Former or Present Drill Instructors
Create Post

Former or Present Drill Instructors

I was just wondering if there were any present Drill Instructors or former Drill Instructors on the board. If so I was wondering if I could ask a few questions.

Thank you very much

Cole, I am sure there are some here. I would also gurantee you that there are people more than prepared to answer your question, even if they weren't Drill Instructors. Someone knows the answer, so why don't you just ask?

Credits
    Savings
    I don't think any present Drill Instructors have time to be online...

they are too busy whipping poolees into Marines!!

But ask away, someone will know the answer. We have "been there, done that!"

I was just wondering about the life of a Drill Instructor, is it hectic? Do they have time to do things that they want, when do they get breaks...stuff like that.

Thanks.

Registered User Free Member Chevy2233's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    During the first couple of weeks after "Black Friday" when you first meet your Drill Instructors you will think they never sleep and all 3 of them, if you have 3, will be there. I hear stories that they sleep when you are in class, but I'm not sure about that. After about the 3rd or 4th week you will most likly have only one Drill Instructor on deck and sometime the Senior Drill Instructor will also be there. At night there is only one so the other 2 go home. Then they switch off mid through the next day, so its pretty much one on and one off including the Senior Drill Instructor. Once in a blue moon your senior Drill Instructor will stand duty and give the other 2 time to go home. Thats pretty much all I know, but I'm sure an actual Drill Instructor knows more then me.

Credits
    Savings
    To whom it may concern,

I recently stepped off of the streets of MCRD San Diego, CA. I was a Drill Instructor from 1997-2000, 1st Blt A Co. I will be more than willing to answer any one of your questions, so ask away.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wasn't a DI, but I was on staff at MCRD PISC. I can tell you from my SNCO friends who were DIs that it is a hectic and demanding lifestyle. It wouldn't be so hectic if they could beat the **** out of a recruit every now and then, but that can't happen. Remember, DIs going to a school that is essentially just like going back to recruit training. The have the same schedule, with PT, classes and all the field training. They have to master all subjects. They have to be able to recited the drill manual and lead from the front in PT. The bottom line is once they graduate from school, they live that way for a few years. After pick-up (I have no idea what Black Friday is or who started that name) DIs are with the platoon every hour of the day till lights out. They are back each morning before PT or first training class. Don't forget, every third night or so they have to remain overnight in the barracks with the little nasties. Hectic, yeah, I'd say so. No more less stressful than being a recruiter!

Sixguns

Sender, thanks for keeping the recruits of today inline with the long line of people they followed.

Anyway Cole, DIs have a hectic life... you know they do. Just think about what they have to do. They have to take someone like you and turn them into a United States Marine. There aren't enough hours in the day to make that task easy, or even possible for most people, or even Marines. My platoon had four DIs to begin with, and another was added while we were on the range. Even at this, I would venture a guess and say they got less sleep and personal time than any other group of Marines not involved in combat. They had to watch us all of the time. They hit the rack after recruits, but are squared away when the recruits wake up the next morning. But, being a DI isn't in your immediate future, so it shouldn't matter too much. You have to learn to deal with them before being one is even in the realm of possibility. But, it is an admirable goal to have if that is why you asked the question. And I am sure Sender will be more than happy to fill you in on any questions you have about one of the toughest jobs in the Marine Corps.

Thread Information