Will you Fight? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will you Fight?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SSGT Seeley? I'm hurt! We're talking SgtMaj. Seeley . Now I can see that one someday. LOL.

Seriously though, I just had a talk with my NCOIC at my RSS and he finally found a 0300 spot for me! I get to go over there and fight! I know its not all glory and anyone who glorifies war is a moron. I don't want to die. But I also understand that if dying is something that I have to do, then so be it.

The Allmighty Father was graceful enough to provide me with this wonderful life and all the richness in it. He has every right to take it away from me if he wants to. And if he wants to take it away from me in a battle or a freak accident, then so be it. Death doesn't scare me. Surviving something that should have killed me DOES. For I know that when I leave this earth I shall walk through the gates of Heaven and St. Peter will let me in.

Besides...I've said this since I was about 10: I'd rather die on a battlefield in some faraway land for someone else's freedom even if they didn't appreciate it, just to give them that chance at the freedoms which I have been so lucky to enjoy all my life. (Modified a little from when I was 10, but same idea )

Seeley

Where's your initiative?!
    Sgt. Major isn't the end of the rank charts. If an enlisted man MUSTANGS, he becomes an officer, and can rise to the highest rank in the Corps, Commandant. You just have to have the gravel in your gut.
    Never ever shortchange yourself, young man! Go for the Gold!

FYI: Mustangers ARE the best Officers I've ever served under.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    namgrunt: Good point. My MI (who had to retire as a Gunny) was a Mustang. He gets his rank back after another two years for some weird reason. I guess it had something to do with when and where he could retire. I was thinking along the lines of Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps by the way namgrunt

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Fight for my country? Sure why not. Been there done that. Die for my country? I'd rather not. If it happens so be it. It is not the Marines purpose to die for thier country, I personally would rather let the enemy die for thiers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    leroy as my uncle 2ndLT. Ferguson with the 4th Marines in Quang Tri, KIA Tet 1968 and in his death letter home he wrote that he was always proud of his Marines kill count, but dredded his Marines casualty list.

Registered User Free Member Tom Clear's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As it is with most things in a Marines life you will find once you earn the title the reason you are serving is because it is an HONOR. You may find yourself on the front line after ITS (infantry training school, if thats what they still call it) or you may find yourself standing tall in your Dress Blues gurading a base, or Marching in a sunset parade wit hrifles that don't shoot and bayonets that don't stick. Or even in the Honor Guard doing a burial detail for a fallen brother (young or old) Whatever the case you will in true Marine Corp tradition do this with Pride and Honor. For serving in our Blessed Corps is nothing more and nothing less. Honor, Country Duty. And belive it or not some twenty years down the road while you are setting in a club somewhere talking about the old days someone will say to you. "You were a Marine?" and in true Marine Corps fashoin you will reply "Yes Sir I did!" Semper Fi Tom

Registered User Free Member cjwright90's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Nicely put, Tom Clear. Seeley, I meant in a few 6 years or whenever, you could be SSGT Seeley-no way was I limiting your rank advancement. I was just making the point that I hope to see you all here on Leatherneck down the road with chevrons by your name instead of the poolie sign. I think it is awesome the sense of duty to our country and our God that you already have. Otherwise you would not have signed up at all, for JROTC or reserves or regular fleet. There is a certain amount of pride that comes from joining the military. There is even more for joining the Marines. You and Lake and Ceasar and all the rest, Kelvin, all signed up and are willing to make the sacrifices needed to be made to become one of the worlds finest FIGHTING forces, the US Marines. So, before I run on again, I wish to give you and Lake and all the rest my respect.

namgrunt

USMC4669:
    Geez, Gunny. Were you really that young once??

I remember having the picture taken, it was just like yesterday

Re: Will you Fight?

HardJedi, namgrunt

Poolees listen to these two Marines, they have the common sense to check things out before mouthing off on a thread. Most of you are ready to go and that is good, a few still are wet behind the ears. As for me I try to write from the heart, I don't mean to put anyone down, maybe I act to much like a father or should I say a grandfather, when I read some of your post. Some of you will make fine Marines some won't, some of you will become Officers in the Marine Corps, some will make the Marine Corps a career, some will only serve one hitch. Life, or one hitch served with honor will make you a Marine, this you will carry the rest of your lives, no one can take this title away from you as long as you earned it. When you post your reply, think of what you are posting before you post it. Semper Fi Devil Pups.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Right on Seeley, I agree with you and support that post 110% That was a motivating post, and it got me even more pumped up about going over to fight.. And I'm glad you realize what you said about God's control over your life. Don't ever forget that. Remember, God, Country, Corps.
    Remember: Death Smiles at Everyone, Marines Smile Back!

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Some of us enjoy the enlisted side too much to ever want to be an officer. I'd much rather be Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps than Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Depends on what you like to do:

Take care of the organization, or take care of the people in the organization. Each one is just as important as the other -

Realistically though , I'll have to stay Sergeant of Marines

namgrunt

Mustangers ARE the best Officers I've ever served under.

And some were pure a**holes.

enviro

Some of us enjoy the enlisted side too much to ever want to be an officer. I'd much rather be Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps than Commandant of the Marine Corps.
    Then I take it that you are not a leader, you would rather follow than lead, don't want to make the big decisions.

Re: enviro

Originally posted by usmc4669
    [B]

Then I take it that you are not a leader, you would rather follow than lead, don't want to make the big decisions.
    So you are saying that the Sgt Major of the Marine Corp is NOT a leader? I beg to differ with ya on that one.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    SGTMAJMC is a leader the last time I checked.

I'm confused by the question at hand. Marines are taught leadership from day one. They range from PVT to GEN.

My statement clearly identifies myself as wanting to stay as an enlisted leader of Marines. The abscence of a desire to become an officer should in no way dictate a Marine's leadership capabilities.

The list of examples would just be too much for this forum to ever hold.

Thread Information