What should i'm in alot of pain doing pt, and i feel like i can't go any longer?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What should i'm in alot of pain doing pt, and i feel like i can't go any longer?

could you give me some advice on how i can make it through a hard pt session. For example if were doing push-ups, and my muscles ache and I feel that I can't go on.

"Pain is temporary, pride is forever."

yeah,but I would like to hear some advice from Marines on what they did.

keep going, quit is no longer going to be in your vocabulary........................................ ..........................

Registered User Free Member 1recon's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Remember pain is weakness leaving the body. Fight through the pain and it will get easier with time. If you quit you will never get any further than you are now. Don't focus on how much longer you have to go, that makes it feel wors. focus on something totally different. Try to pretend people are watching you and if you quit you will look really really bad. This helps me alot. I know you said you wanted advice from Marines, but I thought this also might help. Also just stay motivated.

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You need to know the difference between soreness, fatigue, and true pain. Being sore and fatigued is good. True pain is a different story. Pain means that something is wrong and you need to chill out. I am not giving you a license to be a lazy-ass here. I'm telling you to learn your body and what its telling you. If you are just sore, keep going. If you are experiencing sharp intense pain, slow down.

KELVIN,
    IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU CAN'T SUCK IT UP NOW.....PLEASE DO NOT GO TO RECRUIT TRAINING. OUR MARINES IN IRAQ ARE LIVING SORENESS, FATIGUE , PAIN AND DEATH .THEY DESERVE BETTER MIND STRENGTH FROM A MARINE NEXT TO THEM IN TIGHT SITUATIONS. PAIN FROM PUSH UPS OR PT BEFORE BOOT.....IS A RED FLAG.
    BUT IF YOUR DESIRE IS TO BE THE BEST AND TO SERVE WITH THE BEST. FOCUS YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHY YOU CHOSE THE CORPS INSTEAD OF THE OTHER MILITARY OPTIONS. THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU A POINT OF FOCUS

Kelvin,

Make sure you are streching your muscles before and after your workouts, and when ever you have a chance. Keep pushing your pain level, you should see improve. You may want to check with a certified physical trainer to see how you are doing your exercises and streching.

Another thing to watch is what you are eating. Some foods can help your muscles while other may be hurting your muscles and therefore giving you pain.

But, there will also be alot of time your just going have to "suck it up". Good Luck

Bill

Registered User Free Member arnoldyG/2/5's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There is a difference between the pain of physical activity and something being wrong with your body. Your body will endure much more than you think it will but you have to be mentally strong to withstand the pain. In preparation for Boot Camp and being a Marine you need to continually push yourself beyond your perceived limits. How you motivate yourself to do that is up to you but keep this in mind, your life as well as the lives of your fellow Marines depend on you and that should be motivation enough regardless of the pain.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. It wil help me get through boot camp. I understand that you have to be strong in a situation like the Marines in Iraq are. So I will just have to suck it up like some of you say.

did my time in the infantry. I did my time in the Corps. There was never a day without SOME kinda pain in there for me. There are all those cute little sayings, like"pain is tepmorary, pride is forever" and "pain is weakness leaving the body". Those are things designed to motivate someone. And if you need that kind of EXTERNAL motivation, then fine.

Look, I was the worlds WORST PFT'er before I went to boot camp. I could BARELY make the 1 1/2 mile run without collapsing, could only do maybe 5 pull ups on a good day. I COULD do a crap load of sit ups, but that was it. There were SOOO many times that I thought I could not possibly take another step, and that my arms couldn't possibly support my wieght for one more second. But you know what? As much as I hurt, and as hard as it was to breathe at times, what kept me going? I am TERRIFIED of failure. Whenever I thought about quitting anything, I thought to myself " how would this look? How would I ever face my family or friends again, knowing that I just GAVE up, cause I hurt?"

We ALL have our limitations. There are people who could outrun me going BACKWARDS for god's sake, that could NEVER keep up with me on a hump. So, who was stronger? Who was the better Marine? I sure have no answer to that. All the advice I can give you is the same as I have given several other potential Marines, and the same as my Senior DI gave to me. Never stop trying. If you fail to do something, if you are just physically incapable of doing something, whatever you do, just do NOT stop trying. Keep pushing. Not everyone In the Marine Corps can run an 18 minute 3 mile. Not everyone qualifies as an expert Rifleman. Not everyone can walk at 4-5miles an hour for 40 miles with 50 pounds of gear strapped to their back. But the ones who make it, the ones who have everyones respect? Those are the guys who never gave up, and neer stopped trying, no matter what.

A couple of true stories for you.
    Final PFT in Bootcamp. I did my 80 sit ups. I finally for the first time ever got my 20 pull ups ( my previous high to that point was 12) Then came the run. I went as fast as I could starting out. A BIG mistake. after turning the corner, and heading back, I had about a mile left to go, and I thought CRAP I am never even gonna finish, I started too fast. I couldn't breath, my side hurt, my legs felt like rubber, and i thought about walking for a minute, just to ease up. But I got mad at myself for that thought and kept going. Once the finish line came into site, I sprinted with everything i had that last 1/4 mile or so, and when i crossed that finish line I threw up, and passed out. Know what? I finished in 1820, best time ever had been 2000 flat before that. And no one made fun of me. Matter of fact, My Senior DI stood my up and used me as an example, he said "SEE? now THAT is giving it your ALL! THAT is pushing yourself!"

Second true story? I'll make this short.
    SOI. In the middle of our 20 mile Grad Hump, I tripped and fell, and my whole leg felt like it was on fire. But I got up and went on. Finished the hump, and sat down and YELLED for a doc. They put my on a stretcher, went to the hospital. Got x-ray's. Had 13 stress fractures in my lower leg.

It is not all about what you can do physically. Being a Marine is about HEART and DESIRE.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's Marines like HardJedi that make me proud that I joined the Marine Corps.

Saurian'sEdge
    Guest Free Member
    When ya feel your legs shaking and arms trembling and yer gut is going to explode, that's good pain. Now if ya feel a pain that feels like you just ****ed on an electric fence, thats bad pain. Sharp pain, intense, electric like pain is a no-no. Trembling, shakeing, feel like ya did yer girlfriend REALLY good, now that's good pain. Can ya tell the difference?

Thanks for the kind words , Eric, but there are many other Marines who have done things that wore much harder. Heck, I have done things that were harder. but Like I said, thanks.

Registered User Free Member naclyknine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I just imagined myself going home as a freakin' non-hacker. I would have rather died than face my friends and family and have to tell them that I was not Marine material. Don't imagine yourself failing. Visualize yourself making it through. Once you put on that EGA, are you going to tell one of your fellow Marines that you would like to save his life but, gosh, I'm just too tired and my muscles are all achy? Your body will do what your mind tells it. Your mind will do what your Drill Instructor tells it. Get some!

Thread Information