USMC Drug Waiver question
Create Post

USMC Drug Waiver question

Hey Marines I have a very interesting situations and I think is unique but I wanted some insight to what’s going on and what my options are. I dep’d into the marine corp in June and my ship date was September 18th. The day I was going to ship at meps they had one of those practice moment of truths and I came clean about my marijuana usage because integrity and honesty are key elements of being a marine and I couldn’t be okay knowing I got in on a lie. The original number I gave was 7, my buddy in the Air Force told me to say a low number because they want to hear it. Though at meps I came clean to the gunny sgt, this is where things get crazy. The gunny asked how many times I have actually smoked and while I was trying to figure out the amount of times over a 4 year period he rushed me and told me to spit out a number, something I can remember. I panicked and said 503 ( that’s my area code ) so he sent me to the medical office and well you guessed it I got DQd. After going back to my RSS and talking with my recruiter we are in the process of getting a waiver. He asked me now that I have time what the amount of times I smoked was and it was 174 times( I passerby the drug and blood test at meps and haven’t smoked in 6 months) . He said I’m going to be a need a high level waiver and a psych revaluation but I could still possibly ship. I understand I am a grade A dumb ass and I am living with it. I’m staying positive and staying marine corp ready with my fitness. Can we be honest and tell me what my chances are of getting this waiver? Is it a possibility or are they just doing this to let me down easy. I want this more than anything and I understand I messed up in my past but that’s not me anymore and this is more then what I want for my future.

Similar Threads:

Is it a possibility? Yes. Will it be easy? No.

I believe less than 3 uses is a RS level waiver. More than 3 less than 10 is District level. Over 10 is regional. (My memory regarding the exact numbers could be off a bit but there's no doubt in my mind you'll need a regional waiver with that much marijuana use) RS would be a Captain or Major. District would be a LtCol or Colonel. You've leaped frogged them all and gone to a General. So your paperwork is going to have to start at your recruiting office and get approved by a Major, a LtCol, and finally a Major General.

The process will be slow. You'll have statements to write and have to prove your worth. And it might be a good idea to spell Marine Corps correctly, as well.

If you're close to your 365 day limit in DEP they might have to discharge you and start the entire enlistment process from scratch.

Good luck with your waivers. If I were one of those officers, I would send them back disapproved - but that's just me.

If you really want to join this gun club, least you can do is spell it correctly (look at the top of this page for a clue). I know, it's your stupid phone's fault - that's what everyone claims anyway but nobody here buys it. More likely, all that weed over the years destroyed some of your brain cells.

I'll take the other perspective. The kid was a pot head in high school... I know plenty of Marines who smoked way more than that (every day for 4+ years pretty much) and were excellent Marines. I also unfortunately have known more than one Marine who has wound up dead or in jail due to completely legal alcohol consumption. This kid knew he wanted to join the Marines, and stopped his pretty habitual Marijuana use for 6 months to do so. I think that's commendable, given dudes pop on the **** test at MEPS, boot camp, SOI, and in the fleet.

I think its laughable they expect you to give them a number of times that is accurate and in the hundreds. That said, you are right and you are a dumbass though, lol. 503? really bro?

Mike

Appreciate that perspective, it's been a popular one for decades. Maybe the officers involved in this situation share that view as well.

I've just always taken a hardline against drug/alcohol abuse. Never smoked pot in my life (believe it or not) nor tobacco for that matter. Don't drink alcohol. The worse leaders I had were alcoholics and their Marines suffered for it. My most difficult leadership challenges almost always involved alcohol (sometimes females or finances). My Marines learned early on, they did not want to have to see me after an alcohol related incident - there would be hell to pay. Call me a prude but that's just the way I was raised (peer pressure never worked with me and the guys I hung out with were just as straight as I was anyway).

I do believe in second chances and gave many - for individuals who had demonstrated their worth to the organization and built up some equity through sustained performance over a period of time. The OP's integrity and honesty are commendable and maybe will work in his favor. I would just need to see more than that and be convinced this part of his life is truly in his past (I am not convinced at this point).

Thread Information