daughter about to sign up
Create Post

daughter about to sign up

My 17 y/o daughter is very interesred in joining the Marines through the early sign up program while she is still in high school. She makes great grades, wants to become a marine biologist, is very responsible, never been in any trouble, doesn't need money for college and comes from an upper-middle class community. My questions:
    1) What can the Marines offer her?
    2) Can I trust what the recruiter tells me?
    I really appreciate any advice. I'm just trying to get all sides of the story that I can.
    Thanks,
    A Texas Dad

texdad,
    Just for reference I was not a recruiter. I'm sure, give it a bit of time and a prior recruiter will respond to you.

From my piont of view I will offer you this. I "grew up" in the Corps. It made me realize a lot about who I was and what I could do with dedication and hard work. It tested me and set me on a good path to succeed. I wasn't ready for college after getting out of high school. I knew it and set my sights on the Marine Corps early in my senior year. I don't regret it. It helped me settle down and while I was in the Corps I took several college courses and finally went to college once I got out.

Sounds like your daughter has her head on straight. An option she may consider would be to become an Officer. There are a few ways to go about it. She could go to college and while in college actually attend Officer boot camp during the summers. She would get a glimpse of the world she is entering and stilll be able to change course if she deems it 'not for her'. Talk to an Officer recruiter for more details on it. I was actually going to go back in after college that way, but got side tracked into another career. (I miss it).

As for specific jobs in the Corps: name it. Several things that she can do, seems more to be what does she want to do.

As for ; can you believe the recruiter. I would have say that our guys are honest about what they tell you. None the less, really look into it and ask tons of questions. You have a great site here to ask whatever you need to about the Corps. I haven't been on this site long but in the time I have, I can say it seems like there are a lot of good hearted Marines here.

Last note: If your ever curious about the Marine Corps as an organization ... look at our history. No other service has as much honor,or pride, in their service as the Corps. We are never Ex-Marines, we are always Marines. To this day I immediately share a bond with a fellow Marine, 20 year vet, 4 year vet, no matter the age. We are brothers.

Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It gives me a good feeling to here your thoughts...and I will ask questions.
    Thanks again,
    Texas Dad

With five daughter's of my own

I wouldn't truat anything anyoen said. I would be proud of her, but I want everything in writing.

Sempers

Cook

Well, and this is coming from someone who's best friend served as a recruiter for awhile.

They will tell you the truth. IF YOU ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS! A Marine recruiter will not outright LIE to you, but that doesn't mean they are going to tell you the ENTIRE truth either. Let's face it, they are given certain numbers to hit, and hit them they must.

As for what can your daughter get out of the USMC? How about a sense of accomplishment that she cannot get ANYWHERE else. Pride in knowing she has belonged to one of the most elite orginizations in the world. Pride at knowing that she actually EARNED her rights as a United States citezen, instead of just taking what is given. Friendships that can last a lifetime. A family of Brothers and Sisters who will go out of their way to help her, even YEARS after she has left active duty?

if that ain't enough, then I just don't know what else one can hope to gain.

Texdad,
    My daughter is now a L/Cpl in my beloved Corps, she graduated almost a year early from high school. The Marines has given her a maturity that college would have taken 5+ years to do. She has been in for about 1 1/2 yrs now. The recruiters gave it to her straight, they didn't pull any punches and i was there and was VERY impressed. If you want any more info PM me and I will get back to you.

Dave

hardjedi, when have you every not known a marine corp recruiter to not tell you the truth. Mine told me son your going to Vietnam and die.. Man did i fool him..

when did I ever know one to NOT tell the truth? you REALLY want me to list the ways? LOL or is that not what you are saying?

Thread Information