Reflections of an old man
Create Post

Cool Reflections of an old man

This morning while lying in bed half-awake, half-dreaming, reflecting back to men that I have known as Marines.
    I tend to mix everything up.
    I remember a small man, known only to me as Tony at the fitness center, who once played the Marine Corps Hymn on a tiny harmonica.
    That got to thinking of all the Marines that I knew through serving in the ranks or those I got to know through the web, some I got to know in person after knowing them on the web.
    In my little office/den there several items, a plaque from the Vietnam Moving Wall, than three etchings of names of Recon Marines that I served with in Bravo Company 3rd Recon;
    1st. Lt. Frank S. Reasoner, L/CPL Randall K. Campbell, PFC Carl R Wenzel.
    Than there’s a signed citation from a Medal of Honor recipient;
    PFC Raymond M. Clausen Jr. USMC.
    Next, there is General John Lejeune’s Marine Corps Order 47.
    In addition, a plaque given to me by my brother CPL Ernesto Banuelos USMC, it has on it Staff Sergeant stripes the Marine Corps Emblem with my name and some words from him to me.
    My Honorable Discharge is next, followed by a photo of me in Vietnam.
    There are many photos of my love ones.
    In my half state, I thought of the different size of Marines, that I known from Carlos Melendez, who was little more than 5 foot 6 inches tall, I am one inch taller to MGySgt. Bill Robertson Jr. USMC at 6 foot 4 to 5 inches tall.
    All the other Marines that I known fall in between.
    Tony’s playing of the Marine Corps Hymn, awoke a memory of why some Marines do things, not for money or awards.
    They do things, because it is right and it is the thing to do.
    We lucky few, that have had the privilege to have worn the uniform and Emblem of the United States Marine Corps.
    Do things looking back on history and tradition, from a linkage to those early Marines on the sail tops firing down on enemies of other ships.
    The next Marines were those fighting in our war with Mexico in 1848
    To Marines fighting on different sides in a terrible war that almost split the Nation in half.
    The war with Spain was next in line.
    Than there’s the Marines of World War I, followed by Marines fighting in the Banana Small Wars.
    Marines of World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Beirut, Grenada, Desert Shield/Desert Storm to these present days Marines fighting this war on terrorism follow all those other Marines.
    Many have or are standing a post some where in the world, some guarding an embassy, some operating a supply depot or communication center.
    It is this linkage that gives meaning to Lt. General Victor Krulak words;
    “The Corps is more of the spirit than of the flesh”.
    Marines do things because they are right and it is the right thing to do, not for money or awards.

I once said; “It is up to an individual to make a mark or a stain, to mark that he or she was once of this earth.”
    Most Marines that I have known or know are not boastful because there is no need.
    Most would not cut down another service because it would dishonor the service of others.
    I will close with, on the eve of my departing for a CPX.
    One of my sons said to me, “Dad, Why are you going hundreds of miles to meet men that you really don’t know at all ?”
    My reply, “I do know all those men because I stood in the ranks with them as a Marine”.
    So, now we can reflect on a life that was given meaning by ten years of service in the United States Marine Corps
    Names also give meaning, 1st. Lt. Frank S. Reasoner, L/Cpl Randall K. Campbell, PFC Carl R. Wenzel, MGySgt. Bill Robinson Jr. MSgt. Budd with two "d"s, Sgt. George H. Morrow (Nomad) Staff Sergeant Roger Alfano, all Marines that it was my pleasure to have served with or known in my life time.

Talking

I forgot to mention Dancing Hamster Sgt. Murphy USMC, my granson loves squeezing his foot so it dances to the Marine Corps Hymn.
    We are silly aren't we?

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

A pix of Dancing Hamster Sgt. Murphy USMC
    Not the one in my office/den...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

MillRat:
    Silly?? Never!
    We are Marines. I like to think of "it" as Exhuberant, not silly.

It would take a long research to count and tally all the men and women who have served the Corps since its inception. The list stretches back to Tun Tavern. We all know the quick version of our history. It would stagger us to look at the long roster of all who have gone before us.

Even if we don't remember their names very accurately, Each of us has images of faces in our minds, friends and foes alike, with whom we've served. In the "Pinch", there are no foes, only Marines.

I almost came to thowing fists in Vietnam with a SSgt named Harrison (best memory on name). We faced off when he jumped one of my men for a bogus reason. We were hollering at each other when the Plt. Cmdr arrived and broke it up. I was only a LCpl, but I told the Lieutenant to keep the SSgt away from me, or the two of us would do a knuckle dance. There were bad feelings all around.

The next morning, in the midst of heavy contact with enemy forces, I was passing the same SSgt my extra 40mm M79 frag grenade rounds because he had run out. He came and asked, and I gave him all I could spare (18). At that moment, there was no good or bad guy, we were Marines in Combat. I needed him alive and fighting to watch my back, as he needed me for the same reason.

The parade of Ghosts who've held the line stretches back through our Corps' history. As long as one of us lives, we will honor their memory and uphold the honor of the Marine Corps. We added Drifter to that Ghost roster list recently. Some day, it will be our turn to join the long Skirmish line, and sweep into memory. There's nothing silly about that at all.

Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    It seems that I only remember a very few of the men and women I was stationed with.
    I know more Vietnam Era vets than Persian Gulf. Probably because of the web and my job. I wouldn't trade my life today for anything.
    I only served a very short time. But I have the pride of being a Marine and when I do remember a name, I do a search and have yet to locate any of them.

I Love (DH) Sgt Murphy...He is on my shelf as well.
    So we may not be silly, just young at heart!

Thread Information