USMC reserves in college until commision?
Create Post

USMC reserves in college until commision?

I met my recruiter yesterday and I mentioned I was interested in NROTC and PLC, and he brought up another option. He said I could do DEP until I can go to bootcamp, then go and become an E-2 (eagle scout). Then I could go to college while in the reserve, and the GI bill for Wisconsin would pay for most of it. (I live in WI, he is in MN). After I graduate, I can go to OCS then earn my commission.

Also, if I do this and the GI bill covers it, can I only go to a Wisconsin college or can I go to another state?

Similar Threads:

Don't know. GOOGLE "Montgomery GI Bill".

To my knowledge you don't rate the GI bill in the reserves unless they change it. Unless your state has something like the Texas Hazlewood Act where if you enlist in that state then instate tuition to certain schools is free.

Apart from the GI Bill question (I know it's changed some from the 80s when I was in, USMCR, when Reservists didn't rate a dime), don't count on enlisting and then getting a commission.

It's possible, but I've only ever met 2 or 3 Marines who were able to go from E-x to O-x in the Reserve. With drawdowns and reallocations over recent years, it's even harder from the little I've heard. If you're really squared away, top 1% of 1% in the enlisted ranks, and in a high priority MOS, you might be able to go MCEP or whatever the equivalent is now.

But if you don't start off in one of the commissioning programs (NROTC, PLC, whatever), my old geezer advice is to not count on getting a commission later.

Nothing wrong with being an enlisted Marine, I'm proud of my rocker, but if you really want to be an officer, go for that first.

s/f!

Thanks for the info. I am going to my recruiter today for PT (Mondays and Wens. are PT days for poolees) and I meet with him officially on Thursday. I'm confident I want to do PLC now, but still apply for NROTC if I can get it. If not, PLC. Thanks for all the help.

The GI Bill is next to nothing in the reserves and a complete waste. Put it this way, I'm a reservist who recently decided to go back to college. I haven't even tried to use the GI Bill. Part of my reasoning is I already have a full time firefighter job and I'm only taking 1-2 classes at a time. The GI Bill is good for 18 years after my separation. If we were to be activated and deploy(who knows what happens in the future) the GI Bill improves for me. So it was smarter to save it up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I got from my research.

Also there are some college that have lower tuition for military. I pay $250 instead of $500/credit hour just because I'm a Marine. Might be something to look out for.

-Fellow Wisconsinite

Read this link, these are your options once you're in:
    http://www.marines.com/m/becoming-a-...oning-programs

from what I've heard though College benefit for reserves are completely uses, something like $100 for every $1,000 tuition, unless you build up a certain amount of active duty time. Definitely recommend doing ROTC and then getting commissioned

Thread Information