Shoulder Surgery Concerns
Create Post

Shoulder Surgery Concerns

Hello Marines,
    My name is Matthew and I am in the process of enlisting in the DEP. Last year in June I had a surgery that repaired a torn labrum and bankhart in my right shoulder. Since recovering I have been stronger than ever before and constantly in the gym every day. I have been able to get between 6 and 10 pullups so far. I understand that this passes the minimum requirements but my concern is if that is good enough to get through boot camp. I have all of my medical paperwork through all I am waiting for is an evaluation from my surgeon that the MEPS doctors requested. Any kind of response is appreciated especially if you or someone you know had a similar experience as I.

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Welcome to the site! Kamauxx, a former recruiter, usually wanders in here, and if he does, you'll get some good info.

If you make it through the medical process and eventually find yourself at bootcamp, the minimum requirements are good enough to graduate, that's why they're considered the minimum requirements. Your drill instructors will demand more than that from you each and every day. Not everyone meets the minimum requirements and graduates from bootcamp. I saw where a recruit was sent home recently because she could not run fast enough and another who could not pass swim qualification (after multiple attempts).

It's a different story after bootcamp and in the fleet. Our promotion system is geared to promote and keep the best. Just getting by with minimum scores will keep you on active duty, but will not make you competitive enough to get promoted ahead of your peers.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Welcome to the site! Kamauxx, a former recruiter, usually wanders in here, and if he does, you'll get some good info.
    I actually read his post a few days ago and unfortunately couldn't add anything of value.

The reason I say that is because I think each MEPS medical personnel have different conditions they're willing to waive. For us we couldn't even send anyone to MEPS if they'd had a shoulder surgery.

I know there are waivers for shoulder surgeries, I just don't know if his particular MEPS grants them.

OP, for what it's worth I had the same surgery as you, twice. I did my left arm in 2009 and my right in 2015. I made full recoveries from both. You're a lot younger than I am so your shouldn't slow you down during boot camp when/if you hit the depot.

Thank you everyone for your responses, it definitely eased some anxiety I had about my situation.

Thread Information