Desertion!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desertion!

Desertion!

Sadly I read the story of the reservist who turned himself in at San Jose.
    He claims he objects to killing people and that's why he would not go to Iraq with the other fine Marines who proudly serve.
    What does this guy use to think with?
    Being a Marine is more than wearing a uniform and telling people you've made it thru the toughest training in the world.
    Being a Marine is pride and the honor of wearing that uniform and doing you duty. And, to follow in the footsteps of other Marines who have served and given the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedoms.
    If this is the way he thinks maybe he should not have joined the military at all. The military in general and the Marines in peticular are there to defend this country with whatever it takes. Especially since today we have and all volunteer force. Not to volunteer when and if you feel like going.
    I was not a drafty during Vietnam I joined knowing full well Iwould most likely be sent to the land of the ****ed off people. But I had no delusions that I would not have to take a life.
    Someone like this brings nothing but dishonor on the Corps and to the memoir of the fine men who have gone before. And to the heros I served with in vietnam, SEMPER FI!

Call me Hard Corps or call me Old Corps but this kid needs some Brig time and a dishonorable discharge

Big Chicken Dinner>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!

Registered User Free Member stalkmaster's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Brig time and a DD but first send him to Iraq to build a school or
    something he is such a humanatarian... LOL

Desertion!

ridingcrops

Sadly I read the story of the reservist who turned himself in at San Jose. He claims he objects to killing people

We all know the real reason that he didn't want to go to Iraq. He was afraid that he would not return home to his mommy, if you took his shirt off you would find a yellow stripe down his back. When he enlisted he knew if we went to war he would more than likely have to go into combat with the chance of getting shot and even killed. Yes a Dishonorable discharge and time in a Military Prison.

Attached Images Attached Images

If I'm correct this was a L/CPl, who also claimed to be gay.

He now joined by this Florida National Guard Staff Sergeant.
    This reservist has gotten national media coverage.
    I wonder what must be going through many serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    All of sudden, we have a mass rush to seeking CO status, with the help of many that opposed the war in Vietnam.
    Now, they go by a different name...as not in our name...
    They sleep with no fear because someone is standing a post here and all over the world in their name...
    What a bunch of Alpha, Serria, Serria, Hotel, Oscar, Tango, Echo, Lima, Serria...

"A man or woman is measured
    by the footprint,
    he or she leaves behind"

"They were the best you had, America,
    and you turned your back on them".
    ~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

“Marines have always been physically and mentally tough.
    We must keep squarely in our sights,
    the fact that toughness can be decisive in combat.”
    ~ General Charles C. Krulak ~
    31st Commandment of the Marine Corps

TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
    THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
    I AM A MARINE

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Did I get the spelling correct? LOL
    The National Guardsman in Florida, SSgt Mejia hasn't been in the local news lately.
    Gary(osotogary)

Might not be on the local news lately, but he is all over the web.
    He views are taken by many seeking our departure from Iraq.
    This too might come under "giving aid and comfort to the enemy".
    He reminds me of the village idiot. who called a radio station seeking some support to get his brother out of the service.
    Because "he signed up to go college, not to go war."
    Many take those commericals for what they say or promise a free or paid college education after completing what they signed for.
    That why there is a mass rush to get CO status.
    I wish all the CO's seekers would go to Afghanistan or Iraq, and let some of those fools take a pot shot at them....

"A man or woman is measured
    by the footprint,
    he or she leaves behind"

"They were the best you had, America,
    and you turned your back on them".
    ~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans

“Marines have always been physically and mentally tough.
    We must keep squarely in our sights,
    the fact that toughness can be decisive in combat.”
    ~ General Charles C. Krulak ~
    31st Commandment of the Marine Corps

TO THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
    THAT OTHERS MAY SAY PROUDLY
    I AM A MARINE

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/lo...rticleid=63109

A soldier no more
    By Sarah MacDonald / News Staff Writer
    Tuesday, March 16, 2004

SHERBORN -- Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia did not wake up one day and decide to desert the Army. It was not in the terror of an ambush or the horror of a firefight that the thought occurred to him.

"Over there, your main concern is staying alive," said Mejia, who, in October, refused to go back to Iraq with the rest of his unit. "It's only when you come home and begin to look for justifications for the war that you realize war is evil."

Mejia, 28, a member of the Florida National Guard's 124th Infantry Battalion, turned himself in to face charges of desertion at Hanscom Air Force Base yesterday. Accompanied by his lawyer, Mejia surrendered after 1 p.m. at the base's gate to two military police officers, who drove him away.

A crowd of peace activists cheered Mejia and shouted encouragement: "We love you." "Be strong." "Go with God."

Mejia was later released and followed orders to return home. He said he would turn himself in to his Florida National Guard unit this morning.

Earlier yesterday and surrounded by his family, Mejia spoke with the media at the Peace Abbey in Sherborn, where he signed a 55-page document asking to be discharged as a conscientious objector.

"We were all lied to when we were told we were looking for weapons of mass destruction or we were going to fight terrorism," said Mejia, who was born in Nicaragua and grew up in Miami. "This is a war motivated by oil and money."

Mejia served three years of active duty in the U.S. Army before joining the Florida National Guard.

"I wanted to become a part of this nation," he said. "The military is at the very heart of this country."

He joined the Guard while attending the University of Miami and served for five years before being called to Iraq last March. His unit returned home on a 14-day leave Oct. 1, and Mejia did not report for duty as required Oct. 16.

"I have been an instrument of violence. Now I have decided to be an instrument of peace," he said.

Mejia gave his press conference at the Peace Abbey yesterday in part because its staff helped him locate a lawyer.

The Chicago Tribune reported Mejia's commanders called him a poor soldier who "lost his nerve." Mejia said he held no ill feelings about any of his fellow soldiers.

"I did my job as a soldier," he said. "They have every right to disagree with me. I am making a very personal decision."

Mejia's father, Carlos Mejia Godoy, made the trip from Nicaragua to support his son.

"I am proud of having a son who has such humane, intelligent and spiritual qualities," he said in Spanish, translated by his son.

Louis Font, Mejia's civilian defense attorney, said his client faces possible judicial action by the Army, which could lead to prison time. Font said there was a "strong possibility" Mejia could face a trial by court-martial on charges of desertion.

The Army could also choose to handle the matter administratively, discharging Mejia as a conscientious objector. A conscientious objector is defined as anyone who opposes war for any reason, Font said. He said Mejia has never received official notification that he was considered absent without leave, or AWOL.

Font said there are reports of 600 soldiers across the country who have refused to return for duty after a leave, but Mejia is the first to surrender.

Tod Ensign of Citizen Soldier -- a grass-roots group of active, retired and reserve defense professionals with Christian philosophies -- said Mejia would act as a "test case of the policies of the Iraq war."

Mejia said he decided to surrender because he was sick of living like a criminal, hiding out in New York for the last five months, scared of being arrested.

"I have not committed a crime, and I should not run. I will face my responsibilities," he said. "At least I know I have made the right decision, and that God has forgiven me already."

My note;
    I sorry Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, you did commit a crime or crimes under the UCMJ being AWOL possibly Desertion, missing movement, if all else fails ther Article 134 to deal with.

Then this pops out at you;
    "There sre reports of 600 soldiers across the country who have refused to return for duty after a leave."
    What in hades is going on?
    I knew someone at some point in time would bring up the policies of the Iraq War or our grounds for waging war in Iraq.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

I wanted to say;
    I knew someone at some point in time would bring up the policies of the Iraq War or our grounds for waging war in Iraq as a defend to some charges.
    As Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, is now doing.
    Also might a charge of cowardice in face of the enemy be charged against Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia?

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

"We were all lied to when we were told we were looking for weapons of mass destruction or we were going to fight terrorism," said Mejia, who was born in Nicaragua and grew up in Miami. "This is a war motivated by oil and money."
    Mejia served three years of active duty in the U.S. Army before joining the Florida National Guard. Mejia's father, Carlos Mejia Godoy, made the trip from Nicaragua to support his son.

What they should do with Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, take away his American citizenship and deport him back to Nicaragua after he serves a prison term for his actions.

Registered User Free Member 25snakeman02's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    USMC4669, You are on the right Track. First, give him some jail time with the Prison Rats (they would like to have a "Girlfriend like scumbucket), say 3-5 years. DD, then revoke his citzenship and ship his A__ back to where he came from. My guess, He got here illegally anyway. One last thing, make him pay for his education and the National Guard before being deported.

Snakeman out

While out at K-Bay we got wind of a deserter that was hiding out in Honalulu, turns out he jumped ship out of the Corps in 91' ..this was 98' when we found him..... He was living on the beach as a bum for seven years! Turns out he didn't like the 1st gulf war, what a waste of a human being....

1 deserter...1 bullet...end of discussion......

deport his butt if he doesnt like it here, or as super dave says!!

Thread Information