Some Questions Regarding UV Security Forces 03XX Contracts
Create Post

Some Questions Regarding UV Security Forces 03XX Contracts

Up until my last pool function I was under the impression that I was going straight UH 03XX infantry, as that's what I want to do in my military career and it's what my recruiter and gunny said I will get. Long story short; my recruiter slips and mentions I'll be getting a UV Security Force specialty contract as well, assuming the gunny had already gone over with it with me and stuff like that. Nope. So he sugar coats it a bit and goes with the whole "it's an extra year of badass training, another year enlistment and faster promotions". All technically true, but of course leaving out the finer details such as: 2 years Security Force and then infantry, the different options within MCSF (such as F.A.S.T and RTT), the fact that I'll have considerably less 03XX experience after those two years despite likely coming out at least as a Lance Corporal, etc. So after going home and doing my own research, I've found myself in quite the frustrating situation.

The biggest problem with this is he dropped this bomb the day I signed my contract. He sugar coated it; the paperwork just says what you need to qualify for, and I signed away not knowing the full extent of Security Force and all that comes along with it. I was left fully under the impression that it really only means an extra year of training and faster ranking.

So, now that I realize the hole I've begun to dig, I'd like to make it as shallow as possible. If this is the route I am to take, I'd prefer to go F.A.S.T, as it seems more challenging and includes deployments, finish as a Corporal and make the best of both worlds. Reap the benefits of faster promotions and an expended military portfolio, but also spend a fair amount of time as a grunt the remainder of my 5 year enlistment.

Now with that out of the way; I'm still seeking information regarding Security Forces, particularly F.A.S.T. I am familiar with the training process (SOI then to Chesapeake for S.F training and specific processing depending on what you are chosen for), but I'd like to know what I can do to give me my best possible odds for making the most of this. I originally wanted to receive an 0331 or 0352 contract, but if this hurts my odds of qualification for F.A.S.T then I will have to weigh my options. I scored a 92 on the ASVAB, am on course for a perfect IST before boot in April, and thoroughly plan to make the most out of my military career. I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

The second part of this, which hopefully many more people have knowledge of, is the general opinion of F.A.S.T Marines when they hit the fleet. I understand that it probably drives most Marines nucking-futs to have some "Security Guard" Corporal come in with little to no true 03XX MOS experience and try to sit in a leadership position - and rightfully so. I wanted the grunt life and the comradery that came along with it, but unfortunately it seems that's going to be much harder for me to attain. That being said, I don't like to think myself as someone who will hold some egotistical chip on my shoulder because I'm an E-whatever. By the time I hit fleet I understand that the people I will be working with will have already been there for quite some time and have every right to assume I will have no idea what the hell I'm doing, and fully expect to push myself to know what they know in an extraordinary short amount of time. My goal is to get a job done and get it done the first time, and ensuring mutual trust and respect between myself and other Marines is crucial in that aspect. So should I really be all that worried about Security Forces completing ruining what I sought out in infantry in the first place?

Thanks in advance for any advice or information, and thank you to all Marines for your service. I'm excited to earn the title.

Similar Threads:

I suppose I should add that I'm not 100% certain I even get to choose another 03XX MOS other than 0311 once I sign a UV Security Force 03XX contract. Clarification would be fantastic.
    The only contract I have signed on this MOS change would be the one where you sign your initials down the yes/no columns asking a variety of questions. If it's not to late and I can still get a plain UH 03XX Infantry contract, that's something to weigh on as well. I will still put more thought into that, but the opportunities of faster promotions and more training are appealing with Security Forces and F.A.S.T.

Credits
    Savings
    I fell asleep
    near the end
    of the second sentence
    in the first paragraph ,

Sweatpea.

As I understand it, as an active duty Marine your contract selections are essentially limited to the field unless this has changed. So you could choose infantry, 03XX, or as is your case security forces, among others. What I'm not sure about is if by having a security forces contract you are forced into 0311 at SOI, where when I was there in 2008, and I imagine to this day, they had a wish list and you may or may not get your first choice depending on various factors to include aptitude, PT, what the instructors thought of you, and needs of the Marine Corps.

It sounds like you are somewhat set on the USMC as a career. That is admirable, and I wish you well, but just be aware that more often than not those planning on doing 20 or more, don't. That said, I don't think security forces will derail you if that is your goal. While everything is subject to change, we are currently in somewhat of a peacetime, at least compared to the last 15 years. While small contingents of the USMC are deploying to combat zones, you aren't seeing guaranteed combat deployments among the infantry like you were 10 years ago. Heck, when I joined the reserves, us reservists were guaranteed to go to war, and so we did. Anyway, my point is I don't think you are going to be missing much by being in Security Forces, and I think it will be a great opportunity. Personally, if I were going in as active duty infantry under the current op-tempo, I think I'd be giving a serious look at security forces. It is a great training opportunity, also it will break up your first few years of service so even if you decide the USMC is not something you want to make a career, you will get a varied experience.

It sounds like you have done your homework. As far as the lack of respect towards NCOs coming from security forces, during times where you would come to the fleet as a Corporal with no deployments due to SF, while the other corporals had already been to Iraq or Afghanistan once or twice, I think there probably existed a bit of suspicion. Even if this were the case (and I don't think it will be in the current operational tempo), if the unit isn't all messed up that little bit of "suspicion" should not be reflected in how you are treated by junior Marines, or your NCO peers. "Combat deployments" have little bearing on ones competence as an infantry leader and NCO. You are obviously intelligent. Before getting back to the fleet, take some time to brush up on doctrine and tactics, and when you get to that unit have the other NCOs do everything they can to bring you up to speed. Also, you have learned interesting and important **** by being security forces, bring that to the fleet. Take the opportunity to pass on CQB knowledge, etc.

If you really don't want this, see if you can get your recruiter to change it. That said, I think this may be a good opportunity, and in your shoes I think I'd take advantage of it.

Mike

Hey, I see you're an Idaho guy like me. Sorry you are a Vandal, but choosing to become a Marine makes up for it (joking)! I think you're worrying too much. I don't know sh1t about security forces, but was an 0311. Once you get to the fleet other Marines will judge you on whether or not you have your sh1t together in the field. Don't show up to the Fleet being arrogant or cocky, just do your job, show that you can keep up in the field, and you'll fit in. I think it looks like a good opportunity, make the most of it.

Semper Fi
    (and Go Broncos!)

Your basic thoughts and concerns are valid I believe. The scenario you bring up of joining a MOS as a NCO with little to no knowledge/experience is not that uncommon however. The Marine Corps is constantly trying to balance its MOS communities and one way it accomplishes that is through lateral moves (changing your primary MOS). Ideally, a lateral move will be from an overpopulated MOS into an underpopulated one. Regardless, this means Marines with formal education and experience in one MOS sometimes switch over to a new MOS (normally at reenlistment time when they sign a new contract and are a NCO). In essence, this is what you describe happening going from a 2 year stint as SF, picking up rank, and then heading to a grunt unit in the fleet - basically starting from scratch. Point is, this scenario happens more often than you realize. I believe you are overthinking it.

One more thing to point out. Your recruiters get their marching orders (quotas) from their district headquarters (they don't just come up with this stuff on their own). This could explain the sudden shift from a straight UH program to a UV program. Word came down from district that they need to sign more UV contracts so that's what the gunny is going to push. Realistically, you don't have much of a choice so they're trying to "sugar coat it" to take the bad taste out of your mouth. There is no rule saying you have to ship to bootcamp before being in your DEP for 365 days. If you want to play hardball, and call their bluff, you can always tell them you won't ship unless you sign a straight UH program. If you're as bada$$ as you claim, there is a good chance you'll get what you want (but no guarantee).

Good luck.

Thanks for the information guys, awesome stuff. Definitely makes me feel a little better about going the Security Forces. I'll post updates in the future to hopefully help anyone else out in the future.

Thread Information