Vietnam Trivia - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Vietnam Trivia

Re: P-38 C-Rat Opener!

Originally posted by Gy7ras
    On that P-38, that was the part number designation for the C-rat Opener. It also had the company name of Shelby or Schaffer on it.

It was called a John Wayne when I went in in 69, though I remember when I was a DI in 1976 some of the recruits then were calling it a "Clint Eastwoods". A few years later MRE's came out and the old P-38 became a part of our history. Come to think of it, I also became part of that history. It's sad to think that the P-38 still gets mentioned, well at least my family knows who I am LOL.

Gy7ras
    Gunny,

I am sure you have always stood tall, and though I know not whom it is you are personally, I am sure that you were always the epitome of what a Marine should be to the young men and women that served under you. I know when things got tough for me, I would look over at the First Shirt, or the Gunny, and I saw that they were always in control of the situation. That helped more than you could know. Thanks Gunnery Sergeant!

I still carry my P38 today on my key chain along with one of my dog tags. The name on my P38 is U.S. Speaker. The Corps issued this to me in 1967.

There must of been a lot of companies cranking out those P-38's. It makes sense though that with as many of us jarheads that were being put through boot camp at the time and the other services as well, supply and demand must of been great!

Gy7ras

Thread Information