Book List(s) for Marines & Poolee's - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    FutureMarine123 pretty sure that boot camp is 13 weeks or longer depending. Learn that kinda stuff.

Originally posted by Marzyn
    Uh yea, perhaps I should have shortened it to Gunny Hathcock, and if I hadn't been in a rush, I might have remembered to do that, however, I said "Sgt." and due to this oh-so-nasty mistake, I OBVIOUSLY don't know the ranks! Thanks so much Sparrow, I just ordered the book off Amazon, I truely appreciate your snide remarks and sarcastic posts amidst my legitimite attempts to help/be helped. Really, I do.
    If you think thats bad, you shouldn't be trying to get into the Marine Corps. The Drill Instructors are funnier, and they can make you push. On second thought, maybe boot camp can put discipline in your extensive vocabulary through your errors and their trials.

since when can you decide what your mos is going to be in the corps. I thought that was determind by the tests you take once you get to bootcamp. even though some of us had other mos or main mos was 0311 no matter what. has the corp changed that much???

snipowsky
    Guest Free Member
    Why on earth do we even allow Poolee's on our site? Talking like this to my fellow Marines! Show respect, or don't come to our site at all!

This site was made by a Marine for Marines! You are our guests, just keep that in mind. You are not a Marine Poolee, so keep your snide comments to yourself. You haven't yet earned our respect! Sparrowhawk aka Cook has! You should be ashamed of yourself. NOW CHOKE YOURSELF!

Show this man respect, THIS I DEMAND OF YOU! Keep it up and you'll find yourself banned from this site if I have my way!

This is directed solely at you Marzyn! You **** with one Marine, you **** with us all! Remember that!

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    hrscowboy the ASVAB tells you what MOS you qualify for now. I dont ship for a year and I already have Metal worker

Pel

if you're pressed for time the correct way to abreviate would be Gysgt. As far as his sarcasmm, one it was a joke pull the stick out of your butt, two He's a Marine he's paid his dues you haven't have respect. When or rather if you go to boot camp the DI's will have plenty of fun with you. Remember where you are and the fact that it's a privelige not a right

As far as MOS's yes for the most part you now get to pick your MOS you take the ASVAB before you even get in the DEP and that tells you what you are qualified for. Then you pick an MOS from a book and they tell you if it's available to you etc. Or you can go open contract and then the Corps. decides.

Found this and thought I'd bring it back because I've been reading quite alot latley. It's been great for moto in addition to my moto movie mondays.

To Be A U.S. Marine - S.F. Tomajczyk
    Proud: Inside the Marine Corps - Bernard Halsband Cohen
    Jarhead - Anthony Swofford
    Making the Corps - Thomas E. Ricks
    Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills - Charles W. Henderson
    Marshalling the Faithfull: The Marines First Year in Vietnam - Charles W. Henderson
    Dear Mom: A Snipers Vietnam - Joseph T. Ward
    The Proud Bastards - E. Michael Helms
    Boot - Daniel Da Cruz

I've got the next 5 books but haven't read em yet.

Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit - Tom Clancy (currently reading)
    The Walking Dead - Charles W. Sasser & Graig Roberts
    Fields Of Fire - James Webb
    Marine!: The Life of Chesty Puller
    USMC: A Complete History - Marine Corps Association (I don't know if I'll ever read this whole thing but it's an excellent source book. It's a month by month synopsis of every minor to major battle and/or organizational event from november 10th 1775 in Philidelphia to Late 2003 in Iraq.)

As soon as I read these books I'm going to try and find the whol Webb Griffin series, and I've been looking for short-timers by Gustav Hasford (the book full metal jacket is based on). No one ever has that book but the guy at Barnes and Nobles told me they are re pressing it for an August re-release.

Anyone else read anything good latley?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    We Were One - Pat O'Donnell
    One Bullet Away - Nathaniel Fick

The Gift of Valor - Michael M. Phillips (read)

Keeping Faith - John and Frank Schaeffer (read)

The Few and The Proud - Larry Smith (currently reading)

Kurby494 -

Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit - Tom Clancy (currently reading)
    This is a great book. It was written about my Med float so it has a special place in my heart. Still trying to find a way to get Tom Clancy to autograph it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fade2black
    Kurby494 -

This is a great book. It was written about my Med float so it has a special place in my heart. Still trying to find a way to get Tom Clancy to autograph it for me.
    Thats outstanding. I'm barely into the interview with Commandant Krulak but so far the books been full of alot of info and moto.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by snipowsky
    Why on earth do we even allow Poolee's on our site? Talking like this to my fellow Marines! Show respect, or don't come to our site at all!

This site was made by a Marine for Marines! You are our guests, just keep that in mind. You are not a Marine Poolee, so keep your snide comments to yourself. You haven't yet earned our respect! Sparrowhawk aka Cook has! You should be ashamed of yourself. NOW CHOKE YOURSELF!

Show this man respect, THIS I DEMAND OF YOU! Keep it up and you'll find yourself banned from this site if I have my way!

This is directed solely at you Marzyn! You **** with one Marine, you **** with us all! Remember that!
    wait i'm confused...doesn't it say on Marzyns profile icon that hes a PFC?....just an observation

another book...

Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell

i just got this book, but have not started it yet..however i heard it was great and there is a thread on this site about it...so go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby494
    Thats outstanding. I'm barely into the interview with Commandant Krulak but so far the books been full of alot of info and moto.
    It wasn't your typical med float. The day we crossed into the Med, all of our port calls were canceled and any new one's would be announced just prior to pulling into port. I spent just about the whole 6 months in and around the Adriatic Sea. It was still a good float and I got to visit some interesting countries.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Rifleman Dodd... forget who it's by, but I really liked it. I think I got it off the USMC reading list.

For anyone who's interested in helicopter aviation, I'm almost done reading Michael Durrant's/Steven Hartov's new book called "Night Stalkers", obviously about the Army's 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment. I don't care if it isn't about Marines, those guys have balls and their stories deserve to be read. Lest we forget.

Thread Information