstow's Fleet Support Division. "As the Marines were sitting by the fire telling jokes and sea stories, everyone could relate and share their own experiences. The morale and espirit de corps was very high."

As the fire died down, Marines, full from s'mores and other choice items, entered tents and went to sleep to prepare for a full day of rafting.

Early the next morning the Marines awoke to enter the icy water of the Middle Fork American, which is steeped in the history of the California Gold Rush.

Many of the Marines on the trip had never done whitewater rafting before.

"It was exciting, fun and my first time," said Lance Cpl. Elizabeth Macias Rojo, administration clerk. "Everything went well: the rafting, camping and the way the Marines behaved."

"Absolutely, a success is an understatement," said Snyder. "I didn't hear one complaint, about anything. From the first minute we arrived at the camp site everyone was helping each other set up our bivouac site, to assisting in making chow, to starting the campfire. Once on the river the Marines had to work as a team to successfully maneuver through the rapids. (During) lunch break the Marines took the initiative to assist the guides in setting up chow for the other groups, really confirming their professionalism. There were numerous comments from the other groups stating how well the Marines acted and took charge in every aspect they could volunteer. These Marines truly displayed a 'Band of Brothers and Sisters!'"

MCLB Barstow Marines "surf" a rapid during the whitewater rafting trip held Sept. 16. "Surfing" is a technique where boat crews try to get caught in a reversal, which is the spot where water flows against the current to try to fill a space that is left when water runs over a rock in the river. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Elizabeth Macias Rojo

Barstow Marines and their guide Bubba, practice what it should feel like when all passengers in the raft paddle together; without teamwork there can sometimes be disasterous results when encountering more difficult rapids. This was done before entering and starting the rafting trip because the first thing on the river at the entry point is a class III rapid called "Panic Alley." Photo by: Lance Cpl. Ashley Warden

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...4?opendocument

Ellie