After your four years!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After your four years!!!

I was wondering after I do my fours years and get my honorable discharge, say a war breaks out the next day or the next month, year etc... is there a chance I can be called back in to go fight this war, or is my time done???
    Thanks for the help!

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    you still have four years of reserve duty to do.

So if there is a need for you, you may be called up.

I never heard of you having to do 4 years of reserve after your initial 4 year term, are you sure about that???

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    First observation;

Why are you ALREADY saying you served 4 years ?? You may do more, or less. Maybe an Honorable, maybe not. You're jumping to conclusions.

Second observation;

Active duty is NOT all of the contract (4 years) there is INactive to serve out, and YES, if the Corps needs you, it WILL use you. Your Recruiter should have already answered that for you.

Third observation;

If your Country needed you, AND you are a Marine, why would you wait to be called back ??

Credits
    Savings
    I would say 99% positive...

My contract has me for 4 years active, 4 years reserve... I believe the first enlistment is 8 total years...

HOwever if you re-enlist and serve another 4 year term, you do not have any reserve time, until you hit 20 years of service, then after that you have 10 years of reserve duty.

You may want to verify with your recruiter, but I'd stake a claim to this.

it is mu understanding that ALL contracts are for 8 years. whatever active you spend, then the balance as inactive reserve. Your time in the poolee program counts as part of that inactive reserve tiome, because unless i am mistaken, once you sign up, your shi[p date is subject to change. If they need you NOW, i am pretty sure they can have you SHIP now. Not 100 % on that part, but I am about the inactive time. Further, my recruitwer never told me about no stinking inactive reserve time. But oh well, i did my time proudly, and was never called back

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Your time in DEP counts as some of the inactive time. Its not reserves mind you its inactive duty, I heard a story that for Iraq some of the born to fight DEP'ers got called in for light jobs, Atleast that is how it sounded to me when my recruiter was telling me about the DEP program.

Pel

4 yrs active one of which is spent overseas.

4yrs in active duty

During those 4 yrs you will report into your nearest duty station to be given a sales pitch a chance to update your info. and collect travel expense as well as a paycheck for your time.

Once you have signed paper work and are in the "Delayed Entry Program" (DEP) that time waiting to go to boot camp will count towards your DEP.

If while on your in-active time the Marine Corps has need of your training and experience you are subject to re-call.

You are required while on in-active status to keep all of your uniform issue and keep it servicable.

Let me tell you something I wanted to go back into the Corps so bad because my Brothers were doing my job, a job I trained for and IF when you graduate boot camp and you understand what it is to be a Marine there will be no question about going back in.

You will be at your recruiters office or calling MARFORRES (Marine Forces Reserve your command element once you are in-active)and asking to go back in.

Semper Fi!

And if you doubt what I am telling you bounce this off of CAS3 she is still in and works for a command element for the Marines and will be able to tell you what I told you.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I enlisted in 1983, EASed in 88. Desert Storm broke out in 90' I got to go to the party. If the Corps needs your services they WILL let you know. I tried to go to the latest party also, but the need for a 40 year old corporal was not there.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Look on your contract, it says, you have an 8 year obligation, 4 years active, 4 years Individual Ready Reserves.

Leroy8541, I was in the same situation as you eas in 88 then recalled for the Storm. Only had 6 months left on that 8 year contract too.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Devildog1010

No harm or malice intended.

Your recruiter SHOULD have filled in all of those gaps for you, but... sometimes I group them in with used car salesmen.

He/She should still be your first contact. If you get NO results, or want a second opinion, I know we have that ability in this site... maybe more than you want.

Same goes for returning to duty, your recruiter should have that answer IF asked. I would have gone back in, if needed, in my prime.

Today, I'm attached to the 1stCivDiv, inactive status, incognito.

But still ready to take charge of my post, and all within view. The Country needs guarding from INSIDE, too.

Terry

The contract I signed had an expiration date...

Well said, thats alot mrbsox.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Devildog1010,

The recruiter probably did tell you about the 8 total years, if that was not revealed or you aren't sure you had better ask. It is you duty to understand what you are doing to take care of any misunderstandings. A recruiter has nothing to gain by not reavealing the details, actually he/she will lose and not gain a thing. Stop loss happens as mentioned by two Marines in the thread. You are going on unforseen conclusions about you "Honorable Discharge" do not assume that will happen that way. This all depends on you of cource, you are responsible for your destiny and nobody else. Just do the four years sure that is a relatively short period of time in your life compaired to your entire life. Make the best of it...!!! If you don't want to be a Marine then don't join. It seems from what you are asking is whats in it for me...!!! Don't look at this way it will be your undoing.

Just some GySgt advise

Credits
    Savings
    I am contracted to 4 yrs active 4 reserve.

Thread Information