Leaving for Boot tomorrow. Need advice
Create Post

Leaving for Boot tomorrow. Need advice

Long story short, I got tendonitis in both my ankles from running more than I should have, I have had it for about 3 months now and it is only getting worse. I am shipping tomorrow and my recruiter is telling me that I will be able to let it heal at bootcamp, is that true? It is to the point where I can't feel my ankles while running anymore and It kills to walk after running, should I wait for it to heal here or go tomorrow. My recruiter insists that I go I have already brought it up to him.

Similar Threads:

How far are you running? Can you run at all and have it not bother you? Do you have good running shoes, or old crappy shoes?

They probably won't discharge you for it... but you might end up spending more time there if it impacts your ability to train. On the plus side, you'll get new running shoes when you get there which might help -- and the runs are almost entirely self-paced and not daily, and not far.

If I were you I'd try to delay shipping if it really is that bad. Let it heal, and get to the point where you can still run what you need to run. But only you can make that decision.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    How far are you running? Can you run at all and have it not bother you? Do you have good running shoes, or old crappy shoes?

They probably won't discharge you for it... but you might end up spending more time there if it impacts your ability to train. On the plus side, you'll get new running shoes when you get there which might help -- and the runs are almost entirely self-paced and not daily, and not far.

If I were you I'd try to delay shipping if it really is that bad. Let it heal, and get to the point where you can still run what you need to run. But only you can make that decision.

Mike
    I can run the mile and a half in 13:13, only problem is that after I run that, I can't lift the tip of my feet up at all and when I do run I don't have proper form because of me not being able to land on my feet properly, I have good running shoes too, just got them a month ago. Thanks for the reply.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Is this Achilles tendonitis you have? Was it diagnosed by a physician? If so, did he/she advise you to modify your running activities, preferably using some other method of cardio (bike, swimming, etc)?

If it is Achilles tendonitis, it will only take a wrong step to rupture the tendon. If that happens, and it is a complete tear, you are probably looking at surgery.

My advice, as a non-physician, is to delay your entry into boot camp until the tendonitis has resolved itself. If the tendon tears and you need surgery, it is quite possible you may face discharge if recovery will take too long. They'll likely give you a chance to re-hab a bit, and make a discharge decision depending on your progress.

I'll be darned when or how you would be able to heal tendonitis at boot camp without being in the Medical Re-hab Platoon, or whatever they call it these days. I've had tendonitis in both my knees when I was a police officer. I was in a brace and on light duty for several weeks each time.

You cannot take your running shoes with you. You'll be issued a new pair of New Balance and have to break them in. Only cure for an overuse injury like tendonitis is rest - which you will not be given in a training platoon.

Problem with overuse injuries is, if not treated, can turn into something more serious requiring surgery/rehab (possibly a medical discharge).

Things do not get easier after bootcamp. Humps (hikes) are longer and the loads carried heavier at the School of Infantry.

Your recruiter is insisting you ship because he does not get credit for enlisting you till you graduate from bootcamp. Your DI's won't care about your recruiter nor your tendonitis. All they'll care about is you completing the required training event. If you can't do that, they'll drop you from training.

Good luck.

Thread Information