No More Crucible?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Blindside8162's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

No More Crucible?

According to a Senior Drill Instructor at Parris Island. The Crucible will be phased in in a period of "six to nine months" but told us not to worry about it because it doesn not apply to us. Is this true and if so what will it be replaced with? Any info would be helpful.

I am not sure what you mean by phased in, don't you mean Phased out?

Who was thies Senior Drill Instructor. You will learn quick not to believe a lot of the scuttlebut you hear. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Crucible get "X"ed out. I really don't beleive it is very effective. Well let me just say when I went through it, it needed a lot of improvements. But then again, that was when it first started.

If it does get phased out, I am sure they will put back more A-line training. At least I hope, and you will still be doing a lot of humping and playing in the mud.... GOD I LOVE THE CORPS.

I hope this helps Blindside.

SGT J

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't believe it till you see it. I was told the same thing by our Senior DI. Everything in the Marine Corps is like that you can be deployed that you are deploying in a week, next day your on a plane.

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    SgtJ, Blindside,
    I did not even know what a Crucible was when I was in boot back in 1985 and 86. I think the idea behind it is good, but it may need some tweaking. Not sure they would phase it out, though. Improve it, yes, phase out, no.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    In '76 we had 'Elliot's Beach' out at the old air field, at P.I. Night infiltration course was the 'jazz'

HIGH CRAWL
    LOW CRAWL
    BARBWIRE CRAWL

I think San Diego had slumber parties

But seriously, I always thought the crucible sounded like a final exam and field meet all in one.

Like the name tho... all melted together into a 'Band of Marines'

Terry

I still remember E Beach and the fun we had in Dec 76.

And I still remember Elliots Beach out on the old airstrip in '65. A night of severe thunderstorms, rain, hail, wind and the guy I tented up with getting a charlie horse, standing up there-by collapsing the tent and putting us out into the deluge.
    I'm thinking, by the way, that the word "tent" should not be used here. Is it Shelter half ??? My memory seems to fail me.
    E beach was supposed to be the last word in a sort of final preparation test for Marines in boot camp.
    Staging Battalion would be worse.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I meant phased out sorry. The Senior Drill Instructor I talked to was Senior Drill Instructor Smith. He said he is the series Gunny(or something to that effect) for 2nd Btn, MCRD PI. He told it to about 200 other poolees at our field meet last week so i think there might be some truth.

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    E beach, Crucible. All neccesary training. I would hope, after reading Blindsides last, that if it is true the Crucible is being phased out, that they put something to replace it.

Elliots Beach in 1955 !!! Getting thumpped for killing the D I 's sand fleas. Standing at attention for hours while you feed the fleas that you didn't kill. Never ever kill a D I 'ssand flea. OH ! The memories !!!

Our D.I.'s made us have funerals for any sand flea killed.
    We would have to get down on our knees (all of us no matter who swatted the flea), find it and have a proper burial.
    Those little boogers had a nasty bite for such small critters !!!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I vaguely remember wondering why the Drill Instructors all smelled the same. Skin-so-Soft!

Once I even tried scratching a few while we had our rain gear on. Once!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was there and it was series gunnery sgt smith with 2bn hotel and echo company and he said it would be phased out in 6 to 9 months but instead it will just be a few extra days of pt and fun in the sun (ha ha) and preparation for graduation

Credits
    Savings
    You probably heard more than me because he was facing the other way most of the time so i only caught some things.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    now blind dont you know that you were supposed to look at him the enitire time. give him fuul attention. ha ha ha. when do ou ship out?

Thread Information