Possible?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible?

Possible?

If I go to boot camp with a reserve infantry contract, is it possible to switch it to active duty infantry while I am at boot camp? Just wondering if this is possible or not and how I would go about doing it. Thanks.

i'm PRETTY sure you have to wait untill you get to your reserve unit before you can apply to go active duty. NOT 100% sure, but pretty sure.

Originally posted by HardJedi
    i'm PRETTY sure you have to wait untill you get to your reserve unit before you can apply to go active duty. NOT 100% sure, but pretty sure.
    Bridging off of this question, Is it possible to change a Reserve contract to active duty after sigining your initial Reserve contract and being in DEP but have not left for boot yet?
    ---Jon

Registered User Free Member jdfairman's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I would advise you to do it now if it is possible. Switching to active is not as easy as it once was. We had devil dogs at MCT trying to switch to active. Out of 10 of them, 2 got to switch.
    That was 5 years ago. Maybe things have changed. If anybody can do it, it would be somewhere in the Recruiting District's chain of command. Hit them up first.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Augmenting from Reserves to Active is a biotch, especially for Infantry Mos's, if you think you want to go active better do it now.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My enlistment papers say that i'm in reserve...so when i goto boot camp will i goto active duty?

devildog, if your papers say reserve then that is what you are. It isn't difficult to figure that one out. And to anyone reading this, IT IS NOT EASY TO MAKE THE SWITCH. I have seen several people try and be denied. The reserve unit is counting on you being there. They need you and have been told you are coming. Even when you are in the unit it isn't easy. To be granted permission to switch to active you will have to be an OUTSTANDING Marine. Guess what.... the reserve unit will not want to see a great Marine leave. You may well have to wait until your enlistment is up. And even at that, there is no promise that you will be given the same MOS or that there will be a space open for you. If you think you want to be active, do it NOW. If you decide you don't like it, suck it up and do your four years. It isn't that long, and you will manage to make it through somehow.

Credits
    Savings
    well my old recruiter...yeah i said old there was a big mis-hap...don't wanna go into it...but he said that once i left for boot camp that i would go active then there after i would be on active duty...

HINT: Recruiters, at times, are less than correct about things. If your contract says you are a reservist, then..... YOU ARE A RESERVIST. If you have something saying you are in the IRR NOW, then that is correct in a way. The time you spend in DEP counts for the IRR time you do at the end of your enlistment. You need to check into it before you leave and get stuck with something you don't want.

Wink

Shark6485, You better get the active duty status NOW, I called a friend who is a recruiter last night and the word GET IT DONE NOW! Won't happen at or after Boot Camp. Hard to change as you have been told by some of the member above. charlie222 out.

Yes... DO it now... but remember if they even have a space for AD it may be longer down the road from now. especially depending on what your mos is. I'd get it done now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    shark6485,

I agree with jdfairman. Do it now.

Echo_Four_Bravo,

When were you on recruiting duty? A recruiter followes not an SOP but Marine Corps Orders that cannot be changed, and also what is called an MPPM, (the bible of standards so to speak). I am sure that you understand this, orders? I do not mean to be little you, maybe you had a bad experience with your recuiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Affirmative Shark6485. Do it now before you ship. After you ship it will be pretty difficult but possible. Was a recruiter for a while.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gunny Franco,

Same here Gunns.

Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings
    Alright thanks for all the help guys...

Thread Information