Firearms training during 1969--1974
Create Post

Firearms training during 1969--1974

I have a friend (former Marine) who repeatedly brings up that he was trained (back then) with the m-16 to "shoot from the hip" and how he amazes people with his accurate fire knocking over bowling pins (now) with his 16" bbl Tec-9 or Mini-14.
    I want to call B.S. but am always cordial and let him tell his tale.
    As a former 30+ year NRA/DOJ instructor and independent armorer, I find this hard to buy. An M-60 maybe, but not the M-16.
    I never say anything...he's a good guy and is just trying to impress me.
    So guys,....any of you that were trained or did the training during this period, was the shoot from the hip a last ditch technique, or is this total B.S. ???

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I was in Infantry Training Regiment (1971), they taught us a technique with the M-16 called "quick kill." It wasn't "shooting from the hip," but from the shoulder without using sights. The technique was designed for riflemen to react quickly and lethally to an ambush situation in fairly close quarters.

We started out using BB rifles to shoot at quarter sized targets that were thrown above or below eye level. With remarkably little practice, I could hit the darned things more often than not. We ended up shooting at dime sized targets.

We then moved to live fire lanes and shot at pop-up targets that required us to shoot above and below eye level. Again, with little practice, it was pretty easy to do.

I don't know if your friend is referring to this as "hip shooting," but as a long time police firearms instructor, I would not term it such.

Credits
    Savings
    * You don't mention distance -

but ask yourself first if you believe
    someone could do it with a pistol ?

shooting from the hip is not un-known
    Pistols and rifles .

Before my time, and I wasn't a grunt so my rifle training was just boot camp and refresher stuff. But I wouldn't necessarily call that BS without more details. Like Zulu says, maybe he's talking about "point" shooting or something? And Ed's question about distance is important.

I can't do it worth a crap myself, but I've seen some pretty impressive shooting that seems "unaimed". So maybe.

I'll bet Jerry Miculek could pull it off!

s/f

As late as 2000 we were being taught that at close ranges (CQB/MOUT) to extend the pointer finger of your support hand along the rifle handguards. If you can point at it, at close range, you can hit it instinctively. Still far better to gain a brief sight picture though, if there's time and it's possible.

1903bluebill,

I believe the individual is doing what many do, EMBELLISH, fill in the blanks so-to-speak to impress those that don't have a true clue...

Zulu is correct with the actual name of "Quick-Kill", it was the forerunner of what is now referred to as "Instinctive Shooting" or "Point Shooting" used in today's CQB/MOUT that is mentioned by Silverado...

Many techniques are taught involving shooting in combative situations, but the terminology changes with time...

Thread Information