USMC Sword?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USMC Sword?

USMC Sword?

I have a chance to buy 4 of these USMC swords at a good price, plan to give one or two to Marines WIA in Iraq in Washington, D.C. next month.

But i will not give it to them if these are not legit.

Anyone know the difference?

The following pictures shows the detail.

SF

Cook

They look legit...

sorry about the large pics

but i wanted to get the details.

Wink More work for me to do...LOL

I will try to look for the notes Roger written down for me, for buying the sword....I was going to buy him one, but that's when the Sh!t hit the fan.....

By the time I find them, I would hope one of the Marines here would have answered.....

Ellie

Question

What does, what looks like the star of David and the solid circle with the triangle on the sword stand for, mean?

Hadn't really paid much attention to it before, untill looking at it up close like this.

SF

Cook

Attached Images Attached Images

This is what I found...(found on another site)

Following WW I the sword was redesigned by Quartermaster General C. L. McCawley USMC. This is when the current etch was added. In 2002 I had some correspondence with Mr. Phil Melling of Wilkinson-Sword, He informed me that the mark was not a Star of David but the Armourers Triangles. Also that if you look at the mark inside of it is a circle with a smaller star and the word PROVED. This is all I have on it.

The Marine Corps Officers' Mameluke Sword
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6350/mameluke.htm

Marine NCO Swords
    http://www.militarysabers.com/marine-swords-nco.html

Still looking for the notes in between other things.....

Ellie

Registered User Free Member Stephen Petrone's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The swords look very good, the scrollwork is great. But the sword knot has to go.

They look real. Also the sword knot has to go.

but it looks so pretty....

maybe I can sell at least one of them to a Hollywood Marine that way.. LMAO

Hey, I went to San Diego...

Attached Images Attached Images

If the sword has a prove mark, and the rules are the same as in the UK, the tip of the sword has been bent to touch the centre of the star... the sword is then said to be proven.
    Only our Officer's swords are all proven blades, the Sgts Maj swords are just non engraved standard swords, the officers are all etched.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The swords are beautiful. I don't know why the making fun of the knot. It's part of the sword for ceremonial occasions. Do you have frogs for the swords? They come in either black and white leather. I don't know if any Marine Corps swords are produced in the United States. The best quality comes from Germany. A quality Officer's sword can cost up to $500 and an NCO sword up to $400 . You're being very generous.

Thread Information