Swearing in at Meps?
Create Post

Swearing in at Meps?

Next week I am going through the two day process of taking my Asvab and Meps. I've heard alot of people say that I would have to swear in as open contract and then talk to my recruiter about what jobs are available. Is this true or will I be able to select my mos before I swear in. I don't want to swear in and then find no interest in any jobs my recruiter throws at me. I want to go in a 03 or 06 field radio operator. Are these jobs heavily filled now a days? I don't care what anyways says about Infantry I have my heart set on it and hope to be a grunt. I'm not filing out papers at a desk all day I want to be deployed and would even try to sign in to deploy right away after whatever school I go through. I respect everyone's opinion on here. Thank you Marines

Similar Threads:

after you take the test, your recruiter will know at that time what you are qualified for, it all depends on your score, and also if the one you choose is open at or about the time of your departure for boot camp.
    your recruiter will go over all of it before you take any oath, if it goes the way it did for my late Daughter, you will take your oath after you get your physical.

You will sign two contracts. First is an open contract that gets you enrolled in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) and makes you a poolee. That's all it means. Will not show any MOS's, as you're not qualified for a MOS at this point. If you're not comfortable with this system, don't sign the contract and you will not join your DEP (and you will not ship to bootcamp). If you do decide to sign this contract, you are under no obligation to ship to bootcamp later. You can remain in your DEP for up to 365 days and you can drop out of your DEP at any time (just have to write a statement explaining your reasons for dropping out).

The second contract will be signed on the day you ship to bootcamp. This contract will show the MOS programs you're eligible for. It will not guarantee any of those MOS's, but you will get one of them - depending on the needs of the Marine Corps after bootcamp. If you don't want any of the MOS programs on this contract, don't sign it, and you'll be sent back home (won't ship to bootcamp).

Infantry contracts are the first to disappear, followed by intelligence. Recruiters only have so many infantry contracts to offer. Once they're all gone, there won't be more till the new fiscal year on October 1st. Since you can remain in your DEP for 365 days, you can decide to hang around to see if one opens up unexpedectly (sometimes someone with an infantry contract will drop out of the DEP and that contract will become available - but chances are, other poolees besides yourself are also waiting for an infantry contract - your recruiters will decide who gets that contract based on myriad factors like who deserves it most). Your recruiter may say they can get you an infantry contract but, with a reserve unit (not active duty).

Let's say your recruiter is able to get you an infantry contract, you finish Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) after bootcamp, and join an infantry battalion in the Fleet Marine Force (FMF). Congratulations. This does not guarantee you will deploy. You'll deploy if-and-when your battalion receives deployment orders. Being a grunt does not guarantee you'll ever deploy. One cannot "sign in" or volunteer to deploy right away. Individuals don't deploy - units deploy. Another infantry battalion in your regiment might deploy - you cannot just go and join that other battalion because you want to deploy with them. You belong to your battalion and will deploy, or not deploy, along with them.

There are two facts of life you must be willing to accept if you want to earn the title some day.

#1 - you will NOT know your primary MOS before shipping to bootcamp. That will be determined after bootcamp.

#2 - the primary MOS you are assigned after bootcamp is based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time (along with your ASVAB score and security clearance). Your needs are secondary - at best. The Marine Corps may need grunts or field radio operators and give you one of those jobs - or it may not.

If those two facts of life do not meet your expectations, don't waste your's and your recruiter's time going to MEPS. They won't change policy just so you can get what you want. There are plenty of Marines today unhappy with their MOS or who did not end up with the MOS they wanted (because what they wanted did not match up with what the Marine Corps needed) - that's life in the big city and comes along with the title.

Good luck.

Thank you alot! This is all valuable information. My recruiter said I would probably be going to boot camp 6 months after Meps and I have no problem cause that is more time to prepare. I don't want to waist my recruiters time but I also do not want to end up a cook or admin even though I do respect there service. A question I would have to ask is, if I qualify for Infantry or field radio operator and able to select that Mos before boot, will I still not be guaranteed that Mos until after boot camp.? My friend has been a marine for a year now and he said he chose his Mos at Meps and he keeps telling me not to go open contract.im not sure how he was able to choose it right then in their, and then some people don't really get a guaranteed MOS. Lets say I sign the open contract and then I'm in the DEP. Will their be any jobs I can select and be guaranteed before and after boot? I'm a bit anxious cause I have my heart set on being a grunt and been preparing since sophomore year of high school. Thank you for your time it really helps me out a lot.

Sorry for an add on but this all I can think about latley. If I sign a contract before bootcamp for a MOS that is available, will I be guaranteed that Mos after bootcamp?

I studied up a bit and read that you aren't guaranteed a specific Mos but you can be guaranteed a field. So if I wanted to be 01, 02, etc. I could be gauranted the field, but not nessacarily the specific Mos I would like? Is this true? If I wanted to be a field radio operator could I sign a contract for 06 and be guaranteed that field even if I don't end up 0651? Sorry if this is a bit much but I respect the advice and appreciate it coming from actually marines themselves, and not just some random dude on yahoo answers. I will earn the title marine one day nothing will back me down or make me decide otherwise. I'll be proud to serve wherever the usmc needs me but I am way to physically ready and high speed to be an admin or cook, no offense to any marines who have that mos.

base everything off this one thing,

the needs of the Corps come first,

you can be guaranteed a Field, but after school you will go where the Marine Corps need you, 99.9% of the time they put you in the field that you were trained in, but sometimes, the Field don't open up like they thought it would due to some reason or another, so they will put you where the need is.

Yes. You understand it correctly. Active duty Marines aren't guaranteed a specific MOS. You can be guaranteed a MOS field (called a program). The primary MOS you end up with in that field will be determined based on the needs of the Marine Corps (not your needs).

Example. The 5800 field includes military police and corrections (prison guards). A poolee can be guaranteed 5800 on their contract. But, the Marine Corps will decide if it needs more MP's or prison guards after bootcamp, and assign the primary MOS accordingly.

Your recruiter can explain how all this works. Remember, they may not have an 03 or 06 program to offer to you. Or, they only have those programs available with a reserve contract. Recruiters don't just come up with stuff on their own. They get their quotas (missions) from their district headquarters - who get their mission from Headquarters Marine Corps. Your recruiter can only offer what their district commanding officer says they can offer.

Okay Thank you both for replying and giving me valuable information. I understand how it works alot better now and I don't mind at all where they place me along my field choice. I know every job in the marines is valuable in there own way to help the needs of the corps and I heard of Infantry men even hating what they do. Life isn't always easy and getting what you want. If I wanted an easy life style I would joined AF no disrespect for them lol. I want to join the best and willing to give up my easy civilian life to do so.. Thank you marines again

Thread Information