Ricardo

I got side tracked, so here is some information
    29th Repl. Dft, C/O S.F., Calif;
    Stands for the;
    29th Replacement Draft
    Care of San Francisco, California

As it was posted.

Here's a little more information on Replacement Drafts;
    On the west coast, Camp Elliott, less hampered than Quantico by a multiplicity of activities, proved capable initially of handling the vastly increased load of advanced training, though the camp was expanded and developed to many times its original size in the process. Its 29,000 acres housed the 2d Marine Division from its activation until its departure for the Pacific. It also became the home of the Marine Corps' first tank training center and the infantry training center for numerous replacement drafts.
    Also some training was done in Hawaii before going farther east in the Pacific...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Hi MillRatUCMC,

The Marine I am researching is Albert Ralph Campbell. He enlisted in the Corps in 1897, served in Cuba, the Philippines, China (awarded the CMH), and went back to the Philippines (recommended for a CMH). He came back to the US was promoted to corporal and received an honorable discharge in 1902.

He was a Colt machinegunner.

He re-enlisted in 1904 and for some unknown reason he deserted in December 1904. He tried to get back in the Corps in 1918 but the war was over before he could do it. The Corps said that all was forgiven as far as the desertion and he could get back in.

He died in 1925 in California and lies in an unmarked grave. I would love to get a picture of him.

Mike

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/cita..._campbell.html

Sorry on the photo, the above is his citation on a site that lists his burial in the City of Glendale, California in Oaklawn cemetery.

Maybe some of the Marines from California can locate his gravesite and take a photo.

Marines die but they are not forgotten as long as there is a United States Marine Corps, they will live forever...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Thanks, Ricardo,

I do have a photo of the gravesite, such as it is, and have been in contact with the cemetery folks, as well as the VA, to see if I can get a marker placed. I have all of the paperwork ready to submit.

You are correct. He is buried in Glendale. He has no family or at least I haven't been able to trace any despite a fairly thorough search. The no family part presented some legal problems as far as marker placement was concerned but I now have that worked out, too.

I have been working and researching this Marine for about 5 years and I've about run out of leads on some of his history.

Mike

Thread Information