this is pretty messed up
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Angry this is pretty messed up

one of the guys in my pool decided to confide in me that he no longer wants to be a Marine. i talked to him for about 2 hours but finally gave up because someone who doesnt have the heart to be a United States Marine doesnt belong there. he is suppose to ship next month, and the recruiter is all over him right now. i suspect he is afraid that this poolee isnt going. from what everyone has said you can get out before you land at mcrd... right? what does he have to do? and what the hell should i do? i dont want to aid him but ahhh i dont know. help me out here fellas.

My advice is to take care of your own business and not worry about this poolee's decision. It's not your job to get him to boot so let the recruiter worry about it. That's what he's getting paid for.

Registered User Free Member 2ndplacesucks's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    who gives a sh!! like you said if you don't have the heart you don't deserve to become a Marine.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Screw him! Tell him what a pu$$y he is, and tell him to get disharged because the Marine Corps doesn't need pussies that are to scared to go.

Tell him he is weak and worthless and to drop and give you 25!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All Outstanding advise, JMontilone that poolee dosent rate your concern.

Jim

Too the Poolee's

There was no need for that type of language.

JMontilone

You have been given sound advise by the Marines.....
    Your Focus should be on You Only.......

The Drifter's Wife

Do what you think is right. Afterall thats part of being a good Marine!! In our business if you hesitate others may die.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The advice you seek will most likely not be given. Marines hold to their commitments and we expect others to do the same. Telling a poolee how to get out going to bootcamp would not be the right thing to do.

Concentrate on your own well-being for now.

Lake0300
    Guest Free Member
    Hold up here guys. Nobody here ever had the shakes about joining the Corps? Nobody on these boards have ever doubted their decision to become a Marine? I know I have.

Questions like "Is this REALLY what I want?" and "Do I have the slightest clue what I'm getting into?!!" have definetly crossed my mind.. about everyday.

I agree with most of what everyone has said. "Concentrate on your own well-being"

BUT, its not gonna hurt you to take out an hour or two and sit down with this kid again. If you can, meet him somewhere. Ask him why he wanted to join in the first place. Find out whats made him change his mind, is he afraid of failure?

If you want to help him, thats up to you. My advice if you want to help him.. find out what first motivated him and rekindle that flame. If hes afraid, tell him everyone is afraid.

Would I help him? Only if I felt he was making a mistake. I see some Poolees at my meetings that I just dont feel are right for the Corps. Others I see have a level head in life, are motivated and well disciplined. If he falls into that "moron" category, then you should probably just let him go. But if you feel its worth it to try again and help him pull his head out of the gutter, then go for it.

-Lake

Originally posted by Lake0300
    BUT, its not gonna hurt you to take out an hour or two and sit down with this kid again. If you can, meet him somewhere. Ask him why he wanted to join in the first place. Find out whats made him change his mind, is he afraid of failure?
    -Lake
    Yes, it very well could hurt. You talk this guy into continuing down this road and he's in your fighting hole a year from now with rounds coming down range. All the sudden he decides he doesn't want to do this anymore.....Marines get killed. DO NOT try and talk someone that doesn't want to be a Marine into doing it because YOU want him to. It's his decision, do not try and influence it. Several Marines have given good advice, follow it.

One more thing there Lake. How about addressing the Marines on here as SIR, MA'AM, or their rank and not "guys", I think we have all earned it!. We aren't your drinking buddies..don't forget your a poolee. Once you become a Marine, then we can be drinking buddies.

To begin, I have a problem with talking anyone into enlisting. I understand exactly where Fade2Black is coming from. Yet, I also know that this isn't a perfect world and people do have to talk young men and women into enlisting in the Corps. That is why we have highly trained NCOs that often risk their very career by becoming a recruiter. It isn't easy to get people to raise their right hand-- and it isn't always easy to ensure that those people end up going to recruit training. While I personally wouldn't spend more than about ten seconds trying to talk someone into enlisting that did not want to, that does not mean it shouldn't be done. Once someone does enlist there will be changes in motivation levels, and possibly a fear of actually going to the Marine Corps boot camp that they have heard so much about. I don't see it being a problem is one poolee tries to talk another into enlisting, or honoring the enlistment he has already committed to. But, after spending two hours on a poolee I would assume they are a lost cause. Just get in touch with your recruiter and let him/her handle it from there on out. There is a reason the Marine Corps sends people to recruiters school... to learn to handle this exact situation. They are better equipped than a poolee is to deal with the situation, has the knowledge of the Marine Corps to use, and the ability to motivate someone as only a Marine NCO can.

On another note, I can't speak for anyone else here... but I work for a living. I am not a DI nor a Recruiter... never have been, never will be... so do us both a favor and don't call me sir. Corporal is more than sufficient.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You're not deciding which flavor snow cone you want, you are deciding a way of life. There was a thread earlier asking why did you join the Marine Corps. The thought came to my mind that most everyone probably joined to be a Marine.

You want college money, go somewhere else. Looking for something to do, join the Coast Guard. I say let him give up now than to give up later.

Marines are decisive.

You want to change your mind a hundred times like John Kerry, join the Navy.

Originally posted by fade2black

One more thing there Lake. How about addressing the Marines on here as SIR, MA'AM, or their rank and not "guys", I think we have all earned it!. We aren't your drinking buddies..don't forget your a poolee. Once you become a Marine, then we can be drinking buddies.
    With all due respect, Sergeant Fade2Black, if I am not mistaken, NCOs are called "sir" and "ma'am" only past First Sergeant and beyond. And also, since we are on a message board just leaving messages for eachother to read, and since this isn't an actual conversation, wouldnt it be "ok" to drop all the formalities?

Sorry if I sound disrespectful, if I do it is completely unintentional.

SuNmAN

And yes, Sergeant, I have not forgotten that I am a poolee and I hold you and all other Marines in the highest regard. I will do everything within my physical ability to one day earn the title as one of The Few, The Proud, The United States Marine.

Thread Information