Hope its not too late.
Create Post

Hope its not too late.

Alright, I know this is a REALLY bad time to start asking questions but I hope/pray in the short time I have I can get some help. I leave for Recruit Training in less then a month. I, being stupid and all, put off PT for the longest time. Knowledge wise, I would say I'm ahead of the curb and I know everything you should know before attending Recruit Training. My problem is physical shape. It's not HORRIABLE and I wont allow myself to be sent to one of the physical something platoons or be recycled. I have the motivation to push myself and do my best at everything.

For my main question, I am more of looking for opinions. My current physical standards for the PFT are Pull Ups: 6, Marine Corps Crunches: 75, and a 3 Mile in 26:00 minutes which would score me a 3rd Class. When do you take your PFT? My hope now is that I will be able to gain some strength while at Recruit Training and then come PFT time I will have gotten somewhat better. Any advice/comments/opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I don't think worry about it

Going to have to get that run time down .If you have the motivation your crunches and pull ups will get better in training .,But push yourself while your home and never ever fall out of a ran or even drop back on a run.By the way,
    26 min is or use to be the min on a 3mile run .Better fire that up .You don't want min. on anything. Good Luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC049
    Alright, I know this is a REALLY bad time to start asking questions but I hope/pray in the short time I have I can get some help. I leave for Recruit Training in less then a month. I, being stupid and all, put off PT for the longest time.

I wont allow myself to be sent to one of the physical something platoons or be recycled. I have the motivation to push myself and do my best at everything.
    I don't know how long you've ben in DEP, but you answered your own quesion! Being Stupid is a choice that you made whenever you DEP'd in. That wasn't the smartest thing you ever done.

I suggest you surf these threads and get a lot of your answers there. These type of questions are there and the answers also. Get off your ass, use the search engine, read, and go out and PT your ass off to get ready for Boot Camp! No one else can do it for you, not us, not your mama, not anyone! That's up to you! As far as PCP---well---fail the IST and you'll see about what you will do!

Use your Motivation to push yourself to train now, Poolee!

It's a good thing that you've come to this realization and want to do something about it. Less than a month is not a lot of time to work with, but you can definetly improve.

According to the MCRD Parris Island website, the first thing you do is the IST (Initial Strength Test). I think the PFT is on the 11th week, but don't hold me to that. You can go here for more info.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Crap MIKE,,,, my 3 mile was 16.5, FINALLY,,,,,,, . Don't sweat so much. But start sweating. Sprints and upper body, you got time... And good luck. A week of sprints can turn a chicken into a hawk. At your age.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    my 3 mile was 16.5
    You must be part freakin' gazelle! I'm glad it was only a 1 1/2 mile requirement for us and, even THEN, I couldn't do it faster than 14! I HATED that running crap!

Accord posted a good article on improving pull ups. Follow the instructions on itand you can be up to 10-12 before you ship. Your run time sucks, follow Sparkies advice. My advice is never give up, "When things look bad that's when you have to get mean, cause if you get don't you neither win nor live".
    Josie Wales, The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Concur with Marine

Concur with Marine 84, 16.5 is flying. My best ever was 18.0 and that was when I ran every nite after work and in shorts and tennis shoes.

just a heads up the 3 mile has to be 28 minutes or less

Alright, I've made time in my day, everyday, that I can dedicate to geting better. My last question would be which is better for dropping a run time, sprining, running long distance or a combo of the both? I've red some good articles on running today and I have some ideas to improve breathing and such. I'm ready to start training. Thanks for all the help.

get your breathing on a rythem so you dont even think ab out it.....and you want to get better at long distances but you also need to do the sprinting in there as well to push yourself pushing yourself is the only way youll get better

Thread Information