Clothing crackdown Camp Lejeune leaders want Marines to ‘dress right’ in civvies, cam - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am stationed at New River (next to Camp Lejeune) and I can tell you that I am constantly correcting Marines about wearing uniforms off base. I have even caught a Gunny buying beer at a gas station, in a flight suit, at 1000 on a work day! When I confronted him on it, his attitude was "Screw it, what are you going to do about it." Needless to say I lost it! Upon contacting his command, which I had been a member of earlier, his Maintenance Chief said that it was authorized. Flight suits are not authorized to stop anywhere in town, unless a bonifide emergency. It is a daily occurance, and not with just the air wing types. Even saw a young Marine going into one of the "gentlemen's clubs" in cammies. I was stuck at a red light and couldn't get to him. Fortunately for him he came back out and left before the light turned green! My biggest problem with all of this is that SNCO's are the biggest problem; they both violate and refuse to enforce the rules!
    Everyone you talk to about this just shake their heads and mutter that there is nothing we can do. I think that both bases should start up roving MP patrols that ride in town and snatch any Marine that is violating the rules! The bases have tried to solve the gas problem by installing credit card pumps on base. This has not worked either.
    The only way that this will get solved is for the SNCO's to correct every Marine that they see out in town. But they are all to busy trying to get home since it's almost 1630 and they have been at work for 7 hours.
    We pride ourselves on our customs and traditions, but they are surely going the way of C-rats and "John Waynes". (All you youngsters will have to figure out what a "John Wayne" is!)

Another memory just came back...during my last duty station, Cherry Point 1991-1992 the base CG did authorize wearing the uniform of the day during business hours pretty much anywhere (restaurants, businesses, etc) but it only applied to Havelock and nowhere else (i.e. you couldn't go shopping in the New Bern mall during lunch in cammies). I think that this came around as part of CMC's higher quality of living programs, such as beer in the barracks in "reasonable" amounts, and you had to be of legal age.

Registered User Free Member arnoldyG/2/5's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    JAMarine

Very commendable how you handled your son. I have been out of the Corps for almost six years but still have many friends that are still in and constantly b**ch about the attitudes (especially young Marines) regarding regulations and personal appearance. Your son responded very well to your advice, however, that speaks more about the respect he has for you, not the attitudes of young Marines serving today. I am not saying that every Marine is a sh**bag, but regulations need to be more strictly enforced. Being a Marine is 24/7 365 days a year and every Marine should remember that he is a representative of the Corps to the civilian world.

Thread Information