Aircrew or Parachute Rigger
Create Post

Aircrew or Parachute Rigger

Good morning/afternoon/evening Marines,

I am new to the community even though I have read nearly 100 forums so I would like to apologize if I have done anything wrong so far. I know that you have to fill out your profile, which I have done, but I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to do so if so please let me know.

Moving on, my name is Austin Barker and I am a poolee from RSS Frankfort in Kentucky. I sworn in May 19th and ship off to MCRD Parris Island December 4th of this year. I always wanted to become a Marine since around middle school and have finally put that dream into motion. I have been talking to my recruiter for nearly two years before I finally went to MEPS and now that I am sworn in I need to figure out what job contract I would like to sign. I do know the needs of the Marine Corps is the highest priority but I would like to be guaranteed a field where I would have my job in. I do have some time to decide since I will most likely not be signing a contract until the contracts for new FY come out in August-October.

I have been looking into different MOS's for some time now and have narrowed down two contracts that I would like to do but need help deciding which one to do. The first one is an AG contract for aircrew and the second is a PR contract for parachute rigger. I have read a lot of stuff and talked to the SNCOIC at my recruiting station since he is a crew chief on aircrew training and life but have not found a lot of information on being a parachute rigger. I know you go to airborne school after MCT then to parachute rigger school after that but cannot find anything on the life of a parachute rigger so I was hoping some Marines on this forum could shed some light on the two jobs and give their opinion on what it was like.

I know this is all way in the future and I should worry about recruit training but I would like to know what is ahead of me after recruit training and how I can help prepare for it. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Barker

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Sweetpea -

IF I were you -
    Perhaps the first thing
    I would do is contact one of the administrators
    here to have them remove your complete first
    and last name from your post .

Then , i would edit the same information
    from your member profile here -
    Minimize your personal information on the net -/internet -

?
    you asked about MOS's -

*Old Man said - Hard tellin - not knowin'

Lots of youngsters enlist with the view they
    will last a LIFETIME in the Corps / which quickly
    turns into 3-4-5-or even 6 years and out quick
    as they can.

consider-
    will you be able to use either in the OUTSIDE WORLD
    to earn a living ? OR to improve your LIFE ?

Read the similar threads below your post.

Never did any of the two jobs you're interested in. That said, can't imagine why you would aspire to spend your days inside a large hangar, on your feet, packing parachutes/cords into its carrier. It's a vital job that requires 100% attention to detail and focus (other Marine's lives depend on it - a Navy SEAL died last week when his chute failed to open). But, it's also repetitive/mundane work and what happens when you get burned out - you can't just go and do something else more exciting.

m14ed brings up an important point about civilian employment after you get out. Never heard of a demand for civilian parachute riggers.

Thank you both for your feedback. My recruiter told me to go aircrew and get a FAA A&P license because those are great in the civilian world. And m14ed, thank you for the heads up, once I find an administrator I will ask them too.

the last I heard is that Parachute packing is done mechanically now and has very little hands on. uless it is your own chute, then you may pack your own..

Thanks for your input irpat54. Like I said I have very little knowledge of the MOS and what they do and all feedback is much appreciated.

An A&P license is a valuable credential in civilian aviation and not easy to attain. You need to do more research to find out what it takes to get that license, and if air crew can work towards them or, is it something you'll have to do on your own off duty.

According to my recruiter who is a crew chief they can work towards them in their jobs since they are also mechanics on whatever bird they work on. He has his and said all he had to do was log so many hours of working on his bird before he was eligible to take the test.

I would take aircrew. I think it will be more interesting work with the perks of getting to fly around. Plus air wing lives the good life in the USMC. Also if you find you love it, a lot of prior service aircrew guys go over to the army to be pilots, no college required, this would be a good way to get your feet wet.

Best of luck,

Mike

Thanks crazymjb, I never thought of the pilot thing with the Army. I always thought if I liked it I could get out, go to college, and commission and go for pilot but the Army route sounds more guaranteed than commissioning.

Both are options... but its a bit easier in the army.

Mike

The USMC does have apprentice programs in mechanical/technical fields where you maintain an official log of your work experience (certified by your superiors) that can then be applied towards civilian license requirements. Lots of Marines have taken advantage of this opportunity for civilian employment.

Looks like we may have helped you narrow your MOS choices. Now, your recruiter just has to come up with an air crew contract for you. That may or may-not happen. Let us know.

Thank you Marines for the input. I have decided to go Aircrew but it will be a while until I can sign a contract. I'll keep you guys informed.

Thread Information