Sleep.
Create Post

Thread: Sleep.

Sleep.

Whats sleep deprivation like in Parris Island? My history teacher was telling me how it was back in '88 but just wondering other opinions on it.

Registered User Free Member CPLRapoza's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Nothing like when you get out into the fleet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have time to think about it. Like the Corpral said, "Nothing like when you get out into the fleet" In other words the needs of the Marine Corps. Day crew stay crew. My advise is to do as your told when your told and the time will go by quicker than you think both at recruit training and in the fleet.

Goo luck...

You will get seven or eight hours nearly every night of boot camp. There are times when it isn't possible, but when you hit the rack and when you get up are well planned.

Saurian'sEdge
    Guest Free Member
    Originally posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    You will get seven or eight hours nearly every night of boot camp. There are times when it isn't possible, but when you hit the rack and when you get up are well planned.
    Mess and Maintenance week you get very little sleep. SOI on FTX you get very little sleep. FMF on FTX you get very little sleep. MOS school and garrison, usually a good time to catch up, just not on duty. Your body will get used to small amounts of sleep, with a crash afterwords. Don't worry about it, don't think about it, and just accept it.

Got more sleep in boot camp than in the fleet. During boot camp, i didnt think about it much - to much going on to worry about it. It's not like you'll never sleep, eventually you'll get enough to get you by. THey need you to be some what cognizant for your duties. Just a thought.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No matter how little sleep they give me, it cannot be worse than being an undergrad at UNC. Well... maybe in a combat zone.... but short of that....

Registered User Free Member arnoldyG/2/5's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm sure boot camp hasn't changed all that much since '94. After Taps our Drill Instructors would give us an index card of stuff that had better be done before reveille. As he said "the night time is the right time"

Good news as far as sleep goes. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that mess week no longer is part of boot camp. It's handled by civilian contracters now.

Would appreciate it if a new Marine confirmed this.

dep_baumy
    Guest Free Member
    Originally posted by lprkn
    Good news as far as sleep goes. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that mess week no longer is part of boot camp. It's handled by civilian contracters now.

Would appreciate it if a new Marine confirmed this.

Funny thing happened today, talking to my recruiter about cooks in the Marines and he mentioned that they were getting rid of them. Said the civilians were doing it now. So I guess that makes you right.

Heck when I went to boot camp

we weren't allowed to sleep. Boy, how things have changed.

LOL

"Heck, when Sparrowhawk went to boot camp..."

Uh Oh.. Sounds like a new thread.

Example: "uphill both ways to chow through three feet of sand fleas, etc."

Could have some fun with this...

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Its amazing watching Marines and thier sleep habits. You will learn the rucksack flop very quickly in the fleet. Marines can sleep anywhere at any time. Once while on an extremely tasking hump from NTA to Camp Hanson after an 8 day Training op. Every time the line would stop Marines would just flop out on thier packs and take a siesta in the middle of a monsoon. NCO's had to take turns watching the troops to keep thier heads faceing down or they might have drowned.

Registered User Free Member jfreas's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The first night in the rack you will lay there and think,"What the f@#K did I get myself into". As others have said, sleep will come sometime.

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sleep-Good thread.
    I remember some lack of sleep issues. I remember being so tired once that I fell asleep standing up talking to someone. I was talking to him, then all of a sudden I said something completely off subject. He asked me what I said. I asked him if I said such and such, repeating what I said. He told me I did. What such and such boiled down to was something that I said to someone entirely different in a dream I was having. But as the others have said, you pretty much get used to it. As for getting less sleep in the fleet, the only time I remember not getting enough sleep was when we were on a MCCRES getting ready to go overseas to Oki. 4 days in the field, lots of long humps, and it was my squads turn to sleep. We had dug in, first squad was out patrolling, second was on guard and mine was to sleep. about an hour in, we got "ambushed" and had to respond, then move our camp. Then by the time we got set up again, it was thirds turn for patrol. Then after 4 hours of patrol, we came back to do our stint at guard. Amazingly tough to comprehend what 25% security meant. This was all after about 4 hours sleap in three days. But I made it through. When not training, lack of sleep is your own doing.

Thread Information