CrossFit?
Create Post

Thread: CrossFit?

CrossFit?

Recently I had to end my Cross Fit gym membership due to the cost and time management and the high risk of injury. I had been training with my Police Explorer adviser who is a Marine. He told me that if I quit this, Cross Fit, I shouldn't have enlisted. Now I respect his opinions and look to him as a mentor, so I was curious, does boot camp emphasize exercises or techniques used in Cross Fit? I train using body weight and power lifting instead due to the availability of it and the results I have already seen.

Similar Threads:

You should be asking your recruiter this question. They are responsible for preparing you both mentally and physically for bootcamp (not your advisor). Your goal is to pass the Initial Strength Test (IST) which is required to ship to bootcamp.

Good luck.

Crossfitters are a weird cult. Don't get me wrong, some are in phenomenal shape and do stuff the right way, but it's a cult and plenty drink the kool-aid. Crossfit "themed" exercises are common in the military, but not with Olympic waits and so fourth. There are a lot of calisthenics, body weight exercises, and so forth.

Prior to boot camp you should focus on push-ups, pull-ups, core exercises, and running. Light weight lifting is fine too. Every type of "athlete" is in the Marine Corps from the computer-gamer who can just barely pass a PFT, to triathletes, to cross-fitters, to power-lifters. In boot camp, you will do a lot of body weight exercises like planks, air squats, burpees, push-ups and pull-ups. You need not do these prior to going to boot camp, but doing so will make it a little easier. Running and doing pull-ups and sit-ups is as much as many do prior to going to boot.

I would say if you quit this because it was too hard, yea maybe you should avoid the USMC. If you quit it because it was a stupid cult of people overseen by fake trainers who don't know how to coach people in a way that prevents injury, and who charge an asinine amount of money, than tell your crossfit cult buddy to back off.

I never did crossfit and always was a high 1st class PFTer. This is probably the same for MOST Marines.

Mike

You DON'T have to be a Crossfit athlete to get through boot camp. A buddy of mine from the Corps (who subsequently got out of the Corps and joined Army Airbone...go figure) turned me on to Crossfit about 15 years ago. At that time, the only people using it were police and military. His Airborne troops were doing it and he told me about it. There were NO Crossfit gyms at that time so I just followed the workouts at my own gym...people looked at me like I was crazy. I like it, but it really was just a way to do cross training. Mix cardio with strength training and do it in different ways. Not really rocket science. But these days there is a Crossfit gym on every corner and not all the trainers know what they are doing. I went to a crossfit gym a couple of years ago (I had a Groupon and thought I would try it) and ended up FU*CKING up my shoulder because of a bad trainer and not enough supervision. If you quit Crossfit because it was hard, well, you'll have a LOT of hard days ahead in the Corps. But if you quit for other reasons, don't sweat it.

Thread Information