New Here
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here

Credits
    Savings

New Here

Hows it goin everyone, i have been a member for a while but just recently got it to work and havent posted to much so i thought i should introduce myself. Mostly just been reading and getting more information, can't get enough of it. Anyway, my name is Tom Brinkman and i leave for basic at MCRD San Diego in Feb of 2005, goin infantry.

Not trying to be a hard a$$ here, just joking so take it that way ok?
    Marines don't go to basic, we go to BOOT CAMP! LOL

Anyway, welcome again.

Feb is a good time to go to MCRD San Diego. That's when I went , and at least it doesn't get QUITE as hot then.

Look around and feel free to ask whatever you like, but be carefull! Lot's of Marines on these boards take some of this stuff pretty darn serious, as they should

Registered User Free Member fulmetaljackass's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    lol....since we're on the subject of the weather...

I was in MRP in boot camp for a couple months, so boot camp coupled with MCT had me in sunny SoCal for a little longer than most not stationed (or nasty civilians) living there. I was there from November '95 thru May '96. The weather DOES NOT CHANGE. It will rain on you and make you cold and miserable when you go to the field, and it will blister you when you are on the parade deck conducting drill or the battalion commander's inspection.

Not that what I just said matters. I'm just reliving some good memories

How are you going to San Diego if you live in Indy? I thought anyone east of the Mississippi went to PI?

It also depends on where space is avaliable too, I had guys from New York in my platoon in San Diego.

easy there

HardJedi- I was taught the same thing by my DI's. Marines go to boot camp, soldiers go to basic training.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The author of that article is By Jim Garamone, American Forces Press Service.

Obviously, not a Marine who went to BOOT CAMP.

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/basic/#crucible

Basic training, Recruit Training, all means the same. I know the Marines call it Boot Camp, still you go through Basic Training, Recruit training at Boot camp. Now maybe some of you didn't have to go through Basic training or Recruit training at Boot Camp, to learn the Basic things to become a Marine. Then when I went to Parris Island Boot Camp, we went through Basic Training, Recruit Training. Call it what you want it's still all the same.

Marine Corps Recruit Training
    Although the smallest force among the Armed Services, the Marine Corps boasts the most thorough “boot camp” curriculum. Over the span of 12 weeks, a young person will be transformed into a fully capable Marine. Find out what it takes, including “The Crucible”—a final endurance test of teamwork that every recruit must pass before being rewarded with the title of Marine. Learn more about what to expect at the Official Marines Web site.

Recruit Training is conducted at one of the two Marine Corps Recruit Depots (MCRD). Training for all female recruits and male recruits from the eastern half of the country is conducted at MCRD Parris Island, S.C., while male recruits from the western portion of the country train at MCRD San Diego, CA.

Also referred to as "Boot Camp," Recruit Training is the 13-week process that transforms a young person with the courage to succeed into a mature, highly disciplined, and fully capable Marine. During this time Drill Instructors teach individuals how to care for themselves and others, function as a member of a team and to achieve success together. The Drill Instructor is responsible for ensuring recruits are fully prepared to meet the challenges of the battlefield by supplying the tools necessary to perform given tasks with efficiency, and the confidence to succeed in the face of adversity. Training includes first aid, water survival skills, marksmanship, tactics and other related topics. Training also focuses on customs, traditions and history that have made the Marine Corps respected around the world. For more information, you can hear testimonials about Marine experiences or review some frequently asked questions about Recruit Training.

Company, halt. Adrenaline, rush.

After successfully completing Recruit Training, including "The Crucible" — a final endurance test of teamwork – the recruit is transformed, both physically and mentally, into a vital part of a highly effective team. Then, and only then, is the recruit awarded the title of Marine.

ok ok GEEZ! LOL WEll, sorry, I just thought, that some we call things different, because we ARE different. Of course it's all pretty much the same.

But just suppose someone called you a soldier instead of a Marine? Superficially anyway, and to the uneducated, they are basically the same thing. But most Marines I know, get offended at being called a soldier

The last person that accused me of being a soldier is still in the hospital having my boot removed from their ass!

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Word of advice to the up and coming -

Call it "Basic Training" while you are at boot camp or in the fleet and expect all hell to break loose.

fade2black

The last person that accused me of being a soldier is still in the hospital having my boot removed from their ass!

Who was that, some 6 years old girl?

Heck lets just call it Boot Camp.

Re: fade2black

Originally posted by usmc4669
    [B]

Who was that, some 6 years old girl?
    That was a low blow Gunny

Thread Information