Making the Corps - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've read Swofford's book cover to cover, as well as another one of his shorter pieces. I'll give him this: he sure knows how to make someone think twice, and put a sick feeling in your stomach. But then you have to look at what he's doing. His shorter piece was a very thinly disguised indictment of the US Government and the war in Iraq as entirely motivated by the oil industry. He characterizes the Corps as a horrible thing that ruins lives and leaves empty shells of men. Perhaps in his case, that's true. But in my meager experience, life, and what you do with it, is only what you make of it. Yeah, you might get thrown into some tight spots, certainly Recruit Training will be one of them, and you might take some hits. But in the end, it all comes down to what you take away from it. Having plenty of guys that I grew up with as friends, who are now Marines in all sorts of different areas and MOSs, this only rings more true. Thousands of men and women have stood on those yellow footprints before us, and thousands more will follow us after we have risen to the challenge. The ones before us made it. The ones after us will be counting on our contributions to the legacy of the Marine Corps to help set the standard and see them through. Swofford's book is good as a piece to give you perspective, but I'd suggest taking it with a grain of salt- as I would any other singular work on any subject.

Saurian'sEdge
    Guest Free Member

Making The Corps

I had the pleasure of being in Sgt Carreys last platoon. If you want to do some research.

12 Dec 1995; 3rd Batt., Kilo Company, Plt 3044.

Now imagine my face when I bought that book..
    In the middle of Barnes & Noble

Lucky you Saurian!!!!!

edit: that book was great!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Flags of our Fathers is another great book. Also, Warning of War is a good one...

Saurian'sEdge
    Guest Free Member

Good Books

"Chesty" by LtCol Jon T. Hoffman, USMCR
    THE CORPS SERIES by W.E.B Griffin
    "Marine" by Tom Clancy and any "Jack Ryan" novels
    "Into the Storm" by Tom Clancy and Gen. Fred Franks USA(ret)
    "Blood Warriors" by Michael Lee Lanning
    "Stingray" by Mjr Bruce H. Norton, USMC (ret)
    "First Recon-Second to None" by Paul R. Young USMC
    "Into the Rising Sun" by Patrick K. O'Donnell
    "Over There" by Carl Andrew Brannen USMC
    "Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie USMC
    "Semper Fi, Mac" by Henry Berry
    "The Good War" by Studs Terkel USMC (ret)
    "Mission Compromised" by Col Oliver North USMC(ret)
    "Warfighting" by CMC Gen. A.M. Gray USMC(ret)
    Guidebook for Marines
    FM 31-21 Guerrilla Warfare and Special Forces Operations,USARMY
    "SAS Handbook"
    "US ARMY RANGER HANDBOOK"

Does the CMC still have the reading list? I would like to know.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yes the CMC still has a reading list

I found it on a Navy website. Lots of good stuff on that list.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Different people have different experiences it's all what you make of it.
    This is so true. I've had friends of mine join the Marines before, during and after I did. Each one has a different take on the Corps. None of them ever regret joining.

As for Lcpl Swofford, I wasn't too happy reading his book. Marines should keep their dirty laundry in house. It's ok to b*tch, in fact, I encourage it. B*tching will keep you busy on those long deployments and make the time go by faster. But that information in the wrong hands can make us look very bad. This is our family. It's nobody's business but the family's business.

The book would have been great had it not been sold publicly. But then, what's the point? Swofford's account of things are very realistic (from what he experienced).

Another thing you should remember is that the Corps changes real fast in a lot of areas. I've been out for a year now and so many changes have taken place. Of course, this is where you'll get the "Back in the Old Corps....." speech from anyone who's been in longer than 2 minutes.

A true story:

Robert Mullen owned Tun Tavern. He's been labeled the first Marine Recruiter. After a long trip at sea, a bunch of merchant sailors were coming in the tavern to get some rum and get drunk. The first guy to enter the tavern sat at the bar where Mullen began to give his pitch.

"Hey fella. We are starting this new organization called the Marines. There will be lots of fighting and you'll get to get off the ship more often."

The sailor replied, "What's the pay?"

"Well, you get 2 dollars a month and as a signing bonus I'll give you a mug of rum and a loaf of bread right now on the house."

"I'll take it!" said the sailor.

So the sailor took his bread and rum and went off to a corner to eat it. Another sailor came in the tavern and Mullen began his pitch again.

"Hey fella. We are starting this new organization called the Marines. There will be lots of fighting and you'll get to get off the ship more often."

The sailor replied, "What's the pay?"

"Well, you get 2 dollars a month and as a signing bonus I'll give you a mug of rum and a loaf of bread right now on the house."

"Naw, I think I'll pass. I'm a big fella and one loaf and one mug just won't do it for me" the sailor replied.

"OK, how about two loaves and two mugs?"

"Sounds good - I'll take it" the sailor agreed.

So the sailor took his bread and rum and went off to a corner to eat it with the other sailor.

"How come you got two loaves of bread and two mugs of rum?" asked the first sailor.

"Well, this recruiter fella up there said if'n I join the Marines, he'll give it to me for free"

"Damn - back when I joined the Marines, we only got.........."

Thread Information