04-19-2004

Illusions at Home, Combat Realities Abroad

By Ralf W. Zimmermann

One year after our Blitzkrieg victory in Iraq, it’s time to reflect on the realities confronting our troops. It now seems, the war is far from over – maybe it has just begun in earnest, with many troops extended on combat duty and others alerted to return.

With that situation confronting us all, I was appalled to read a recent commentary on the situation in Iraq by Colorado Sen. Wayne Allard, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee. In an interview with the Colorado Springs Gazette, he demonstrated that he hadn’t lost any of his well-known political naiveté. Allard was absolutely convinced that the recent uprisings against the occupation forces were merely the work of a few thugs and that it would soon be all over. Allard furthermore insisted that US troop morale was sky-high, even after the Army announced that the 1st Armored Division and the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment would longer in Iraq.

Who is he kidding?

Then the Senator “glowingly” elaborated on his recent visits to Mosul and Balad, and especially praised the corrupt Halliburton gang for doing a splendid job in feeding our grunts: “They have four main courses. Then they had fast foods – hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, and they had desserts. Everyone was happy and had high morale,” Allard insisted. Yes, the Iraqis loved us being in charge.

Look, I’m a non-political ex-grunt and I don’t deny that our troops are doing the damn best to make candy out of crap in Iraq. I talk to them all the time. Yes, schools are being rebuilt and in many ways life is becoming more normal for Iraqis.

Still, Allard and many of the political cheerleaders of war have no clue what tough conditions the Army grunts and brave Marines are really experiencing in beautiful Iraq. Too often, our politicians fall victim to the head-table syndrome and only associate with handpicked troopers who are well-rehearsed in sweet-talking VIP visitors.

Had Allard talked to the troops in the muck and on patrol, the story could sound different. The job out in the red-zone remains tough and dangerous. Cities are like jungles – three-dimensional battlefields. Inside, bad people, many not identifiable with uniforms, are trying to kill you in any way possible. GI Joe and Jane must return fire, often causing civilian casualties, further increasing the hatred of the locals.

Even with shoddy intelligence, we should know by now that the resistance movement is growing and it’s organized. Each operating cell has its own weapons cache. Operational orders are issued in decentralized fashion.

When interviewed by a western reporter a few months ago, one group leader gave the guerilla strength as around 100,000 human bombers. He quoted weapon supplies as including seven million Kalashnikovs, two million hand grenades and about 80,000-100,000 rocket-propelled grenades. Many of the fighters are former Fedajeen Saddam who’ve learned their lessons – not to play open warfare against America’s high-tech killing systems. They appreciate the city jungle where their AK rifles, the homemade bomb and the RPG are miraculous equalizers.

And does the population love us as Allard stated?

I don’t buy it! I just came across a report by another European journalist who has followed several American patrols through Baghdad. One patrol led by a young sergeant was greeted in a downtown bar by many happy Iraqis. The Iraqis offered the troops gratuitous alcoholic drinks, which they happily accepted. The Americans felt good to be loved. But as soon as the troops left the place, the bar crew threw the Americans’ shot glasses against the walls, rendered the one finger victory salute and swore to kill more Americans during the night.

That’s the reality of guerilla war and we must come to grips with it. The Iraq War ain’t over – the recent religiously motivated uprisings and the continuous road bombings demonstrate it. This is a war that will take time and is best judged by those in the frontlines, not by politicians enjoying four-course Halliburton meals.

Nonetheless, as the Iraq War drags on, Americans must continue to do right by our grunts, the ones paying the price in precious life, blood and devastating injuries. Please make their homecomings honorable and heartfelt, not superficial sales gigs – especially since many of those troops might be sent back to the kill zone again.

And while on the subject of Sen. Allard, who is determined to save the $300-million-a-copy F/A-22 air-to-air fighter, I’d gladly sacrifice that piece of pork to better fund all agencies dedicated to helping our injured vets and their families. That’s truly giving hope and care to fellow Americans.

DefenseWatch Senior Military Correspondent Lt. Col. Ralf W. Zimmermann, USA (Ret.) is a decorated Desert Storm veteran and former tank battalion commander. His recent novel, “Brotherhood of Iron,” deals with the German soldier in World War II. It is directly available from www.iUniverse.com and through most major book dealers. Zimm can be reached at r6zimm@earthlink.net or via his website at www.home.earthlink.net/~r6zimm. © 2004 LandserUSA. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/c....6187362644449

Ellie