Best route for a career in federal law enforcement?
Create Post

Hey guys I know having a bachelors degree is a must but I heard if you don't qualify for veterans preference they won't even look at you, what is a good MOS that will help and can being in the special operational forces help with your application? Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Logical answer is military law enforcement (5800 MOS field). Do a GOOGLE search for all the MOS's within the 5800 field. Understand, you cannot be gauranteed a specific MOS (unless you get a reserve contract).

Credits
    Savings
    Yesterday, 05:25 PM
    vyrez

Marine FriendFree Member

Hey guys I know having a bachelors degree is a must but I heard if you don't qualify for veterans preference they won't even look at you, what is a good MOS

you have a three ?word? profile-

and troll with a question like that ?

The FBI (CIA, and others) sends their recruiters to career fairs on college campuses (I see them here on the University of Tennessee's campus). That tells me they are looking for seniors getting ready to graduate and not just somebody with veterans preference. You need to do more research to better understand what Federal agencies are looking for (not just what you hear).

M14d What in the **** are you saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The FBI (CIA, and others) sends their recruiters to career fairs on college campuses (I see them here on the University of Tennessee's campus). That tells me they are looking for seniors getting ready to graduate and not just somebody with veterans preference. You need to do more research to better understand what Federal agencies are looking for (not just what you hear).
    Thank you sir so I'll complete my bachelors first before enlisting.

When I enlisted in the Corps I had two years of community collage but no degree. I served four years as a Military Policeman 5811. Upon my discharge I hired on with the US Border Patrol and did a 29 year career retiring in Jan 2009. I think the Border Patrol is a good place to start in federal law enforcement as part of your training includes learning Spanish. After a few years you can apply for employment with another agency (DEA, ATF, FBI, Marshals) and you will have the advantage of a second language. Who knows, like me you might find that the Border Patrol is the best and make it a career.

Don't get a useless degree either. Look into what the feds want... it probably isn't CJ. Computer science, linguistics, etc is what I'm thinking.

Also, on the MOS front I heard a podcast where a soldier was talking about a Warrant officer specific mos in the Army that is along the lines of detective. Apparently it is a common feeder MOS to federal LE. Might be mos 31D CID. Worth looking in to if federal LE is your end game.

Mike

Useless as degrees are, all investigative federal law enforcement agencies (FBI, DEA, ATF) require a four year degree. I've been retired now for over eight years, I have no idea if Border Patrol now requires any collage degree? I would finish with collage. I know the Army has a helicopter pilot program that starts you out as a Warrant Officer; it didn't used to require a degree as you were not an Commissioned Officer. Get the degree it goes a long way even if it is just a piece of paper.

The army aviation program does not require a degree, and they are actually hurting for pilots big-time right now.

Mike

Thread Information