Three Silver Stars, Navy Cross awarded at Camp Pendleton
Create Post

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

CAMP PENDLETON ---- On April 12, 2003, Oceanside-based Marines entered Baghdad without the kind of heavy resistance they expected. But just north of the Iraqi capital, members of Golf Company's 1st Platoon were in for the fight of their lives.

Three of them were honored Monday at Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base for their bravery that day with some of the Navy's highest awards, including two Silver Stars and a Navy Cross. A fourth Marine, Gunnery Sgt. Jeffrey E. Bohr, Jr., was posthumously awarded a Silver Star for his actions in a separate battle.

Three of the Marines received their medals from the Secretary of the Navy, Gordon England. The award for Bohr, who died in combat, was given to his wife, Lori Bohr of Fallbrook.

"Their actions will inspire fellow Marines deployed around the world today," England said.

About 40 members of the 1st Platoon 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines headed out on a mission to secure a bridge at At Tarmiyah, an Iraqi town north of Baghdad. They were to clear the way and search for American prisoners of war.

It was about 9 a.m. in the morning when "all hell broke loose," Staff Sgt. Adam R. Sikes, of Aliso Viejo, recalled before the ceremony began. Sikes was leading 1st Platoon and received a Silver Star for his actions. He and his men were ambushed near the bridge.

Cpl. Timothy C. Tardif, of Huntington Beach, the platoon's second squad leader, saw one of the Iraqi soldiers across the road behind some tall grass. He charged across the road under intense fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades, according to Tardif's Silver Star citation, an explanation that accompanied the award.

A grenade exploded near Tardif while he was leading the charge, sending shrapnel into his right leg and chest. He continued fighting, moving more than 150 yards before collapsing from his wounds, according to his citation.

"I was the squad leader, and I didn't want to let my Marines down," he said about fighting on despite injuries to his leg, intense bleeding and three broken ribs.

Tardif inspired others to follow. Cpl. Marco A. Martinez, of Albuquerque, N.M., took control of the squad and led an assault on the area where the ambush had begun. He then took an enemy rocket-propelled grenade and launched it at a building where enemies were firing on his squad.

When the firing from the building stopped momentarily, Martinez entered the building alone and single-handedly killed four Iraqi soldiers with his rifle and a grenade. He received a Navy Cross for his actions.

"It was like something out of a movie, they were popping out of closets, from under beds," he said describing his ordeal. "On the (march) up there, I was thinking this is it, this is real."

Under Staff Sgt. Sikes' leadership, the 1st Platoon fought back the ambush. On top of a three-story building, Sikes directed mortar fire on other Iraqi areas. After learning of casualties nearby, Sikes helped evacuate the wounded. He received a Silver Star for his actions.

"Those guys are like my sons," Sikes said. "I would do anything for my guys."

About 100 family members, friends and veterans attended the hourlong ceremony at Camp Pendleton. Members of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines stood in formation while the medals were awarded.

One recipient was not there.

Gunnery Sgt. Bohr, of Ossian, Iowa, was killed April 10, 2003, while fighting in Iraq. He was a member of the Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment.

Bohr "delivered accurate, effective fire on the enemy while encouraging his Marines and supplying critical information to his company commander" during a mission to seize one of Saddam Hussein's presidential palaces in Baghdad, according to his Silver Star citation.

After hearing of an injured Marine, Bohr directed an evacuation effort. He fired at Iraqis soldiers to protect the evacuation effort until he was killed by Iraqi soldiers.

"He would have been very humbled" by the award, said Lori Bohr as she accepted the award. "He was a quiet person until he got to know you. Then, he'd let loose. He gave me a lot of himself, and we complemented each other."

Registered User Free Member BC22's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It's nice for these Marines to receive recognition for their bravery and dedication, but it still makes me angry that Lcpl. B Peixotto of 1st Tank Battalion has only received a Bronze Star with combat V (the same award given to Jessica Lynch) for his heroic actions that saved the life of his fellow crewmen and company commander. I haven't heard anything to suggest that he has been given a higher award for his courage.

BC22

It's nice for these Marines to receive recognition for their bravery and dedication, but it still makes me angry that Lcpl. B Peixotto of 1st Tank Battalion has only received a Bronze Star with combat V (the same award given to Jessica Lynch) for his heroic actions that saved the life of his fellow crewmen and company commander. I haven't heard anything to suggest that he has been given a higher award for his courage.

Jessica Lynch never should have receive an award. What in the H*ll did she do besides get captured and come home a Hero. What about the other Army soldiers who were taken captive at the same time, were they given the Bronze Star also? what about those poor basta*ds who came home in a flag drape box, I didn't see any parade for them. The Army and Air force were giving out awards like candy. The Marines don't do their jobs to get medals, they do what they are trained to do. Lcpl. B Peixotto did what he had to do, yes he should have received an award higher that Jessica Lynch, then like I said Lynch never should have received the Bronze Star.

Thread Information